UPS eliminating FDC (International Auditing) Jobs?

InsideUPS

The answer is simple, they won't. Some will be genetically gifted and be ok but for most they will slowly break down their bodies to the point where they will no longer be able to do the job. It normally comes at the worst point because most will be half way through their careers and now feel stuck with no other job skill. At that point they will just try to grind it out and with 10-15 years left it wont happen.

Talked with my long time driver friend the other day that has been limping terribly for the past several years. Bone on bone knee grinding daily in his very early 50's. I told him that I do not know who will be happier when he finally has his two knees replaced as it is painful just to watch him limp in the building daily. He will be having both knees replaced this year as he said he can no longer tolerate the nightly pain as he tries to sleep. Young drivers today have no idea what they face in the future at UPS with todays weights and standards.

F

Frankie's Friend

Talked with my long time driver friend the other day that has been limping terribly for the past several years. Bone on bone knee grinding daily in his very early 50's. I told him that I do not know who will be happier when he finally has his two knees replaced as it is painful just to watch him limp in the building daily. He will be having both knees replaced this year as he said he can no longer tolerate the nightly pain as he tries to sleep. Young drivers today have no idea what they face in the future at UPS with todays weights and standards.
For years the kid's cars had decals in the rear window that stayed "NO FEAR!".

Now it should read "NO COMMON SENSE".

You're indestructible until your aren't.

F

Frankie's Friend

The answer is simple, they won't. Some will be genetically gifted and be ok but for most they will slowly break down their bodies to the point where they will no longer be able to do the job. It normally comes at the worst point because most will be half way through their careers and now feel stuck with no other job skill. At that point they will just try to grind it out and with 10-15 years left it wont happen.
It's like a bad movie.

You feel great for years, maybe some aches and pain from time to time, but in time the great workout is like swimming thru quicksand because it's inevitable that the volume of irregs, over 70# boxed furniture, 140# grills, Amazon pantry, trampolines, and boxes of steel parts will keep growing in your load because the time allowance keeps shrinking and many are too cowardly to face down the management pressuring us to get it done at any (physical) cost.

Indecisi0n

I have to admit that I was very surprised when I started feeling it. I am young and healthy and didn't even pay it any mind at first. Then after a year or so I started waking up feeling like a truck hit me. I thought it was just me getting older but the I would go on vacation and feel like myself again. That's when I saw the light. I have since left and have never felt better.

Dub Brown Eye

I realize this is an older thread. But im interested if anyone knows where these "central processing sites are"? It seems to me like an out source deal like the op stated. Im not sure, but they just implemented these new phones and set up here on 6/17/19. I am a 22.3 international clerk, and this new update has eliminated 30% of my work, by not processing shipments after local sort has ended. If its being done by 3rd party, or part time sups in cubicles, does this fall under change of operation, or flat out taking union work away and subcontracting? I bid the job from driving 5yrs ago as a way to retirement job, and now im concerned that between this, and ie guys wanting me to change my time coding, they may try to cut. So, the question is it worth filing to find out who now is doing my work, or wait till they try to cut?

JustAnotherSup

I realize this is an older thread. But im interested if anyone knows where these "central processing sites are"? It seems to me like an out source deal like the op stated. Im not sure, but they just implemented these new phones and set up here on 6/17/19. I am a 22.3 international clerk, and this new update has eliminated 30% of my work, by not processing shipments after local sort has ended. If its being done by 3rd party, or part time sups in cubicles, does this fall under change of operation, or flat out taking union work away and subcontracting? I bid the job from driving 5yrs ago as a way to retirement job, and now im concerned that between this, and ie guys wanting me to change my time coding, they may try to cut. So, the question is it worth filing to find out who now is doing my work, or wait till they try to cut?

My understanding is that the central processing site is in Louisville, KY. My understanding is also that it's union employees doing the union work on that end, but it's not like I've actually bothered to validate that.

If your international operation is similar to others I'm familiar with, you can expect to see about a 70% reduction in total clerical hours (so obviously, some clerks will not need to be there anymore), and you'll end up with about half a of a part time supervisor overseeing the operation.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
They have been looking to do away with customer counters, or reduce hours, for as long as I have been away. There are a couple P/t people, 22.3 people and 22.2 people in our building at the counter. The P/t employees could be reassigned but the contract guarantees the 22.2 inside people(and their replacements) as well as the number of 22.3 jobs. Could be reassigned but not sure where they would go.

InsideUPS

I was informed by the UPS I.E. International Coordinator that the actual auditing process is now being completed in a centralized location in Louisville Kentucky. I highly doubt that this part of the auditing process is being completed by bargaining unit members but our BA was doubtful about the success of winning a grievance on this issue. If our Union permitted Surepost which is certainly outsourcing part of the delivery of our packages to the USPS, I have to agree that a grievance would have little chance of winning on this issue.

In the meantime.....make sure that ALL your pictures are perfectly taken and cropped! Make sure you image ALL the documents in the invoice pouch. Make sure you now gather ALL parts of the shipment and place them in shipment order just in case you will get a "Image Label and Docs" message. If you are not retrieving your own packages for the initial stage of the auditing process...... make sure you are the one gathering and sorting the shipments. There are a variety of ways to make this newly revised ODC job both safe and accurate. Also.....enjoy the fact that you will no longer be responsible for those difficult AES (>$2500) shipments or all the other headaches responsibilities that these shipments can place upon you. It's now up to Louisville to contact shippers for invoices, etc.. Also REMEMBER..... our contract does NOT RECOGNIZE UPS TIME STANDARDS.

In the meantime....anyone else concerned about the reduction in ODC jobs and hours may wish to present the following language to their BA and UPS.. I believe it certainly applies to ODC operations everywhere...

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 1.12.23 PM.png

PT Car Washer

Just eliminated 3 out of 4 International clerks. PT Union employees but told them to file for unemployment because they could not bump into the hub.

ski or die

Ski or Die
In the mid 90's, the company was attempting to move all clerical work to central locations from across the entire nation which we would be allowed to follow our work. I was a union steward at the time. We fought with them over the issue. Many grievances were filed. Several union stewards from across the nation and I would keep in contact to work together. Our BA did absolutely nothing to help. We had many grievances that eventually were stuck in Panel. I had a personal meeting with Jim Carey who promised he would do his best to help us. The agreement that finally happened was the company was able to move the work but had to provide clerical positions for each and every clerical employee until they retired or left the company. So if they company is moving clerical positions and not providing new clerical jobs, they are in violation of the agreement.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
In the mid 90's, the company was attempting to move all clerical work to central locations from across the entire nation which we would be allowed to follow our work. I was a union steward at the time. We fought with them over the issue. Many grievances were filed. Several union stewards from across the nation and I would keep in contact to work together. Our BA did absolutely nothing to help. We had many grievances that eventually were stuck in Panel. I had a personal meeting with Jim Carey who promised he would do his best to help us. The agreement that finally happened was the company was able to move the work but had to provide clerical positions for each and every clerical employee until they retired or left the company. So if they company is moving clerical positions and not providing new clerical jobs, they are in violation of the agreement.
I presume that you meant Ron Carey. And speaking to your post, the agreement covered the existing but not future clerk positions? National Master? Supplemental language? Year implemented?

PT Car Washer

That’s :censored2:ed up.
To be fair, one is in her 70's and the other two are 50's. Not prime trailer loading stock. Last year when the Day sort was eliminated the twi had to take a lot of career PT employees in their 40's and 50's. Bumped the young loaders out of a job or forced them to work another sort.

ski or die

Ski or Die
I presume that you meant Ron Carey. And speaking to your post, the agreement covered the existing but not future clerk positions? National Master? Supplemental language? Year implemented?
Sorry, it wasn't the Pet Detective. Your correct, Ron Carey. The agreement covered all clerical positions as the company moved Claims and Tracing to Central locations, mostly in right to work states. Anyone in clerical was promised to remain clerical until they retired or left the company. This was agreed on the National level as it was being done all over the country. Some Districts had already moved their work. The company stated the employees whose work was moved could follow their work to Johnson City Tenn. The employees were working out of house trailers. Several employees did follow their work. When the company realized many were going to follow their work, because many had 20 plus years and did not want to throw away their retirement, they come to the agreement. They informed our office in 1996 of their plans. Came in, locked the doors to office with our BA present. He had not said a word to me prior to the announcement. In 1997, they started moving the work to North Carolina to a Kmart store using non-union employees.