UPS Part Time Management Union in California

Should all Part-Time Management that work for UPS be unionized?

• Total voters

Miranda Lucas

I work for CACH in Illinois and I am aware that the Part Time Management people in our hub in California are Unionized. CACH has so many issues with the Union for the employees, it is almost like we (management and union employees) work in this building as enemies. I wanted to hear some feed back on the union that the management team has out in California; pros, cons, what issues have been solved by this, what are new issues now because of it's existence, etc.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I work for CACH in Illinois and I am aware that the Part Time Management people in our hub in California are Unionized. CACH has so many issues with the Union for the employees, it is almost like we (management and union employees) work in this building as enemies. I wanted to hear some feed back on the union that the management team has out in California; pros, cons, what issues have been solved by this, what are new issues now because of it's existence, etc.
Management by definition has never been organized.
The Teamsters allows for "Lead Employees" in certain areas ... maybe that is what you are referring to.

jaker

trolling
Someone lied to you, because I am in California and all management is not union

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Take away a PT supervisor's ability to perform personnel form writeups and they're essentially a foreman.

They don't have hire/fire authority or any real decision making responsibilities, so they aren't management.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Take away a PT supervisor's ability to perform personnel form writeups and they're essentially a foreman.

They don't have hire/fire authority or any real decision making responsibilities, so they aren't management.
You just described an on-road "supervisor" and a part-time hub "supervisor" in my building.

I have only seen an on-road supe fire a driver once (and it was crap), and the next day the company claimed he wasn't really discharged because the on-road didn't have the authority to make that decision.

Part-time supes here don't hire or fire either.

You may have just made the argument for this work group to be organized in my area.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You just described an on-road "supervisor" and a part-time hub "supervisor" in my building.

I have only seen an on-road supe fire a driver once (and it was crap), and the next day the company claimed he wasn't really discharged because the on-road didn't have the authority to make that decision.

Part-time supes here don't hire or fire either.

You may have just made the argument for this work group to be organized in my area.

Same here. In my experience, "FT Supervisors" (that's what they're called in the hub; they're lateral to on-road/on-car sups in feeders/package) only really have the authority to "fire" someone if it's something pretty flagrant, but a management-level person must be involved ASAP. They have the authority/access to send off warning letters/suspension letters/discharge notices through the labor console (PT supervisors don't really have access to that stuff and warning letters have been tossed because PT sups sent them instead of the FT sup) but don't "usually" have the authority to take someone off the job.

Every time we do internal organizing drives, PT sups on every sort ask if they can join (some serious, some joking).