UPS Special Pension Payment Offer

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
My 401k is still in the Prudential account though. Has grown probably two or three thousand since I left. I wonder if I should leave it there or roll that over too.

Justaloader

My 401k is still in the Prudential account though. Has grown probably two or three thousand since I left. I wonder if I should leave it there or roll that over too.

If you can roll it into an account that you are actively contributing to (and can therefore have more principle for the interest to be compounded on), why not?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you retire or does your new employer offer a 401k? If it is the latter, you should roll it over. If it is the former, you should roll it over to a Traditional IRA.

sailfish

Did you retire or does your new employer offer a 401k? If it is the latter, you should roll it over. If it is the former, you should roll it over to a Traditional IRA.
Got a long way to go before retirement. Can get a 401k from the new employer here soon but unless there's some nice company contributions I might just stick with my private Roth.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Got a long way to go before retirement. Can get a 401k from the new employer here soon but unless there's some nice company contributions I might just stick with my private Roth.

Let's see---in 2019 you can contribute up to $6,000 in to a Roth and $19,000 in to a 401k. You do the math.

Justaloader

Let's see---in 2019 you can contribute up to $6,000 in to a Roth and $19,000 in to a 401k. You do the math.

This is true - but, who knows what the taxes will be come retirement age. That's the gamble / decision one has to make when deciding Roth or Traditional - pay the taxes now in the hopes that you'll come out ahead when you retire, or defer the tax payment - in the hopes that the taxes won't be significantly higher (if at all) come retirement / dispursement time. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

sailfish

This is true - but, who knows what the taxes will be come retirement age. That's the gamble / decision one has to make when deciding Roth or Traditional - pay the taxes now in the hopes that you'll come out ahead when you retire, or defer the tax payment - in the hopes that the taxes won't be significantly higher (if at all) come retirement / dispursement time. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
My thought is I'd rather pay the taxes on my comparatively low contributions than on an account with a million dollars in interest forty years from now.

sailfish

You do realize that you would have to an account balance of around $50M or so to have earned $1M in interest.
Alright. What am I reading wrong?

upload_2019-11-15_17-41-18.png