ups hierarchy

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I think they are using the greater than sign as just an arrow. If that helps.

Yes I was. Did not know how to do an arrow....-> --> Thanks.

I should have used the less than...< ...or flipped them around

Corporate > Region Manager > District Manager > Division Manager > Center Manager

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
For package in my area it's me, my on car, the center manager who runs 3 groups (and we have multiple CMs in my building for package), then the DM who runs about half the state, then a manager who runs a couple states. That's as high up the management ladder I've interacted with and about as much as I care to.

When I worked inside as a part timer it was a bit different. It was P/T sup->Wall sup (full time sup who ran 3-4 P/T sups and about 30 guys per friend/T sup. The friend/T wall sups reported to the manager who ran the whole building. That manager oversaw inbound and outbound operations including the unload, sort aisle, irreg train drivers, small sort, outbound feeder loaders and pickoffs, rewrap, etc etc. Basically everything in the building except feeders and perhaps mechanics?
There was one of those building managers for each of the 3 shifts.

UPSGUY72

Could someone explain the ups management hierarchy?

No one in my building even sups and center manager seem to know: is it center manager takes orders from the BA then the district manager is above him then division manager?

In the end it doesn't really matter does it.

Fenris

You apparently have an incompetent Division Manager that the District Manger does not trust. No surprise at UPS.

There are 3 Regions.
There are 20 Districts within these 3 Regions.
There are hundreds of Divisions within these Districts.

Each Division has a Division Manager over all the centers and hubs within his Division.
Each District has a District Manager over all the Division Managers in his District.
Each Region has a Region Manager over all the District Managers in his Region.

Usually, in a small center, the Center Manager is top dog. There is usually not a Building Manager. He is over all the sort and package sups. Sometimes also over the feeder sups, sometimes not. They sometimes have their own Feeder Manager.

In a hub, the Hub Manager is sometimes over, sometimes equal to the center manager. Depends on the hub.

Once you get below the Division Manager, it depends on where you are as to whether the Center Manager, Hub Manager or Building Manager is top dog and who reports to who.

But all these managers report to their Division Manager, who in turn report to their District Manager who in turn report to their Region Manager who in turn report to Corporate.

Confusing isn't it?

Actually down to 2 domestic Regions and 17 districts since the Central Region went away in 2013.

newfie

You apparently have an incompetent Division Manager that the District Manger does not trust. No surprise at UPS.

There are 3 Regions.

Each Division has a Division Manager over all the centers and hubs within his Division.
Each District has a District Manager over all the Division Managers in his District.

Usually, in a small center, the Center Manager is top dog. There is usually not a Building Manager. He is over all the sort and package sups. Sometimes also over the feeder sups, sometimes not. They sometimes have their own Feeder Manager.

In a hub, the Hub Manager is sometimes over, sometimes equal to the center manager. Depends on the hub.

Once you get below the Division Manager, it depends on where you are as to whether the Center Manager, Hub Manager or Building Manager is top dog and who reports to who.

But all these managers report to their Division Manager, who in turn report to their District Manager who in turn report to their Region Manager who in turn report to Corporate.

Confusing isn't it?

You guys keep forgetting the OPS manager. Above the division below the district. Another level they created when they "downsized"

Dr.Brownz

They all report to these intials:

IE! It doesn't matter who you are!

What exactly does IE do that causes them to all report to them? Please share your wisdom

Where exactly do the Plant Engineering wankers fall in?

I'm just trying to understand the large scale structure of this company

box_beeyotch

My guess is if you are interacting with anybody above the level of your center manager, it's probably no bueno...unless your a corporate suck ass.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
What exactly does IE do that causes them to all report to them? Please share your wisdom

IE writes the daily plan. Management executes it via the hourlies.

Plant Engineering is a glorified term for maintenance personnel. I'd probably avoid calling them wankers. I mean, could you replace a primary sort belt or repair a box line?

Dr.Brownz

IE writes the daily plan. Management executes it via the hourlies.

Plant Engineering is a glorified term for maintenance personnel. I'd probably avoid calling them wankers. I mean, could you replace a primary sort belt or repair a box line?

I don't know the wanker from PE came into our PCM about 2 weeks ago and gave us a lame speech about how "the difference with UPS...is service!" yeah service when we show up to your house at 8pm to get a signature, or service when we send your package back after 3 attempts during the middle of the workday and the only way to contact us is through a 1800-number that goes to corporate.

Anyway, couldnt management (like say the center manager or an on car) go to the person above them and say IE's numbers are bad, we need this many routes? Or is it really that :censored2:? What role does accounting play in determining IE's numbers?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

There are 3 Regions.

Confusing isn't it?
My district is situated a little different. It's all small centers so a Center manager essentially is a division manager. For instance my center manager oversees 3 buildings. All the CMs in the district oversee 2-3 buildings. My center manager's title is still center manager and he reports to the district manager. Weird how it is different
Calm down.

He's a pt sup. he knows more than drivers.
Wow I never said that or even implied anything like that. Sorry the hierarchy of my district is something you find upsetting.

IE sets the numbers. Everybody points to corporate as the reason why there are ridiculous metrics, but they're the real bastards.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The bottom line is this; if you are an hourly employee, at no point during your career will you ever have the opportunity to speak to anyone who can make a meaningful operational decision.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The bottom line is this; if you are an hourly employee, at no point during your career will you ever have the opportunity to speak to anyone who can make a meaningful operational decision.

Wasn't always that way.

We used to have TLA's frequently. Over breakfast in the morning with a few or at a hotel reception hall with a bunch.

District Manager showed up quite often to hear our concerns. Some of them were even addressed and fixed.

The good old days when UPS cared about more than just the almighty dollar.

They used to care about the people that made that almighty dollar for them.

Not anymore. They put the stockholders before their employees (and sups)