UPS Driver in Pleasantdale Hub commited suicide,suicide note blamed job stress

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I totally understand the mind of a depressed person. My family is a poster child for manice depression. its a tough disease to fight. Luckily I did not inherit the disease to the point my family members did. I can say having a son who went through this gut wrenching experience, the ones left behind pay forever. So that is why I call it a selfish deed.
I just think, if you have the ability to stuff your mouth full of pills or shoot yourself in the head, you have the state of mind, to crash your vehicle and at least have the empathy for those left behind, to make it look accidental. Just my thoughts.

Re-Raise

I totally understand the mind of a depressed person. My family is a poster child for manice depression. its a tough disease to fight. Luckily I did not inherit the disease to the point my family members did. I can say having a son who went through this gut wrenching experience, the ones left behind pay forever. So that is why I call it a selfish deed.
I just think, if you have the ability to stuff your mouth full of pills or shoot yourself in the head, you have the state of mind, to crash your vehicle and at least have the empathy for those left behind, to make it look accidental. Just my thoughts.

Reminds me of reading Death of a Salesman in college.

just_a_number

Even on meds and going to therapy the disease of major depression sometimes beats the meds its very tough to control...u say your family all suffers from mental illness...living with it and living next to it are totally different...i take 5 meds a day significant doses at that and still have to fight the urge and temptation...our brother in pleasantdale...and i speak from experience had no more fight left...i was there jan 24 of this year one pull of the trigger away...so like i said until you have this nasty disease and live with it everyday people will never understand what our lives are like on a daily basis

Feeders101

Please keep the following in mind.
Brown Cafe has a long standing policy of being respectful to the co-workers and family of UPSers that die and
posts in a thread dedicated to a UPSer that has died should be respectful and sorrowful.

If one wants to start another thread, without mentioning the specifics of the dead UPSer, that is fine and in this case, an appropriate thread to discuss the motives, conjecture, causes, blames, etc. that lead to the employees death.

Thank you for being considerate in this time of grief and pain for this employee's co-workers and possibly family.
Please keep the following in mind.
Brown Cafe has a long standing policy of being respectful to the co-workers and family of UPSers that die and
posts in a thread dedicated to a UPSer that has died should be respectful and sorrowful.

If one wants to start another thread, without mentioning the specifics of the dead UPSer, that is fine and in this case, an appropriate thread to discuss the motives, conjecture, causes, blames, etc. that lead to the employees death.

Thank you for being considerate in this time of grief and pain for this employee's co-workers and possibly family.

Prayers for his family, If I posted something inappropriate. I apologize.

UPSgirl2002

So then you go to get help and end up losing even more ... Im sure im not the only one who at one time really loved going to work everyday.. proud upser... now feel like a slave or used up might as well put me outta my misery... 12 years unload takes its toll and the super hero loses powers not needed any more .. so you leave with nothing get pushed out and im not the kill myself kinda person but its totally understandable now.. where I use to think very different...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A management person in Dallas committed suicide recently due to pressures of the job.
It is important to keep perspective and realize that a job at UPS, or any other place, is just a means to make money.
It seems inevitable due to our human nature to derive some sense of purpose from our jobs but balance is absolutely needed in this area.

Find another purpose in your life other than UPS or a job and it will help to smooth out the peaks and valleys.

mercury7

Everyone has a breaking point and not being able to take anymore. Don't be so quick to judge. It could be you that gets to learn what it feels like to be so desperate.

Really sad for this person and their family

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A management person in Dallas committed suicide recently due to pressures of the job.
It is important to keep perspective and realize that a job at UPS, or any other place, is just a means to make money.
It seems inevitable due to our human nature to derive some sense of purpose from our jobs but balance is absolutely needed in this area.

Find another purpose in your life other than UPS or a job and it will help to smooth out the peaks and valleys.

Perspective is adjustable.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
This job is not for everybody. I am sorry that the driver felt like the only way out was suicide. As someone who lives with a mentally fragile person, I have to be on the lookout for signs of depression, and suicide. I am blessed that I have insurance that will pay for the meds she needs, and I have received the training to spot trouble when it comes around.

So far, we have worked thru 5 such times. It can be hard, both on the victim, and caregiver. Instead of feeling sorry for the driver, please take time out, and pray for the those that have been left behind. The family will need it more in the coming months then you will ever know.

Unless you have a chemical imbalance. Sometimes I think ups know some that have these imbalances and bullies them to a point that they break and either give up or snap. It's not really that far out of the realm of possibilities that one of these people with these problems would resort to this. This company needs a culture change.

Ouch

Harassment to management has become the new moral. Please if you have a problem with harassment contact your steward or ba or friend. This job is not worth taking your life. You have a voice and let it be heard. What a tragedy. Prayers for his family and love ones.

8up

Someone just asked me about the suicide down in Dallas, first I'd heard of it nothing in the paper or on the web. Any details on this?

fiddledee

Its unnatural to take your life. Your basic instincts are designed to fight any threats to your life. For that reason I think there has to be me much more then job stress to explain someone fighting that natural instinct to survive.