UPS exploring same day delivery

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS exploring same day delivery - Fox Business

The idea comes as the acceleration of e-commerce has pushed retailers to add more options

United Parcel Service Inc. is exploring a same-day option, a delivery model that has been employed by gig-economy players, as the pandemic has accelerated the shift to e-commerce.

"We don’t have a same-day product today, so we’re looking at it," Chief Executive Carol Tomé said in response to a question on an investor-day webcast Wednesday. "We don’t have this all the way figured out, but we’ve got a team of people looking at it."

She said the company is testing the concept and didn’t offer other details. A UPS spokesman said the company doesn’t comment on its pilot programs. The idea comes as the acceleration of e-commerce has pushed retailers to add more curbside and same-day delivery options.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We don’t have a same-day product today, so we’re looking at it," Chief Executive Carol Tomé said..

Wallation™

How can we get around the union?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Called it.

I've said this before, if UPS wants to grow in a significant way, we need to get back to our roots and start doing the store/restaurant pickup delivery stuff, along the lines of door dash, uber eats, etc. PVD's would be best suited for that. They could start it as a separate business unit, and negotiate terms with the Union to get that going. Then, during the next contract negotiations, negotiate terms for the other business units (Small Package and Freight) to be able to be more flexible with moving employees around to suit the needs of the market more flexibly (think using the door dash type pvd's and freight in small package during peak, etc.), then I could see UPS do really well domestically. Maybe it would be too complicated, but we need to be able to compete in the changing market place while protecting, and hopefully creating new, good jobs.

So far I have made a number of suggestions on here that the company seems to have subsequently implemented in some fashion. I'd be interested to see how the pvd thing evolves.

rod

Retired 22 years
At one time UPS did offer same day service to major cities but it was REALLY expensive. You more or less bought a seat on a commercial plane for your shipment. I think it had to go out before 10:00 am or something like that.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
There is one thought to this though: hire more (and cheaper) air only drivers (THEY like cheaper labor and I’ve always thought being an air driver was a sweet gig), and take ALL air off RPCD’s everyday!!

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a couple farm implement dealers at the beginning of my route that both had pick-ups. I also had a couple of country farm equipment repair shops at the end of my route. If they ordered parts from those 2 implement dealers the repair shops got their stuff "Same Day". I was told NOT to do that because the stuff should go through the system and be "counted?" but I ignored their stupid orders because these shops gave me nice Christmas presents. You have to look out for "number one".