UPS-SCS

L

lazy bones

Yes Scorned.........pls elaborate. I work in an FSL in the Northeast. What's the problem?

Well,it's like this. We have been an agent for several years in Ilinois. About three years ago we were asked if we could take on another area and we said yes. A year later we were asked to take another area and again we said yes. The reason they asked us was the excellant service we gave them. Our record of on time deliveries have been 99.8% the .2% we were lacking was due to weather or construction. Sevearl months ago I get a call asking us if we would also be willing to run the warehouses and I said yes if the money was right. They were offering $20.00 per callout(the current pay is $40.00) $3.50 for tech courier pul(I'm not sure what the current for that is)and $1.25 per billable unit(that is square footage pay for storing parts). They wanted me to come down so I did. $28.00 I asked for call out and $3.00 for tech courier pull, $1.25 per billable unit. THe guy I was dealing with said that they woul'nt be saving any money with what I was asking for. Ok, now keep in mind that by me running the warehouse, they would not be paying their current employee her wages($600-$650 per week, they would not have to pay the $1,100.00 rent the $500.00 utilities, health benefits, workers comp. We figured that they would be saving about$35,000.00 a year just on one of the warehouses. What they are doing is outsourcing the warehouses now I'm not sure if this is through out the US but I believe thats what they are doing. Anyway a few months go by and I heard nothing. So I called to find out what was going on. I was told they were considering someone else. So I put in another bid. I was willing to make nothing on the warehousing in order to keep our agent status. $00.00 for call out $1.35 for tech courier pull and $1.25 per billable unit. Keep in mind that they did not contact me to tell me that someone had bid lower and give me a chance to beat their bid. Instead they hired some other company. This company has a very bad record for on time deliveries. How do I know that. Because one of my drivers has known about this company,because his sister was asked by Sonic-Air(NOW UPS-SCS) to do the deliveries that this other company was doing because they were either late on pick-ups or deliveries and would'nt go out in bad weather or work week-ends(that is one of the requirments to be an agent is to be available24/7). I get a call one day form one of my drivers that the other company had taken over, doing our deliveries we ahd no worning. I rates are low we were charging $1.35 per one way mile and 0.15 more for after hrs. You see from what I hear and I have a very reliable source of information that the IBM contract is up for bid., and IBM is not happy with UPS-SCS and they are scared they aren't going to get the bid and thats why all this is going on. I just wonder if they told the new company that the IBM was up for bid and they may or may not get it. If they do loose IBM it will have a big impact on one paticular warehouse because 95% of it is IBM. Hence, if they loose IBM so does the guy that took our place.

Well,it's like this. We have been an agent for several years in Ilinois. About three years ago we were asked if we could take on another area and we said yes. A year later we were asked to take another area and again we said yes. The reason they asked us was the excellant service we gave them. Our record of on time deliveries have been 99.8% the .2% we were lacking was due to weather or construction. Sevearl months ago I get a call asking us if we would also be willing to run the warehouses and I said yes if the money was right. They were offering $20.00 per callout(the current pay is $40.00) $3.50 for tech courier pul(I'm not sure what the current for that is)and $1.25 per billable unit(that is square footage pay for storing parts). They wanted me to come down so I did. $28.00 I asked for call out and $3.00 for tech courier pull, $1.25 per billable unit. THe guy I was dealing with said that they woul'nt be saving any money with what I was asking for. Ok, now keep in mind that by me running the warehouse, they would not be paying their current employee her wages($600-$650 per week, they would not have to pay the $1,100.00 rent the $500.00 utilities, health benefits, workers comp. We figured that they would be saving about$35,000.00 a year just on one of the warehouses. What they are doing is outsourcing the warehouses now I'm not sure if this is through out the US but I believe thats what they are doing. Anyway a few months go by and I heard nothing. So I called to find out what was going on. I was told they were considering someone else. So I put in another bid. I was willing to make nothing on the warehousing in order to keep our agent status. $00.00 for call out $1.35 for tech courier pull and $1.25 per billable unit. Keep in mind that they did not contact me to tell me that someone had bid lower and give me a chance to beat their bid. Instead they hired some other company. This company has a very bad record for on time deliveries. How do I know that. Because one of my drivers has known about this company,because his sister was asked by Sonic-Air(NOW UPS-SCS) to do the deliveries that this other company was doing because they were either late on pick-ups or deliveries and would'nt go out in bad weather or work week-ends(that is one of the requirments to be an agent is to be available24/7). I get a call one day form one of my drivers that the other company had taken over, doing our deliveries we ahd no worning. I rates are low we were charging $1.35 per one way mile and 0.15 more for after hrs. You see from what I hear and I have a very reliable source of information that the IBM contract is up for bid., and IBM is not happy with UPS-SCS and they are scared they aren't going to get the bid and thats why all this is going on. I just wonder if they told the new company that the IBM was up for bid and they may or may not get it. If they do loose IBM it will have a big impact on one paticular warehouse because 95% of it is IBM. Hence, if they loose IBM so does the guy that took our place. He will loose 95% of his billable space.

S

SCS PEON

Anyone working for SCS at an FSL in the United States can be outsourced at any time and jobs will be done at a lesser rate by less skilled people. SCS are closing monthly now at a very rapid rate. In fact the employees who work at these sites have to watch while agents come in daily to do a tour and look around and then place a bid on the business and essentially their jobs.

The whole SCS business was an illusion. It was an illusion to the employees because they thought they'd have a long term, decent job with benefits and retirements etc, etc. It's an illusion to the customers because they once had reliable, intelligent people handling their inventory and now their agents working under that UPS umbrella doing the work the SCS employees did for half the pay and half the quality.

Not much anyone from SCS can do about it either. No union representation to back you up so UPS can pretty much do whatever they wish with you. This is what they planned from day one back in the SonicAir days. The gears to this machine have started turning long ago and anyone at these SCS sites never had a chance because this was planned out long before the day you filled out an application. This is what they do, this is how they make money and if you have no union there's not a whole lot to stop the machine from moving forward.

I'm not exempt, I am talking from experience and I know what lies ahead for SCS. You can go out with dignity or you can go out kicking and screaming. Either way, UPS SCS doesn't give a **** as long as you just go to save them money, to line their pockets and inflate their stock.

Good luck to any other UPS SCS employees who are safe and secure with your jobs. Just know there's many others out there now sweating it everyday wondering if they'll have jobs in a year.

tieguy

Banned
I don't know much about the SCS side of things and I'm having a hard time seeing where we did anything wrong. Are we not supposed to try to get the lowest rates possible?

Well that depends. Do you want a lower rate and less than quality service or do you want to pay a few cents more and get the quality service that you've been geting for 9 years. We were not given the chance to lower our rate we were never asked too. They moved in a company that has in the past, had a bad track record with ups-scs

tieguy

Banned
Well that depends. Do you want a lower rate and less than quality service or do you want to pay a few cents more and get the quality service that you've been geting for 9 years. We were not given the chance to lower our rate we were never asked too. They moved in a company that has in the past, had a bad track record with ups-scs

Did you have a contract with them?