UPS Driver to face charges?

mainebrown

The dog came up on him, and he had every right to defend himself...the owners said the dog is not malicious, well...many people have told me that about their dogs and they've still bit me!

backinbrown

respect my authority
dog came up on him yea

do we know the dog was growling acting vicious i dont know that

i could not tell that from the video

if he was then i guess driver is justified

i have dogs follow me up the steps everyday

Guess i love dogs to much

UPSGUY72

We all must first of all realize that we were not there to see what happen and the video isn't continuous so it's hard to see what the dog was going to do or not going to do.

I have had dog all my life and feel sorry for the dog but the owner is at fault here.

rod

Retired 22 years
Common sense says you defend yourself when a dog is showing signs of aggression. I hope UPS stands behind this driver and I also think a good old fashion lawsuit against the dog owner is warranted. No driver that I know would attack a friendly dog just for the heck of it. These dog owners are idiots. I'm also curious if any driver out there has been "trained to defend themselves in the event they encounter a vicious animal" as Mr. Dan McMakin of UPS Corporate stated. I don't recall this training. Once again -this falls under common sense.:sad-little:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
In that picture,that dog looks like he is ready to lunge at the driver from his stance.I don't blame him.It also could be a DIAD in his hand.The picture is to far away to see if it was a pipe,and as some one else mentoioned who would carry a pipe to stop.If driver knew this stop had a mean dog he would NI it or indirect it.What kind of a dope would even attempt the house knowing that beast was out and bring pipe to deal with him.I side with the driver. 15 yrs on p/car & never bitten,lucky,many close calls!

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I remember when I first became a package car driver being charged by a St. Bernard the size of CUJO while I was half way up to this guys door delivering a microwave oven. I dropped the microwave in the middle of the guys lawn and ran back to the truck. I always thought it was best to avoid any encounter if possible but if not possible it would have been hand to hand combat and trust me I would have severely hurt any dog that tried to sink its teeth into me. I was a rookie then and did learn little tricks to get a dogs attention. Always jiggle a gate before opening and entering a yard. If theres a dog it will usually come running. If at a front door and a dog starts barking and running towards the door after you ring the bell make sure you brace the door with your hand so the dog cant slam into the door and come out to get you. Also used to carry a box of dog bicuits in the truck as a bribe to any hostile dog. They actually sometimes become your friend after they see you a few times and get a treat.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
It's funny, just a couple days ago I was delivering to a house with a German Shepard. He was connected to a clothesline but his leash was held down by a three bags of powder concrete.

Well this dog was a big boy and barking and lunging. As I approached the front door via the driveway, the dog lunged a final time and the leash came out from under the concrete bags.

I nearly crapped myself and ran back to the truck. Luckily the dog could not reach the front porch so I went back and delivered. Very scary seeing a 100lb adult german shepard running toward you.

In the case of the article, we are not suppose to be carrying weapons in our hands. Dog spray(mace) - yes. Biscuits - yes. A club - no. I can see him getting in trouble.
I had a house on my old trip that had a nasty dog chained to a doghouse is their front yard. Well, after a while of the dog pulling left to right on the chain it had become noticable to me that the dog was sawing its way through the wooden doghouse and it was a matter of time before the dog got loose. I ALWAYS made it a point to know where in her yard(and in any other yard-same situation) there was something I could get to and club the dog if I had to. There was a hard rake nearby and that was gonna be my weapon in an emergency. I woulda killed that damn dog without hesitating.

backinbrown

respect my authority
killing dog is too extreme i will do what i have to do to protect myself but that doesn't mean kill a dog

but some of you sound like thats your first thought KILL THE DOG,

THE DOG DOES NOT KNOW YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE

THE DOG IS PROTECTING WHAT IS HIS

SHOULD WE GET BIT NO SHOULD WE PROTECT OURSELVES YES

SHOULD YOUR FIRST THOUGHT BE KILL THE DOG MY OPINION NO

UPSGUY72

killing dog is too extreme i will do what i have to do to protect myself but that doesn't mean kill a dog

but some of you sound like thats your first thought KILL THE DOG,

THE DOG DOES NOT KNOW YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE

THE DOG IS PROTECTING WHAT IS HIS

SHOULD WE GET BIT NO SHOULD WE PROTECT OURSELVES YES

SHOULD YOUR FIRST THOUGHT BE KILL THE DOG MY OPINION NO

I would never try to kill a dog. But I would do anything I had to in order to protect myself. Running away from a dog isn't an option. You can't out run a dog. First I'd throw the package at the dog and go the other way. If that failed I have to use my DIAD to defend myself if the dog got injured in the process that isn't my fault.

backinbrown

respect my authority
I would never try to kill a dog. But I would do anything I had to in order to protect myself. Running away from a dog isn't an option. You can't out run a dog. First I'd throw the package at the dog and go the other way. If that failed I have to use my DIAD to defend myself if the dog got injured in the process that isn't my fault.

I agree 100%

do what you can

comon people you know damn well that you have other options than killing a dog

I am sorry little timmy and susy but the UPS guy killed fluffy

Nice headline for the next days paper

Public will not take kindly to that

some1else

Banned
i got bit 1 time; and not gonna happen again. if there is a dog in the yard i just bag package and toss it to the dog (out the window or from outside the fence) usually they just sit there with it or tear it up. if i get a customer complaint that stop gets a NI1,2,3 if the dog is out

some1else

Banned
btw we had a driver run over a dog. i believe he was nipping at the front wheel and when he took a turn it went under the back. sheriff dep. said dog wasnt on a leash end of story.

UPSGUY72

My training consisted of them tell me to throw something one way and run the other and hope the dog goes towards what you threw.

Stran

Holy Toledo
USE THE METHODS! Had he hit his horn as he came to a stop to get attention and called out"delivery", he would have known the dogs were out before leaving his vehicle. I would have stayed in the truck, hit the horn a few more times, waited a few seconds for someone to come out. If no one was home D.I.R.T. it DOG IN YARD. The clerk calls in our center to have packages picked up or it gets reattempted the next day. Dogs out again..same result!!! No need to take a chance!! Happens quite often out in the country and in the inner city. ALWAYS LOOK FOR SIGNS OF DOGS!! I believe the driver could have handled this way better!!

backinbrown

respect my authority
I had a house on my old trip that had a nasty dog chained to a doghouse is their front yard. Well, after a while of the dog pulling left to right on the chain it had become noticable to me that the dog was sawing its way through the wooden doghouse and it was a matter of time before the dog got loose. I ALWAYS made it a point to know where in her yard(and in any other yard-same situation) there was something I could get to and club the dog if I had to. There was a hard rake nearby and that was gonna be my weapon in an emergency. I woulda killed that damn dog without hesitating.

do you own a dog

if so lets say the one time your dog wasnt tied because i am sure you are going to say your dog would be tied, lets say it wasn't

how would you feel if you came home and found out i killed your dog

would you say dog desearved it or would you be pissed off because i probly could have done something other than kill your dog.

UPSGUY72

USE THE METHODS! Had he hit his horn as he came to a stop to get attention and called out"delivery", he would have known the dogs were out before leaving his vehicle. I would have stayed in the truck, hit the horn a few more times, waited a few seconds for someone to come out. If no one was home D.I.R.T. it DOG IN YARD. The clerk calls in our center to have packages picked up or it gets reattempted the next day. Dogs out again..same result!!! No need to take a chance!! Happens quite often out in the country and in the inner city. ALWAYS LOOK FOR SIGNS OF DOGS!! I believe the driver could have handled this way better!!

WHAT should he have let the dog bit him first and then hit the dog.

Just because you beep you horn doesn't mean every dog is going jump up and see what going on. So every house we come to we now have to beep are horn 10 times. Give me a break If I know there a dog I don't trust at a address in the country the package gets bagged and left as close to the house as I feel comfortable going. In the city Ni1 I'll try again tomorrow after the third attemp I'll notify the clerk that they need to call the people.