UPS, Teamsters considering joint pension plan

Fullhouse

Really? You might want to change your name to half a deck instead of full house! In the chicago area dhl belongs to the teamsters, and from my understanding were not the only city. Now if their not teamsters in your neck of the woods i apoligize now. Organizing fedex is an up hill fight and im surs your aware of the railway act that freds under. They have made strides in some parts of the country, but in order to organize fedex you have to break it down state by state which is time consuming. I will agree with you we should have organized fed ex by now, and leveled the playing field. But how many customers are we losing due to fedex, i see more customers leaving ups over the business development reps and being fed up with routes getting busted out, changing their schedules to fit our ie depts numbers. Most of the business i see leaving tends to go to dhl not fedex.
Well, if you didn't know I'm in a right to work state. So, no DHL in our local union. I'm up to 3/4 deck now. I'm aware of the rail road act. 4/5 now and lets see Jesse Helms from NC is the one we need to thank for placing Fed Ex in that category.OH boy! Now I'm back to a full deck!:thumbup1:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Well, if you didn't know I'm in a right to work state. So, no DHL in our local union. I'm up to 3/4 deck now. I'm aware of the rail road act. 4/5 now and lets see Jesse Helms from NC is the one we need to thank for placing Fed Ex in that category.OH boy! Now I'm back to a full deck!:thumbup1:
Lets take baby steps half fullhouse. Dhl is not in any teamster local in your area?

local804

Have to organize DHL First! Hell, we can't even organize Fed Ex and they just received cuts on their retirement this year. Maybe the IBT can go pick the peaches, because it sure looks ripe in the orchard.

There are over 12,000 DHL teamster members.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
DHL/Airborne is not organized down in the South. The drivers work for contractors, long hours and low pay.

Cole

Because the Locals are weak, and and don't go after these company's. Heck I had several nurses that wanted to organize a few yrs back and my local wouldn't even talk to them and I know it was totally political because they were afraid we would have numbers to vote them out.

local804

Because the Locals are weak, and and don't go after these company's. Heck I had several nurses that wanted to organize a few yrs back and my local wouldn't even talk to them and I know it was totally political because they were afraid we would have numbers to vote them out.

I guess it depends on who you talk to. Our local acts on all prospecting members and actually pays the member for his lead.

705red

Browncafe Steward
We should implement a decline in membership clause into the bylaws. If the membership declines or you fail to organize you should be banned for running for an elected office. While were at it we should get rid of multiple salaries, no teamster official should receive more than 2 salaries.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There are DHL teamsters in Florida, what part of the south are you talking about?

I'm talking about Atlanta, and our Local has increased membership, they are concentrating now on Waste Management companies. I think Fullhouse is in South Carolina. The Teamsters need to concentrate on Fedex Express, they have dragged their heels too long on that. A couple of Fedex Ground buildings ain't gonna do it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
But how many customers are we losing due to fedex, i see more customers leaving ups over the business development reps and being fed up with routes getting busted out, changing their schedules to fit our ie depts numbers. Most of the business i see leaving tends to go to dhl not fedex.

While I cant speak to much of the rest, although here in OHIO , my rival for my largest business, is the owners brother and he drives for DHL. They did unionize last month. I still get most of it, BUT.....when a business calls to complain how they used to get their delivery at 10am and are now on another truck and getting it at 1pm or later. What they get is crap from the phone center. It goes like this ...
Phone center says: "when we have changes in volume we have to cut routes"
Customer hears: so my business doesnt matter?
Phone cneter says "You will have to learn to adjust til our volume goes back up"
Customer hears "I have to adjust!!!!!:crying: , I thought you were a service company servicing me"
Driver says "if the IE dept would let go of some of the bogus numbers, we could do our job and use our knowledge to get the stuff to people who absolutely have to have it"

And now they worry about making pick ups in a 30 minute window? Heck if they dont quit with the crap of cutting runs and working everyone to the limit there wont be any pick ups to worry about.

I do understand change. Im not bullying against it but you cannot take a customer and tell them "hey we want your business, but you will have to take what we give ya, coz the yellow, green and purple will come in and gobble it up. We are in business to service them, they dont want to hear about our business and why we want to deliver them 3 hrs or more later, and what the heck, while Im here, get your pick up ready, I cant get back here in an hour. I run my self ragged trying to keep the business I have, coz the wolves are at the door and they are hungry.

705red

Browncafe Steward
While I cant speak to much of the rest, although here in OHIO , my rival for my largest business, is the owners brother and he drives for DHL. They did unionize last month. I still get most of it, BUT.....when a business calls to complain how they used to get their delivery at 10am and are now on another truck and getting it at 1pm or later. What they get is crap from the phone center. It goes like this ...
Phone center says: "when we have changes in volume we have to cut routes"
Customer hears: so my business doesnt matter?
Phone cneter says "You will have to learn to adjust til our volume goes back up"
Customer hears "I have to adjust!!!!!:crying: , I thought you were a service company servicing me"
Driver says "if the IE dept would let go of some of the bogus numbers, we could do our job and use our knowledge to get the stuff to people who absolutely have to have it"

And now they worry about making pick ups in a 30 minute window? Heck if they dont quit with the crap of cutting runs and working everyone to the limit there wont be any pick ups to worry about.

I do understand change. Im not bullying against it but you cannot take a customer and tell them "hey we want your business, but you will have to take what we give ya, coz the yellow, green and purple will come in and gobble it up. We are in business to service them, they dont want to hear about our business and why we want to deliver them 3 hrs or more later, and what the heck, while Im here, get your pick up ready, I cant get back here in an hour. I run my self ragged trying to keep the business I have, coz the wolves are at the door and they are hungry.
Everytime i lose an account, i go to the customer and ask why, did i do something. Their response is oh no we stayed with ups because of you but we cant take this anymore, and its always a complaint that i cant resolve like billing, bad customer service reps, and changing of their pick up times, Seems like management cant resolve it either. But they sure want us to turn in those sales leads for new business, heres an idea lets keep the customers we have for a while and then attempt to get more business. And you hit it on the head tooner.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Thats called customer retention and anyone that knows anything about a business will agree.
Can you get them an application, looking for a customer oriented self motivated person to manage a $40 billion a year business, ps eskew doesnt know its for him yet.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thats called customer retention and anyone that knows anything about a business will agree.

Well since we are so hi tech and we are constantly "in training" why arent our sales reps? He** I dont even know their names anymore. The one I did know is now my on car, and by the way, he really needs to go back as he cant preach a mouthful of bull in record time. My favorite was after he rode with me 3 days, and couldnt find out what I was "doing wrong", "well I dont know how, but we have to get you to 15 sporh" So brow beating me day after day is what he thinks will work. Im at 13.8 to 14.2, and nothings changed and they b*tch every day. 1.0 to 1.7 over every day. But we have to get the sporh up......but no suggestion as to how. Typical.

Oh I know, come in 1/2 hr early, groom my load, record my first stop, all off clock, then punch out on the way in...Yeah that will happen.

local804

Your AE is now your on car supervisor?
I have heard a few LP guys going into oncar but never seen a AE do it. Pretty soon we will have the snack machine vendors controlling the PAS system. Is it possible? anything is possible at UPS.
What can brown do for you?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Your AE is now your on car supervisor?
I have heard a few LP guys going into oncar but never seen a AE do it. Pretty soon we will have the snack machine vendors controlling the PAS system. Is it possible? anything is possible at UPS.
What can brown do for you?
I think the vendors would manage pas better than its being done now. It cant get worse can it?

local804

I have a customer who ships electronic parts all over the country. He imports also and his six digit number is billed both ways. For some strange reason, everytime PAS scans his labels, they address correct the package to his old business address. So now instead of having the parts on Monday, the driver from his old area has them re address corrected to his new address on Wednesday. To add insult to injury, UPS charges his a ten dollar address correction charge for thier messup. A couple more weeks of this crap and I guarantee you he will be joining the will not use UPS no more club.

705red, evertime I think it cant get worse, it does.

Cole

Same things we have been seeing from pas since it's inception!

Once again the company sinks (literally) millions into a system that doesn't come close to expectations, and hurts the customers more than helps them, so they either have to file a charge with the Better Business Bureu, becasue of being charged for OUR error, or leave all together.

Sometimes I have to think they intentionally run customers off, to whine about having a union contract!

Good job Mike!