UPS accused by New York of illegal cigarette shipments

PT Car Washer

From what I've witnessed it don't seem to hurt the poor much. Every "poor" person I see seems to have a cig hanging off their lips. I was in Walgrens the other day and the young gal in front of me laid a thing of cough medicine down and had the clerk get her 2 packages of American Sprit cigarettes. She only had enough money for 2 of the three items. Guess which two she kept.
That would be an addiction. Trade your health or a meal for a dose of nicotine.

rod

Retired 22 years
I haven't had a kid in K-12 school in 20 years. Does that mean I shouldn't have to pay school district taxes? From what I've witnesses around here it don't appear we are getting much bang for our buck. We've got beautiful schools with 30 foot high entryways (just extra space to heat all winter) , piped in music, swimming pools that would rival any Olympic pool out there and yet the yearly grads still struggle to make change for a buck. It was just announced this week that out school district is after another 2.2 million dollars to freshen up some class rooms and (here we go again) redesign the entry way on one of the grade schools. I just laugh anymore when some crybaby school board member or educator says "its for the kids". BS.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree. Feed your addiction or feed yourself.

I agree that cigarettes are an unhealthy addiction, but that is beside the point.

The point.... it that it is inherently unfair for a majority to impose a ruinous tax upon a minority who not have enough votes to protect themselves from it. That is sort of like 3 wolves and 1 lamb voting upon what will be served for dinner.

I have no problem with the idea of putting an appropriate tax on cigarettes that is earmarked specifically towards paying for the increased health care costs associated with their use, but that isn't what is happening in New York.

bbsam

Staff member
I agree that cigarettes are an unhealthy addiction, but that is beside the point.

The point.... it that it is inherently unfair for a majority to impose a ruinous tax upon a minority who not have enough votes to protect themselves from it. That is sort of like 3 wolves and 1 lamb voting upon what will be served for dinner.

I have no problem with the idea of putting an appropriate tax on cigarettes that is earmarked specifically towards paying for the increased health care costs associated with their use, but that isn't what is happening in New York.
But isn't that basically how every tax gets passed? Nobody votes to raise their own taxes. You're really talking about the margin by which the tax passes and that margin gives the appearance that is majority seems tyrannical.

oldngray

nowhere special
Sin taxes are usually the first place the government looks when it wants more money. People can't complain too much about it but eventually the taxes get ridiculous.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
But isn't that basically how every tax gets passed? Nobody votes to raise their own taxes. You're really talking about the margin by which the tax passes and that margin gives the appearance that is majority seems tyrannical.
The tax on cigarettes in New York is ruinous, ridiculous, and out of all proportion to the tax charged in any other state, to the point that a black market in smuggled cigarettes has been created. And it is a tax that has been targeted specifically at a minority that cant protect itself. Sales taxes and income taxes, on the other hand, apply to all people.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I haven't had a kid in K-12 school in 20 years. Does that mean I shouldn't have to pay school district taxes? From what I've witnesses around here it don't appear we are getting much bang for our buck. We've got beautiful schools with 30 foot high entryways (just extra space to heat all winter) , piped in music, swimming pools that would rival any Olympic pool out there and yet the yearly grads still struggle to make change for a buck. It was just announced this week that out school district is after another 2.2 million dollars to freshen up some class rooms and (here we go again) redesign the entry way on one of the grade schools. I just laugh anymore when some crybaby school board member or educator says "its for the kids". BS.

The New York World's Fair in 1964 was state of the art but eventually it will always need an upgrade if you want to keep it up to par. I have neighbors behind me that fought tooth and nail that the elementary school that had their kids in it was not good enough and needed improvement, then their kids were no longer there and didn't want to pay for asbestos removal and upgrades. As taxpayers, we are obligated to keep schools up to par. It keeps the community young and helps the tax base. It's like young people not wanting to fund the senior center. It's the community as a whole that appreciates.

oldngray

nowhere special
The New York World's Fair in 1964 was state of the art but eventually it will always need an upgrade if you want to keep it up to par. I have neighbors behind me that fought tooth and nail that the elementary school that had their kids in it was not good enough and needed improvement, then their kids were no longer there and didn't want to pay for asbestos removal and upgrades. As taxpayers, we are obligated to keep schools up to par. It keeps the community young and helps the tax base. It's like young people not wanting to fund the senior center. It's the community as a whole that appreciates.

The schools need to be good stewards of the taxpayers money and not waste it. A couple of years ago the city near me bought iPads for all high school students in the ghetto. That lasted 2 or 3 weeks before all were missing or damaged and the school cancelled the program. Also at the end of the school year if the school has any money left it goes on a spending spree buying stuff they don't need so it all gets spent (from fear of their budget being cut if they don't). I believe in supporting schools but not blindly throwing money at them without accountability.

Packmule

If it's not going to elaborate buildings, while others are falling apart and full of mold, it's going straight into the pockets of superintendents and their legeons of assistants.
Wouldn't mind seeing a reasonable increase if it went to teachers and THEIR assistants. 6 grandchildren in the district, I'm willing. But put the money where it needs to go.

clean hairy

Scool Districts cry how poor they are and can't afford what is required to give our kids a good education.
YET, they have millions to spend on a Football Stadium!
Case in point, check out how the Allen High School stadium.
Falling apart and not being used due to cheap materials.
Can't remeber offhand, 10 or 15 mil?

UPSGUY72

I thought the high taxes were to discourage consumption. Unfortunately it is an unfair tax as it hurts the poor much more then the wealthy.

In reality the government doesn't really want people to quit smoking but it would be bad PR to really say that. Smoking does two things the government likes. First they collect more taxes and second some people that smoke will die sooner so they don't collect Social security or use medicare.