Wage & Benefit Perspective for Part-Timers

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Class act here on Brown Cafe Not really surprising why you missed the point of my post.
Your post was about how what your son makes compares to UPS employees.

I said I don't care about how much your son makes. It's irrelevant.

I didn't miss your point.
And I still don't care how much your son makes.

Hope this clears up your confusion my very good friend.

Commercial Inside Release

Fast forward to 2023, the job you had 25 years ago isn't paying the same amount today.
I can believe that... I got sick of Microsoft's BS long before the industry was eviscerated, and got out.

Possibly you do not understand what a Resident Physician is
I know what it is... I can see how hospital conglomerates (and the insurance industry) would grind a bunch of healthcare employees to dust, if they let them. It's just that half the personal fortunes in America eventually flow into the healthcare system (everyone needs care\treatment eventually,) yet they are always crying poor -- can't make ends meet -- need more money, etc. If you can't find a way to make at least $200k in that profession these days, you gotta be doing something wrong.

They might have doctor's in Mexico that work for $25k\yr, but there has to be some resistance from the public to taking that gamble.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I said I don't care about how much your son makes. It's irrelevant.

I didn't miss your point.
And I still don't care how much your son makes.

Hope this clears up your confusion my very good friend.
An anecdote embedded in a story like this typically isn't the point trying to be made, rather just supporting evidence of sorts to the OP's thought process.

Hope this helps clear up your confusion.

....or was it an intentional attempt at being obtuse?

FYI...... and for your clarification.... 1) 4 years undergrad 2) 4 years Medical School 3) 4 years residency 4) 1 year Fellowship training 5) Currently working on 2nd Fellowship year. Board Certified in Specialty - Board Eligible in 2nd Fellowship - Working on 2nd Fellowship and will be board eligible July 1 2024. If you know anything about the pathway through medicine.....that is not Doogie Howser as you referred to.
Oh, I'm well aware of the physicians' pathway. You said he was in his second fellowship, not in his second fellowship year, very different things as fellowships typically require some term of medical practice between residency and fellowship, and between sub-specialty fellowships. A lot of times, whether said fellowship requires work experience or not, an inexperienced physician applying for a position in that program is often beat out by a practicing physician who is expanding into a sub-specialty.

Perhaps it was just a typo or an oversight on your part in the midst of your inapplicable anecdote. That happens.

Glad you feel that career PTers (~10% of the bargaining unit) are getting such a good deal, for many of the rest of us, they are mortgaging our future to offer these raises.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
An anecdote embedded in a story like this typically isn't the point trying to be made, rather just supporting evidence of sorts to the OP's thought process.
It wasn't an anecdote embedded in a story.
It is the story and the point of the thread.

And I still don't care how much his son makes.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

... or were you intentionally being obtuse?

BobJ

The only Jobs that keep up with inflation are entry-level (like fast food), and CEOs

The rest of us inbetween get bumped up periodically and not at the same schedule. That's how you end up with Plumbers and teachers making more than some doctors and lawyers, and Truck drivers (like UPS) leap frogging them all at times.