United Way

barnyard

KTM rider
I used to be one of the biggest contributors at my center until i found out that 70 cents or more of every dollar collected goes to expenses for united way. if you can refute this by posting a link, by all means do.

the last 3 years I have given directly to my old boy scout camp. it's very satisfying to see 100% of the money going to good use.

They would lose their tax status as a 501c3 if they had 70% overhead. By law, a 501c3 cannot have expenses over 50% of income. As one of the largest non-profits in the nation, I would think that the IRS watches them to make sure they are within the law.

Believe it or not, non-profits are regulated even more than regular business.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I used to be one of the biggest contributors at my center until i found out that 70 cents or more of every dollar collected goes to expenses for united way. if you can refute this by posting a link, by all means do.

the last 3 years I have given directly to my old boy scout camp. it's very satisfying to see 100% of the money going to good use.

It's 7 cents of every dollar.
That's very good for these type of organizations.

If someone told you 70 cents then that is free advise to you to not believe anything that person says.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Do you really think that UPS would choose to work with a charity with that level of overhead?

I'm a big believer of never giving money, fundings, to charity.

I dont think people should give anything to those big type charities. Such examples, the red cross, have 3 CEOs making 6 figures a year. A nice link to look at here. This proves that their CEOs get as much, even at retirement, plus benefits. People can debate all they want about these charity groups, the fact remains they use a lot of it to fund their own employees.

I'd say, if you really want to help someone, give blood. Its apart of you and saves lives. Although hospitals make around 600$ off that pint of blood, still its something that just might change someones life forever.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The American Red Cross collects blood, and they are a charity, just saying. I do have a 90 year old anemic uncle that is a WW2 vet, and he can't get blood right now because of a shortage. I wish we were the same blood type.

The reason large charities pay big salaries to their CEOs is because that CEO knows how to bring in the funds to run it. It would be nice if a retired person could just volunteer to run it for free, but you have to pay competitive salaries to get top notch people in those positions.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I'd say, if you really want to help someone, give blood. Its apart of you and saves lives. Although hospitals make around 600$ off that pint of blood, still its something that just might change someones life forever.

I also want to remind everyone to think about being an organ donor. Sign your DL; tell your family...

worldwide

Can you post a link showing that 70 cents or more of every dollar goes to expenses for United Way?

In another thread you posted "i read that UPS is going to start cutbacks from 20-25% over the next two years." Still waiting for the link to that...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anyway.....the only point I was trying to make when starting this thread is that we are all fortunate to have good paying jobs with benefits while an increasing number of people are lucky to even have a job, let alone benefits. Set aside any personal feelings that you may have toward the company when deciding whether you wish to donate or not. Dave.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"..........we are all fortunate to have good paying jobs with benefits while an increasing number of people are lucky to even have a job, let alone benefits......"

Gee I hope everyone thinks this way at contract time.

A

anonymous6

They would lose their tax status as a 501c3 if they had 70% overhead. By law, a 501c3 cannot have expenses over 50% of income. As one of the largest non-profits in the nation, I would think that the IRS watches them to make sure they are within the law.

Believe it or not, non-profits are regulated even more than regular business.

I believe you and stand corrected. several years ago the United Way was going through several scandals, ( it might of been certain chapters and not national )

I still find it much more satisfying giving locally

tourists24

Anyway.....the only point I was trying to make when starting this thread is that we are all fortunate to have good paying jobs with benefits while an increasing number of people are lucky to even have a job, let alone benefits. Set aside any personal feelings that you may have toward the company when deciding whether you wish to donate or not. Dave.
I decided a long time ago to not put aside my feelings after the way people have been treated if they decide to not give through UPS. So I made an agreement with my supervision. I have 2 charities that have always been my favorites to give to. They are on the list but I tell management every year that I will personally go down to these 2 and give extra since its that time of year. I follow through on it and yet it has never been a satisfactory answer for my supervisors. Its irrelevant though; the charities of my choosing still gets my money.

bumped

I decided a long time ago to not put aside my feelings after the way people have been treated if they decide to not give through UPS. So I made an agreement with my supervision. I have 2 charities that have always been my favorites to give to. They are on the list but I tell management every year that I will personally go down to these 2 and give extra since its that time of year. I follow through on it and yet it has never been a satisfactory answer for my supervisors. Its irrelevant though; the charities of my choosing still gets my money.

Its more about PR than it is about actually giving.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

I understand the need to bash UPS and the United Way.
Please start your own thread and bash away....I promise I will stay away from it.

Stop for a moment before you make the choice to attack those of us that believe in the United Way.
Stop and think before you bash UPS.

Think about that gust of wind that changed the lives of those that made Joplin or Tuscaloosa home.

Think about the wave that washed away people in Japan and away of making a living as a farmer in the Mississippi Valley.

Think about violence and blood of an innocent staining designated walkways in Egypt, Mexico, Greece, Great Britain, Libya and a few cities in the United States.

Think about it.

You live in Tuscaloosa, you lost everything.
The family down the street, lost everything.
The largest employer in the area - gone.
You still have a job.You work for UPS.

Think about it.
You work for UPS.
You have a job ....

Your neighbor is a diabetic and needs insulin.

Your mother is in a wheelchair and was found alive under her bed frame.
She is unable to attend to her hygiene.
You can call EAP (employee assistance program).

Donations start filtering...
Clothing. You need clean unused underwear not cast offs.
Food. You don't have a place to store or refrigerate it.
You start to see the value of CASH donations.

CASH.

The United Way assists in making vital programs available by distributing cash.