UPS in 5 years

implemenTAYSHUN

My first post.

Curious about how UPS IT will look in 5 years. Planning to retire in 2023 (maybe sooner)

A couple of questions:

Will MIP still exist? (My guess is no)
Will teleworking (now that's funny based on my team's use of it) still exist?
Will Scott Price be CEO?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Meh, who cares... you're almost at the finish line, congrats!

Stay under the radar, no putting a target on your back.

With a weaker union not representing the best interest of your future teamsters, it's a crapshoot to see what will be at the near future

DieHardUPSER

My first post.

Curious about how UPS IT will look in 5 years. Planning to retire in 2023 (maybe sooner)

A couple of questions:

Will Scott Price be CEO?

Will MIP still exist? (My guess is no) It will change but still exist
Will teleworking (now that's funny based on my team's use of it) still exist? Will expand, there are more and more virtual/remote jobs
Will Scott Price be CEO? Probably

clean hairy

My first post.

A couple of questions:

Will Scott Price be CEO?
Sorry, I doubt anyone has a magic 8 ball that can see that far into the future...

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
DumpsterFire2.jpg

Indecisi0n

My first post.

A couple of questions:

Will Scott Price be CEO?
We will have a lot more wires in 5 years.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
You will probably have 5 more "PEAKS FROM HELL" each one getting worst. Enjoy your purgatory everybody, remember to put on a happy face and when things go real bad whistle while you work. I helped me through the 2017 one.

Well, I think they will do a lot more outsourcing. The older, more experienced and dedicated workers will be forced to retire or leave on their own. They will be replaced with less dedicated IT workers, consultants, and young ones that cycle through and leave quickly once they get some experience. Service will suffer. The company is definitely headed downhill. Upper mgmt does not have a direction, other than to lower costs so their paychecks go up. But you can't do that forever. And when they come under a lot more competitive pressure, it will be a fast sinking ship .....sad ..

PAUPSGuy

You sound like a jaded individual who should immediately hit whatever watering hole you confide in and continue your precious groupthink. There is nothing about UPS that indicates its a "fast sinking ship". There is more pressure to compete in the logistics field but UPSers aren't normal, well most aren't... :wink2:

The company is transitioning and this forum leads to some very good conversations about the future because we all deep down care, even if just a little. Why would you want UPS to suffer when they pay our bills? I'd say the majority of these topics are opinion based. There's a silver lining if you're intelligent enough to see through the bs.

Also, you can't replace anyone with IT workers and consultants. Most IT's have 2-4 year degrees in a field where they are told at the college level they will be hired/fired repeatedly. With this information, they are encouraged to 'make more money' every time. Colleges are bracing the new generation for the murky waters in companies like UPS/Fedex/Amazon/Walmart. None of this is a secret. Pessimism is a cancer kid.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
You sound like a jaded individual who should immediately hit whatever watering hole you confide in and continue your precious groupthink. There is nothing about UPS that indicates its a "fast sinking ship". There is more pressure to compete in the logistics field but UPSers aren't normal, well most aren't... :wink2:

The company is transitioning and this forum leads to some very good conversations about the future because we all deep down care, even if just a little. Why would you want UPS to suffer when they pay our bills? I'd say the majority of these topics are opinion based. There's a silver lining if you're intelligent enough to see through the bs.

Also, you can't replace anyone with IT workers and consultants. Most IT's have 2-4 year degrees in a field where they are told at the college level they will be hired/fired repeatedly. With this information, they are encouraged to 'make more money' every time. Colleges are bracing the new generation for the murky waters in companies like UPS/Fedex/Amazon/Walmart. None of this is a secret. Pessimism is a cancer kid.

I agree. UPS formed and grew in the 20th century. Society, competitive pressures, employees and the economy all changed significantly over the 111 years of UPS, and this change has accelerated over the last 10 years. Companies that don't sense and adapt to change fail. While transformation and change are hard and often messy, they are necessary.

dudebro

Well, I think they will do a lot more outsourcing. The older, more experienced and dedicated workers will be forced to retire or leave on their own. They will be replaced with less dedicated IT workers, consultants, and young ones that cycle through and leave quickly once they get some experience. Service will suffer. The company is definitely headed downhill. Upper mgmt does not have a direction, other than to lower costs so their paychecks go up. But you can't do that forever. And when they come under a lot more competitive pressure, it will be a fast sinking ship .....sad ..

People look at "IT" as a monolith, as though outsourcing is a binary choice. In other words, people think either IT is done in-house OR it's totally done remotely from overseas.

The fact is, you need both. I work directly with overseas IT teams. They're good for the basics.

But you still need a project manager with enough business knowledge to tell the overseas what to put in the programs. Someone has to describe the context of various projects, so, you'll still need IT workers on both sides.

If you're in IT, and you're doing just basic coding that anyone could do, you're a prime candidate to be outsourced. If you're codifying rules that very few people are aware of, they can't just find anyone to replace you. As my stepdad used to say, "just don't be a useless".