Unloader Part-Time Employees - love it or hate it?

teeitupmo

I have a full time 8 to 5 job and have worked as a part-time UPS employee since 2004.

I have preloaded, sorted, worked in smalls, Irregs, and unloaded.

Out of all of those jobs, I prefer to Unload.

I like dictating the pace, I like being in the truck by myself, with no one yelling and screaming. No drama. It keeps me very physically fit and strong, as I work at a very fast pace. I put in my headphones and either put on music, podcasts, or an audiobook and starting unloading.

Bottom line, I just want to do my job, get the daily work done, and get out of there.

Many people that start as unloaders, can’t take the work or eventually want to switch to other jobs.

Am I crazy? Am I limiting my UPS part-time ceiling by just wanting to Unload?

Anyone else feel similar to me?

I am curious about your opinions and thoughts.

Thank you in advance.

You're like one of four happy people I have ever heard say that they are "happy" at UPS.

Every other PT job is going to involve a lot more stress and pace that is dictated by others. Just stay where you are.

I have a full time 8 to 5 job and have worked as a part-time UPS employee since 2004.

I like dictating the pace, I like being in the truck by myself, with no one yelling and screaming. No drama. It keeps me very physically fit and strong, as I work at a very fast pace. I put in my headphones and either put on music, podcasts, or an audiobook and starting unloading.

Bottom line, I just want to do my job, get the daily work done, and get out of there.

Many people that start as unloaders, can’t take the work or eventually want to switch to other jobs.

Thank you in advance.
Do what you want to do.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

Thank you in advance.
If you have no goals or ambitions in life and just want to be poor and part time forever go for it.

If you have no goals or ambitions in life and just want to be poor and part time forever go for it.
The OP stated he works a 9 to 5 FT job and has done about every PT job in his building. He just likes the unload better. I too have worked a lot of other sorts and jobs and being a PT Car Washer and an exception air driver seems to work out best for me. I have seen too many people who thought being a delivery driver is a dream job just to find out they are miserable but making too much money to make a change. Do what you want to do and the hell with what other people think.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
The OP stated he works a 9 to 5 FT job and has done about every PT job in his building. He just likes the unload better. I too have worked a lot of other sorts and jobs and being a PT Car Washer and an exception air driver seems to work out best for me. I have seen too many people who thought being a delivery driver is a dream job just to find out they are miserable but making too much money to make a change. Do what you want to do and the hell with what other people think.
True that. I thought he was asking for advice here. My bad.

trickpony1

Unload starts first and are usually the first people out of the building. It doesn't drag on forever like outbound and preload. If you like it stay there.

Be sure to work enough hours to get pension credit each year.

teeitupmo

Unload starts first and are usually the first people out of the building. It doesn't drag on forever like outbound and preload. If you like it stay there.

Be sure to work enough hours to get pension credit each year.

Yep! We have 15 doors running during the unload. Me an another guy are always the first to go. We get our work done and we are out. Usually our SPA people as well, but the sorters always have to stick around to help other doors or are sent to other departments.

How many hours are required for pension credits?

trickpony1

The company may administer the PT retirement.
You might have to ask them, which can be scary because if they don't know they'll make something up.

suff0cati0n

Under Paid Slave
In my hub, the only thing I hate in the unload is they have NO ONE doing any sort of tape-ups while we're unloading the trucks. I literally have to jump over or step on packages to get to the next truck. The customer matters though right? Our inbound sup usually sends a few of our guys away and we always get those new hires who turn around and quit. I'm just trying to keep myself together by working safe, and working as instructed.

unloady

Honestly, unload is the best position in the building. It's easy and it's perfect for those who work a day job. Start early and leave early. Unless you are seriously hurting for extra hours or if part time UPS is your only job I would not leave the unload. Once you gain some seniority you can always stay and bump others after unload is wrapped up and help out on the boxlines if you really need that extra time.

1017Russia

True that. I thought he was asking for advice here. My bad.
You claim you “thought” which I find it hard to believe, your goal was to be “edgy” for attention, had you been thinking to begin with it wouldn’t have been so hard to actually read and process what you read before nagging like an old lady

The Range

In too deep
The people sorting the unloaders 1 on 1 have the better job. Leave at the same time as unloaders, climate-controlled, generally laid-back environment and not as physically demanding once your shoulders adjust. Yeah, the unloader sets the pace but the sorter can belt stop until they get the unloader (pph) they desire. I'm splitting hairs here. I agree with the rest of your post but union needs to take better care of their long-time part-timers. Our negotiated pay over last decade has not outpaced minimum wage increase in many states and the company is willing to pay more + bonuses to new hires while the union looks inept. The insurance is a red herring in that debate.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You claim you “thought” which I find it hard to believe, your goal was to be “edgy” for attention, had you been thinking to begin with it wouldn’t have been so hard to actually read and process what you read before nagging like an old lady

Uh dog Bakers been MIA for about five years
Why don’t you take a hike

The people sorting the unloaders 1 on 1 have the better job. Leave at the same time as unloaders, climate-controlled, generally laid-back environment and not as physically demanding once your shoulders adjust. Yeah, the unloader sets the pace but the sorter can belt stop until they get the unloader (pph) they desire. I'm splitting hairs here. I agree with the rest of your post but union needs to take better care of their long-time part-timers. Our negotiated pay over last decade has not outpaced minimum wage increase in many states and the company is willing to pay more + bonuses to new hires while the union looks inept. The insurance is a red herring in that debate.
Where is this climate controlled building? I agree with everything else you say.