UPS California off the street rate?

boxhandler

While CA is a large state, and the OP didn't specify where he'd like to move to, California dreamin' usually doesn't refer to Fresno.

A pet peeve of mine is how misinformation posted on BrownCafe, which has become the "go to" website for UPS employees, has become a Bible of sorts; I frequently hear at work 'the contract guarantees educational transfers, and according to BC all I need to do is sign up for classes at a local community college near where I'd like to transfer to.' This is not true -- you need to demonstrate an educational opportunity; a 30-year-old from Gary, IN with no previous college signing up for classes in Miami, FL has not demonstrated an opportunity. But a 30-year-old with an associates degree who's been accepted into the University of Miami has.

And imagine if a 6-year employee in Orange County, CA quit and re-hired into another Los Angeles-area facility as a FT driver, leap frogging employees with twice his seniority. What the OP is attempting to do is absolutely no different, even if he's currently in IL.

If the OP desires to move out West, he has my blessings and encouragement. But honestly, posters on BrownCafe need to stop encouraging those who attempt to circumvent the contract -- especially since UPS management is smarter than you think, and efforts are generally fruitless anyway.

I've come here for Q&A a few times. And California being the 8th largest economy in the world leaves a lot to interoperate of what it's all about. But doesn't the contract allow for a part timer to bid a full time position in another building if seniority allows? Not saying that's the case cross country and could be wrong. But thought covered by same local LA/Orange County was possible.

Everyone has an opinion. Like it or not this is mine.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
That's what im saying stp. Cost an arm and a leg to live there. Economy is trash out there, if theres ever a retarded size earthquake, it will be out in the ocean somewhere, mudslides, and drought. I don't live there granted but know people that have lived there in the last 10 years and theres plenty of information on California you can read about on internet. Don't get me wrong when I was out in San Diego many years ago, I aint going to lie to ya I was digging it. It was super cool. But to live there all year, nah too many negatives for me. That's just my opinion but in the end everywhere you go has positives and negatives of living there.

MAKAVELI

That's what im saying stp. Cost an arm and a leg to live there. Economy is trash out there, if theres ever a retarded size earthquake, it will be out in the ocean somewhere, mudslides, and drought. I don't live there granted but know people that have lived there in the last 10 years and theres plenty of information on California you can read about on internet. Don't get me wrong when I was out in San Diego many years ago, I aint going to lie to ya I was digging it. It was super cool. But to live there all year, nah too many negatives for me. That's just my opinion but in the end everywhere you go has positives and negatives of living there.
All the negatives but yet it's home to 38+ million and two world class cities. It may not be perfect, but it is the best place to live in the continental US.

LagunaBrown

I have been working for UPS as a part time loader for 6 years, I live in Illinois, I can be a driver already, however, I want to transfer to California, I know if i transfer I would be at the bottom of the list (which sucks :/). I am considering quitting my job and just try to apply in Cali to get hired off the street. would I get preference over people who has never worked at UPS? , since I know what im doing I have been seasonal driver and driver helper. do you guys think this is a good idea? thank you! :D

No.

Sac Steve

I transferred from the San Fernando (LA) to the Sacramento hub in '11. I put in an educational transfer and was denied, although I was transferring from a CC to university full time.... UPS HR advised me to take a "leave" and move up north until they decide to transfer me. Took two months and they let me on with one week before me leave expired and I was terminated. Turns out they took on a dozen or so street hires in the time I was on the couch. Don't make any decisions until you get that EDU transfer in. CA pay rate is $8.75 starting I believe. SoCal locals (such as 396 in LA) are joke (laid off twice in 4 years and second time was due to altered contract). NorCal region has a beautiful contract with lush benees...

Pooter

Out of curiosity, how many miles/stop is average for a SoCal driver?

Are you guys even allowed to hop on the 405/ I5?

I imagine the routes are extremely tight just to combat traffic. Totally different beast than the Midwest.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I've come here for Q&A a few times. And California being the 8th largest economy in the world leaves a lot to interoperate of what it's all about. But doesn't the contract allow for a part timer to bid a full time position in another building if seniority allows? Not saying that's the case cross country and could be wrong. But thought covered by same local LA/Orange County was possible.

Everyone has an opinion. Like it or not this is mine.

(Although the post you quoted is from mid-summer...)
The OP was seeking to transfer from IL to CA. The national contract prohibits transfers other than those for educational purposes - and even then your seniority is end-tailed. Some local/regional riders may allow PTers to bid on FT positions within neighboring facilities -- I honestly don't know -- but that's not what was asked.

I completely agree that people should be able to live where they choose. But they should also adhere to the contract, which prohibits national transfers, expect for education. If they're pursuing their education, wonderful, then seek the transfer. If not, talk to HR and arrange a quit-and-rehire strategy. You'll lose your company seniority for pay & benefits but you're going to be end-tailed, anyway.

And lastly, educational transfers are somewhat difficult to obtain, anyway, even when legitimate. The advise on BC that it's as simple as registering for CC classes, then dropping once it's approved is complete fantasy.

shyne504

I been working at ups since 2006. I transfer to another building because of school reasons. But when I finish school I came back to my original building. But when it came down for me to become a full time driver. I was told I can't because I lost my building seniority but no one never told me this and it's not in the union handbook stating that. So I need answers on how can I keep my original seniority. Thanks

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I been working at ups since 2006. I transfer to another building because of school reasons. But when I finish school I came back to my original building. But when it came down for me to become a full time driver. I was told I can't because I lost my building seniority but no one never told me this and it's not in the union handbook stating that. So I need answers on how can I keep my original seniority. Thanks.

Are you hoping that the more times you post this that the answer may change?

You retain your original seniority date for vacations and pension but lose it for bidding, which is only fair.