UPS Driver Liability in the Event of an At Fault Accident

8000Shelf

In the event of an accident where the UPS driver is at fault with a sue happy victim, can the diver him or her self be sued or just the company?
Also how much liability insurance coverage does UPS/liberty mutual have on our trucks?
Is there a way to protect from such an incident through personal coverage like an umbrella policy?

Retiree

Typically both the driver and company are named in any suit filed, but when it comes to settling the claim, the driver usually gets dropped. People are after deep pockets UPS, not the driver. Liberty's policy is written for coverage up to 10 million then there are other carriers that come into play above 10 million.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are fully covered while driving a company vehicle.

The only exceptions that I can think of would be gross negligence, depraved indifference, distracted or impaired driving. I would think in cases such as these the driver could be held financially responsible.

ups1990

Moreover, potentially facing criminal charges as well. Last year, every driver in our center was warned of the dangers of driving unsafe and given the severity, could lead to the driver being charged with a felony case.
It was an eye opener, even for a senior driver as myself. I hope that those ups drivers that love to wear earbuds and like to talk on the phone while driving were listening.

Rainman

Its all good.
I've never heard of a driver held personally responsible financially, but with the screwed up legal system where right is wrong and wrong is right, it wouldn't be surprising. Always CYA, you never know what could happen.

Rainman

Its all good.
.......But be sure to keep your SPORH up which may involve shortcuts like speeding.
I work at the same speed every day. I try to give an honest day's work for a honest day's pay, but I don't worry about production like I used to. I'm not going to lay down on them, but at the same time I'm not trying to be a hero either.