Ups pilots strike authorization

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was talking about terrorism, hidden or undeclared ORMD's (Valujet) and did we not ground jets in Dubai ...or in that area... due to alleged explosives?

I have a brother with multiple engine rating and my Dad's a pilot. I'm not ignorant to the trade.
And flying around with undeclared lithium batteries...didnt we have a few pilots die in a crash because of that?

worldwide

It's not patience. It's the rules under the RLA that makes it very difficult to get an authorization for a strike.

It's also these rules that makes the strike authorization vote a standard negotiating tactic that was used in previous contract negotiations and there have been no strikes.

Under the Railway Labor Act, airline contracts do not expire, they become amendable. Their terms remain in force while the new contract is negotiated. This is true even after a strike authorization vote, which is simply a routine show of solidarity in airline negotiations that is legally irrelevant to the actual proceedings.

Even with a strike authorization in hand, the union leadership has to ask a federal mediator to release the union from negotiation. The mediator can choose to ignore that request or initiate a 30-day cooling off period. Once that period expires, a strike could happen. Even then, the President could say no due to the damage a strike could cause to a fragile economy. You think the POTUS wants to hurt the economy right before the election and hurt HRC's chances? Never will happen.

In its 27-year history, UPS Airlines has negotiated four contracts with its pilots.

UPS waited to see what FedEx negotiated and then can offer a similar contract that is slightly better than the FedEx agreement so both sides can claim the "best in the industry" pay/benefits claim for their own purposes.

MAKAVELI

It's also these rules that makes the strike authorization vote a standard negotiating tactic that was used in previous contract negotiations and there have been no strikes.

Under the Railway Labor Act, airline contracts do not expire, they become amendable. Their terms remain in force while the new contract is negotiated. This is true even after a strike authorization vote, which is simply a routine show of solidarity in airline negotiations that is legally irrelevant to the actual proceedings.

Even with a strike authorization in hand, the union leadership has to ask a federal mediator to release the union from negotiation. The mediator can choose to ignore that request or initiate a 30-day cooling off period. Once that period expires, a strike could happen. Even then, the President could say no due to the damage a strike could cause to a fragile economy. You think the POTUS wants to hurt the economy right before the election and hurt HRC's chances? Never will happen.

In its 27-year history, UPS Airlines has negotiated four contracts with its pilots.

UPS waited to see what FedEx negotiated and then can offer a similar contract that is slightly better than the FedEx agreement so both sides can claim the "best in the industry" pay/benefits claim for their own purposes.
Do you think the POTUS wants to piss off the labor unions before an election?

lowats

Ik this doesn't regard the strike but have you heard of any UPS pilots going from being a driver to getting promoted to pilot (obviously you have to have a commercial pilots license first) just curious...
& if so would they promote someone to pilot who didn't fly like in the air force? Thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ik this doesn't regard the strike but have you heard of any UPS pilots going from being a driver to getting promoted to pilot (obviously you have to have a commercial pilots license first) just curious...
& if so would they promote someone to pilot who didn't fly like in the air force? Thanks

Extremely doubtful.

worldwide

Do you think the POTUS wants to piss off the labor unions before an election?

I don't think he cares at this point. It's a better sell and a better PR approach to support the overall economy as opposed to standing up for a relatively small group (the IPA) that make FAR more than the average American worker. Most people would have very little sympathy for the UPS pilots.

UPS captains earn a minimum $255,128 a year, and often take home about $35,000 more. By comparison, the next highest-paid captains at FedEx make $230,379 as a guarantee.

The average pay for all UPS pilots, including captains and first officers, is $238,000, and they also have a benefits packages with two company-funded retirement plans in addition to a traditional 401K and pension. Union members receive health insurance that costs them a third less than what a typical U.S. family, with far lower income, pays.

In an election year, it's all about who can get the most people, and money, on their side and there's more to lose and less to gain in supporting what would be spun and perceived as "supporting the rich 1% crowd."

MAKAVELI

I don't think he cares at this point. It's a better sell and a better PR approach to support the overall economy as opposed to standing up for a relatively small group (the IPA) that make FAR more than the average American worker. Most people would have very little sympathy for the UPS pilots.

UPS captains earn a minimum $255,128 a year, and often take home about $35,000 more. By comparison, the next highest-paid captains at FedEx make $230,379 as a guarantee.

The average pay for all UPS pilots, including captains and first officers, is $238,000, and they also have a benefits packages with two company-funded retirement plans in addition to a traditional 401K and pension. Union members receive health insurance that costs them a third less than what a typical U.S. family, with far lower income, pays.

In an election year, it's all about who can get the most people, and money, on their side and there's more to lose and less to gain in supporting what would be spun and perceived as "supporting the rich 1% crowd."
I doubt a short, and it definitely would be short, strike by the UPS pilots would cripple the economy. Now if UPS were to shut down entirely, that would be a different story. It would take something that big for Obama to invoke the Taft Harley act.

Johney

Yes. Guy from one of our centers who was a driver now flies for us. Can't remember his last name but do remember his first. From what I recall he left maybe 15 years ago?
Extremely doubtful.
But not impossible.

Johney

I doubt a short, and it definitely would be short, strike by the UPS pilots would cripple the economy. Now if UPS were to shut down entirely, that would be a different story. It would take something that big for Obama to invoke the Taft Harley act.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't UPS fly some of the mail also?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
And flying around with undeclared lithium batteries...didnt we have a few pilots die in a crash because of that?

Yes we did, but we have also had far more feeder drivers die than pilots.

Any death is a tragedy, but you are far safer being a pilot than a feeder driver.

Big Blue Driver

The average pilot makes 238k a year. That was in the WSJ article.
It's not even close to that. Some pilots make less than $30k a year. That's BS rhetoric from the company and that same BS also tells the media that they work less than half as much as passenger airline pilots. Again, not even close to true. Knowing a lot of them personally and seeing their schedule I'll tell you it's ALL BS. The company is just trying to guide the media into believing their side. As one of our fellow employee groups we know how the company negotiates in "good faith" and should support them. It's not based on ego, it's based on the skills they have and what they provide the company.