UPS just spent $1.76B and bought 8 more 767 freight planes...will cry poverty on next contract

Its_a_me

UPS just bought 8 more 767's from Boeing bringing their total to 108 planes (the bulk of which is to be delivered in 2025). Last year the order was for 19 during the pandemic peak volumes. Each plane is about $220M for a price of $1.76B.

Currently UPS has 238 Boeing/MD's planes.

This was part of their strategy in the last year before (The Best Contract Ever) contract renewal to spend so they could cry poverty.

Its_a_me

They had no problem giving the pilots a big raise
You mean adjusting to market conditions where the airlines will hire pilots without even interviewing conditionally?

Yeah, you'd think they'd get large raises given that labor market.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
They cry poor every contract year. Nothing new. Just remember aunt Carol makes $7000 an hour to scream about what's "wildly important " without doing a damn thing . I'm just glad she lets us come to work looking like a carnival worker now. That matters to her apparently.

qdg2

UPS just bought 8 more 767's from Boeing bringing their total to 108 planes (the bulk of which is to be delivered in 2025). Last year the order was for 19 during the pandemic peak volumes. Each plane is about $220M for a price of $1.76B.

Currently UPS has 238 Boeing/MD's planes.

This was part of their strategy in the last year before (The Best Contract Ever) contract renewal to spend so they could cry poverty.
Hi,

Your credentials please.

So, in your words.....they(UPS) spent $1.76 Billion so their position(strategy) (in contract negotiations) (poverty).....

Nothing to do with equipment replacement or gasp......growth?

While wondering how many of those planes will actually be delivered......(pun intended).

Say, having 238 planes is a good thing......

Tell us more.

qdg2

They cry poor every contract year. Nothing new. Just remember aunt Carol makes $7000 an hour to scream about what's "wildly important " without doing a damn thing . I'm just glad she lets us come to work looking like a carnival worker now. That matters to her apparently.
Those folks always looked like carnies.....just after work and the weekends...

Always amusing watching folks walk into work wearing long sleeves and pants with a 104 deg. forecast.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Those folks always looked like carnies.....just after work and the weekends...

Always amusing watching folks walk into work wearing long sleeves and pants with a 104 deg. forecast.
what you mean the new hires? they don't give them shorts.
and what would I be wearing exactly after work? usually something quick, because newsflash, a lot of time was spent at work.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS always spends a bunch on capital expenditures just before negotiations for a new contract. They can't look like they have a bunch of extra money laying around.

Fenris

Ups releases routine, public financial statements. The Teamsters can easily see annual Cap-Ex spending and look for anomalies. FWIW, Cap ex spending is actually down the last time I looked - better not bigger.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
how much did they spend on those new diad boards that don't seem to work
118B4D4C-DBAF-4833-8A3C-12A392B99F08.gif

Johney

They spent 30 million dollars on an addition to my old building and nothing works like it's supposed to. It really is hilarious.