UPS "Mind Control" Real

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Some companies I have worked for spied on you through the computer. Up to and including an IBM AS400 mainframe. As for spying on railroad workers through the trees here, wouldn't work too well as there are no trees near the tracks.

newfie

I recently read an exert from "ups the totalitarian workplace".
It states that supervisors are supposed to gain your trust to run your career etc. Also, it mentions company spying. There's Also a rumor I heard that upsers.com is a site that can spy on any device it's accessed through. Thoughts or experiences, anyone?

there's tin foil for all that

rod

Retired 22 years
Being that a package drivers job is NOT 8 to 5 it is easy for UPS to play mind games with them. The average driver (yes I know there are a few wackos out there) likes to be off early enough to enjoy a little family time so what does UPS do?--pile on the work. They were famous back when I was driving for really loading you down on Fridays or any day they knew you wanted off early. You learned real quick not to let them know you had plans. I suppose with the 9.5 thing you have now its not so bad. We used to be able to request an 8 hour day once in awhile but that was always UPS's idea of what 8 hours was--not yours.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Being that a package drivers job is NOT 8 to 5 it is easy for UPS to play mind games with them. The average driver (yes I know there are a few wackos out there) likes to be off early enough to enjoy a little family time so what does UPS do?--pile on the work. They were famous back when I was driving for really loading you down on Fridays or any day they knew you wanted off early. You learned real quick not to let them know you had plans. I suppose with the 9.5 thing you have now its not so bad. We used to be able to request an 8 hour day once in awhile but that was always UPS's idea of what 8 hours was--not yours.
same thing in feeder. so many sick calls they would load you up with empty trailer returns until you were maxed out on your hrs.

that stopped for me when i started calling out on fridays and told them why. then they let me do my bid run.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer

Attachments

• downloadfile-1.jpeg
    downloadfile-1.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 84

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How many Managers are even capable of paradigmatic thinking? I think even pragmatic thinking would be a pipe dream for most supervisors.
It was speaking from a holistic point of view.
I doubt if UPS desires District Operations management to effect paradigmatic thinking ... they are responsible for the implementation and control of the desired objectives.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The adjective paradigmatic is a fancy word for describing something that is an ideal or standard. Monet's paintings are paradigmatic of impressionism — they are a typical example of that style of art.

Use paradigmatic when you're talking about things that are archetypal or representative of some category and you want to sound impressive. You'll come across it if you study the subject of linguistics, where
"paradigmaticanalysis" is one way of analyzing a text, by examining patterns within it. The Greek word for "pattern," paradeigma, is the root ofparadigmatic

I still don't know what it means

Here is another definition that is closer to what I meant (maybe Harvard too) - Paradigmatic thinking means the unity of beliefs that guide the planning and implementation of actions.

Think of it as UPS is a process driven company.
UPS develops models for evaluating an idea.
They then move forward on the best ROI initiatives or one that will move the corporation forward on an existing path or a new one.
They then develop plans, procedures and processes to facilitate that effort using models from previous efforts if applicable (best practices).
Then UPS implements whatever it takes to get the job done expecting people to adapt and put forth the effort or extra effort to get the job done. This is what District Operations personnel are exposed to and make happen.