UPS Drivers Awarded for Driving Like Grandma

That's awesome! I just started driving for Ups and I love riding grandmas! Excuse me, driving gramdmas.....damn you autocorrect, driving like a grandma. My word!

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The shifter handle in those freightliners is a pain in the ass to shift. You can see him struggling with it. I miss my old workhorse 700. Shifter was so smooth.

Pooter

I'd love to see his planned day :)

This should be proof to newbies that numbers mean nothing. Work steady and safe by methods.

I also agree that he needs to go home already. Then again maybe this is how he enjoys life :/

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think it is a great story. He looks in great shape and looks like he loves his job. And if they give him crap, hes got a lawsuit with age discrimination all over it. But I bet hes the type that says "youngster, mind your manners, you to will be older some day" and they walk away. Good for him!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The shifter handle in those freightliners is a pain in the ass to shift. You can see him struggling with it. I miss my old workhorse 700. Shifter was so smooth.
Its not that bad, problem is you are used to doing one, then the other. Takes half a day, to not grab for the lap belt, or the shifter, and readjust to grabbing for the harness and the automatic. He probably drives an ole pos, and they gave him a new one for this ad.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This poor old guy wouldnt last 5 minutes in our center. They would bury him in stops and expect him to do it in 8 hours.

He would most likely be terminated for production long before he won any awards in my building.

TOS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This poor old guy wouldnt last 5 minutes in our center. They would bury him in stops and expect him to do it in 8 hours.

He would most likely be terminated for production long before he won any awards in my building.

TOS.
Sadly, mine too. But I thought you could not be terminated for production?

feeder05

So you think UPS comes up with these retirement routes…good for him to be able to fix his route so a person can work for as long as he has. Way to go Mr. Mcknight. Keep up the good work.

oldngray

nowhere special
My center had an old package driver with close to 40 years that had a super easy route but still only went out with about 6 hour planned day (by UPS numbers) because he was always at least 3 hours over allow and would never get any more work delivered without help. He wasn't lazy but slow as molasses. He lost time at every stop from stopping to chat with customers or just moving very slow. When anyone else ran his route they were easily 2 or 3 hours under. Rookies could go out blind and still run an hour under. The old driver knew how to game the system and UPS gave up harassing him and just sent him out super light every day. His route will certainly change when he retires though since it changes when anyone else runs his route.