UPS has a 79-page document that details everything from how to mentally prepare to drop off a package to how to exit vehicles and avoid straining

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS has a 79-page document that details everything from how to mentally prepare to drop off a package to how to exit vehicles and avoid straining - Yahoo

UPS drivers follow a heavily regimented process in order to maintain safety and efficiency on the job.

Delivery drivers have become an increasingly important part of the global ecosystem. UPS alone processes about 6.5% of the US' gross domestic product every day, the company's spokesperson told Insider. As the US faces major supply-chain snags and bottlenecks, heavily engineered processes like UPS' 500-plus delivery methods help keep deliveries flowing.

The company's 79-page "Service Provider Delivery and Pickup Methods" manual breaks down everything from how to pre-plan for stops to how to exit a UPS truck without putting any additional strain on your body, according to a new book from The Wall Street Journal's Christopher Mims. In the book, "Arriving Today: From Factory to Front Door - Why Everything Has Changed About How and What We Buy," Mims details the intricate processes that bring goods from Asia to the US.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
ace-ventura-pacco.gif

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Frisbee is a good thing
Letters. True story, about ten years ago I frisbeed a next day letter from about 20 ft from a porch, it went on the porch roof! Trying to save time! I ended up standing on a hose box and using a tree branch to scrape it off the roof. I’ve since perfected my technique.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Letters. True story, about ten years ago I frisbeed a next day letter from about 20 ft from a porch, it went on the porch roof! Trying to save time! I ended up standing on a hose box and using a tree branch to scrape it off the roof. I’ve since perfected my technique.
Yes yes

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Has anyone ever wondered why we only see the methods that don't cost us time? There are tons of methods that operations management never wants us to see. There's a reason they are not posted everywhere. What would happen if in the morning, every driver in the nation performed a pretrip by ups methods? Corporate would be on a head hunt.

Has anyone ever wondered why we only see the methods that don't cost us time? There are tons of methods that operations management never wants us to see. There's a reason they are not posted everywhere. What would happen if in the morning, every driver in the nation performed a pretrip by ups methods? Corporate would be on a head hunt.
Bend at the knees, grasp each package by opposite corners and test the weight for shifting contents ,how long would it take you during the day?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
There are 340 of them hence the name three forty methods

Cloud

Not a single person would leave the warehouse because every single vehicle would have problems that would not pass this so-called "pretrip inspection"

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
Not a single person would leave the warehouse because every single vehicle would have problems that would not pass this so-called "pretrip inspection"
Then lets start doing our job correctly. Full pre trip every day, and bargaining units on all over 70s

browned out

Absolutely. Where is the afore mentioned 79 page document? Is it the old 340 documents? That seemed like more than 79 pages and has to be antiquated and out dated in many aspects.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
It's IE manual 340 I don't think it ever was in reference to the number of methods or pages.
And it does make sense to a degree of everything going perfectly. Company genuinely cannot fathom how much they set us up to fail out of the starting gate each and every day. Just follow them when you can and it shaves a little bit of time off.