UPS Special Pension Buyout Offer - December 2016

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy
Plus another 10% penalty for early withdrawal and you will still owe your state taxes. Also, this will count as ordinary income so your income tax bracket has most likely changed. Better set some aside to pay to the IRS in April.

Maybe.
Could be that the 20% on the distribution is enough to cover the 10% penalty when taxes are filed and not owe any additional. Might even get some of the 20 refunded. Every situation is unique.

Gipsee

Check your email. I received an email letter from the program. It was in my SPAM folder.
upload_2019-12-4_10-51-30.png

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe.
Could be that the 20% on the distribution is enough to cover the 10% penalty when taxes are filed and not owe any additional. Might even get some of the 20 refunded. Every situation is unique.

The 20% is in addition to the 10% early withdrawal penalty. He will probably get most of the 20% back when he files; however, he will not get any of the 10% back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Now I see what the company is doing.

They are direct(ly) depositing only the cash out portion of the lump sum payout, less the 10% penalty and 20% taxes, and they are mailing a check for the balance. If you deposit the check in to an approved retirement account (IRA, 401k) within 60 days you will not be charged the 10% or 20%. If you decide to keep the money it will be treated as a distribution and you will be charged both the 10% and the 20%.

Shecoope

Judging by the posts back from the last buyout in December 2016 I seen where they said by the 22nd this year they are saying by the 23rd of December they might start hitting bank accounts by December 16 of this year don’t know

Shecoope

Now I see what the company is doing.

They are direct(ly) depositing only the cash out portion of the lump sum payout, less the 10% penalty and 20% taxes, and they are mailing a check for the balance. If you deposit the check in to an approved retirement account (IRA, 401k) within 60 days you will not be charged the 10% or 20%. If you decide to keep the money it will be treated as a distribution and you will be charged both the 10% and the 20%.
Do are they automatically taking out the 20% or am I going to have to wait to file and then pay later