UPS Special Pension Payment Offer

OrionsBitch

Not...
...the difference being you are funding it with after tax dollars, which completely defeats the purpose of a 401k...
It’s a hedge against income tax to use a Roth IRA or 401k...if you were 21 years old would you think the income tax would be higher or lower by the time you reach 65? Judging by the morons running for office I would be it would be higher. I’d rather pay tax up front and know what I’m going to have upon withdrawal than save my whole life “thinking” I know what Ill have only to find out income tax is now 65%...

I think a mix of both is best, also having an HSA is a really good idea as it’s triple tax advantage and most providers allow you to invest that money after a 2k balance. Meaning it’s the only true “savings” account that doesn’t get taxed in any way.

OrionsBitch

Not...
HSA's are limited to $3,450.

The general rule is taxes SHOULD be lower when you turn 65.
So...3450 a year per individual is still 3450 of tax free savings.

“Should”....a lot can change in 35 years. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I won’t have to lay awake at night wondering if some politician will dip into my retirement funds (which has happened and is happening in other countries).