UPS in a nutshell

Rox

The most ridiculous place to work! Took the job for benefits (husband self-employed) after spending 15 yrs. in Corp. America and thought it would be a perfect part-time job. Never worked in a union environment before and have to say that I truly pity the drivers and package handlers.

Being a PT Supervisor I've come to learn that UPS' Management philosophy is to lead by (bullying) intimidation. The Managers are not only uneducated but totally unprofessional. Their vulgar language, many indiscretions and deviant behavior is what drives and instills the hostile environment that exists. Union people are like their prey and they sit back and wait for you to make an honest mistake and go in for the kill. (I'm starting to believe that the success of a Manager is based upon how many people they reprimand.) What's surprising is that Management and PT Sups make mistakes daily with absolutely no repercussions. I've seen times where a Manager would make a mistake and turn around and find a way to blame it on a Driver.

UPS needs to wake up and realize that its success is based upon the service provided by their DRIVERS! They are the face that the customers see. In a customer's mind, the DRIVERS are the ones providing the service. I don't understand how UPS does not realize this and treat the Drivers with respect. (With publicity about drivers throwing, kicking packages ... one has to wonder if that driver was reprimanded before going on the road.)

In a nutshell, if you're contemplating working at UPS as a package handler or driver, know that you will be watched, threatened, harassed and without a doubt be disciplined throughout your time there.

I have given my two-weeks notice and have a week to go. I am by no means disgruntled but can no longer work for a company who treats people in such a way and has very little moral ethics. I hope that the above provides insight to those contemplating a job with UPS.

To the Drivers - you do a fantastic job and have made UPS what it is today. Keep up the good work and good luck to you all!

S

selfcancelsignal

If you have any kind of positive work ethic & want to, you'll be fine. If not, it'll bother the shizz out of you. That's why the union is there, to help you with matters such as harrasment. As many on here have said, "It's a game." "Learn it, know it, live it." Play it... If you have to. In my early experiences at Brown, it's best to just stay off the radar.

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
In the 38 years I worked there, I told my wife some of the stuff that went on and some of the shenanigans that management pulled. UPS is so PR driven and image conscious, that my wife accused me of embellishing some of the stuff. The average person on the outside looking in has no idea. Thank you for coming from the dark side and telling it like it is. "Good" supervisors never hang around for very long. You have too many morals to work here. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

TUT

With the flood of money on the top end of society, it bleeds into companies like this. Those at the top want to be socialites in the highest clicks to, to be that way they have to bleed the low end. They just assume the machine is in place, take what you need at the top, everyone's doing it, it's your right.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The most ridiculous place to work! Took the job for benefits (husband self-employed) after spending 15 yrs. in Corp. America and thought it would be a perfect part-time job. Never worked in a union environment before and have to say that I truly pity the drivers and package handlers.

Being a PT Supervisor I've come to learn that UPS' Management philosophy is to lead by (bullying) intimidation. The Managers are not only uneducated but totally unprofessional. Their vulgar language, many indiscretions and deviant behavior is what drives and instills the hostile environment that exists. Union people are like their prey and they sit back and wait for you to make an honest mistake and go in for the kill. (I'm starting to believe that the success of a Manager is based upon how many people they reprimand.) What's surprising is that Management and PT Sups make mistakes daily with absolutely no repercussions. I've seen times where a Manager would make a mistake and turn around and find a way to blame it on a Driver.

UPS needs to wake up and realize that its success is based upon the service provided by their DRIVERS! They are the face that the customers see. In a customer's mind, the DRIVERS are the ones providing the service. I don't understand how UPS does not realize this and treat the Drivers with respect. (With publicity about drivers throwing, kicking packages ... one has to wonder if that driver was reprimanded before going on the road.)

In a nutshell, if you're contemplating working at UPS as a package handler or driver, know that you will be watched, threatened, harassed and without a doubt be disciplined throughout your time there.

I have given my two-weeks notice and have a week to go. I am by no means disgruntled but can no longer work for a company who treats people in such a way and has very little moral ethics. I hope that the above provides insight to those contemplating a job with UPS.

To the Drivers - you do a fantastic job and have made UPS what it is today. Keep up the good work and good luck to you all!
Yeah the job blows but for 33.69 an hour and 50 bux overtime I think ill deal with it. The jobs a mind game and the sooner you realize it the better off you are. All bout playing Hollywood at this job, that's all it is. If someone is mentally weak and can be broken down mentally easily, then its not a job for that person. The job is business and a means to an end is how you have to look at it. Some people just have the wrong approach to it. In society it doesn't work, usually if you love a job your not getting paid enough, its usually the jobs you hate where you get paid like a sumbitch lmfao. Gotta love it lol.

margaritaville

I dont know why they bulk out drivers and give impossible standards. It just leads to service issues, injuries and accidents. Which cost more money. But they just have the short term goals of looking good to people higher up.

my_life_in_a_nutshell.jpeg

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I dont know why they bulk out drivers and give impossible standards. It just leads to service issues, injuries and accidents. Which cost more money. But they just have the short term goals of looking good to people higher up.
That's why you slow down and force them to put extra work on other drivers. If you show them you got to much work and you keep rocking them to sleep til 8 9 10pm eventually they will get the hint. If they put too much work on there and that person continues to bring it in at a decent time then that driver loses. Its all a game, learn how to play it and it will make life easier on yourself.

rod

Retired 22 years

Good luck with what ever you decide to do after UPS. You sound like a caring person that has their head on straight. Unfortunately UPS isn't the only big corporation that don't care about their employees. I would venture to say 99% of them don't. Its all about the "bottom line" now. I guess UPS employees are lucky that what they do can't be just packed up and moved overseas because I'm sure UPS would have jumped on that bandwagon years ago. There are a lot of hourly employees who seem to think the Union is "screwing" them but they don't seem to realize what a thrashing they would take if it wasn't for the Union. The Union is far from perfect but heaven forbid what conditions would be like without them.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Your first mistake was becoming a supervisor. Somebody should have told you not to do it. Once you learn how to ignore management and just say yea or I'll work on it, it is actually a pretty easy job. I do agree with you though, management is just a breeding ground for awful people. I have worked at two other trucking companies and management there was so much better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your first mistake was becoming a supervisor. Somebody should have told you not to do it. Once you learn how to ignore management and just say yea or I'll work on it, it is actually a pretty easy job. I do agree with you though, management is just a breeding ground for awful people. I have worked at two other trucking companies and management there was so much better.

If things were so much better there then why are you here?