UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 2012

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
just checked on those ticker symbols. OP's portfolio has not aged well. i hope he rethought his strat. several of them are defunct, most of the rest are down a lot. don't chase yield, it's a trap. besides dividends are priced in anyways. and whatever tax advantage a retirement account gives for dividends applies just as well toward capital gains, so you'll do just as well to sell off 5% as taking 5% in dividends. admit to yourself that you don't know what you're doing and buy simple low expense ratio index funds.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
just checked on those ticker symbols. OP's portfolio has not aged well. i hope he rethought his strat. several of them are defunct, most of the rest are down a lot. don't chase yield, it's a trap. besides dividends are priced in anyways. and whatever tax advantage a retirement account gives for dividends applies just as well toward capital gains, so you'll do just as well to sell off 5% as taking 5% in dividends. admit to yourself that you don't know what you're doing and buy simple low expense ratio index funds.
I'm not a big dividend guy, but I can see the appeal of just having money deposited in your account on the regular without having to sell anything. High dividends can be a red flag though, if I was gonna pursue that strategy I would stick to large established companies or just find an ETF that focuses on dividend yields and let them do all the stock picking.

I'm not a big dividend guy, but I can see the appeal of just having money deposited in your account on the regular without having to sell anything. High dividends can be a red flag though, if I was gonna pursue that strategy I would stick to large established companies or just find an ETF that focuses on dividend yields and let them do all the stock picking.
Verizon is a good example of that
With its 5% dividend stock price has been losing at least 5% or more every year

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I like the dividends and just reinvest. phone stocks pay for my phone, gas stocks pay for all my gas etc.

Vanguard Funds are very low cost. Maybe not the best in returns but less risky for folks in their 60's.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
hello fellow UPSers who invest...in 2009 got out of the Prudential 401k options and moved all but the mandatory 3% into the Dreyfus self managed account to pick and buy stocks...just takes a 10 minute phone call to Prudential to transfer funds

i have a passion for investing in dividend stocks
24 years with UPS
$142,000 in my account
making 12K in dividends per year
you buy when stocks are going down (on sale) not when they are going up

feel free to add your own stocks or ask any questions

stocks i own

all stocks were bought on 11-19-2012

T...AT&T...telecommunications...yield 5.1%
ECT...natural gas trust...yield 15.1%
OHI...healthcare...yield 7%
NYCB...bank...yield 7.1%