UPS Teleconfrence Sunday

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Biggest thing (only thing I didn’t know already) I got from the call is that the reason they are paying 22.4 drivers less money than RPCDs is that they are dealing with the competition using underpaid delivery drivers on the weekends, so they have to pay them less to stay competitive. Also, because they will “likely” be working some part-time shifts, they will be doing some easier work.
And then the “over paid union worker” we be laid off on Monday. Wake up.

themanat30k

Wow was this call pointless, pretty much seemed staged / faked regarding the content that I heard. Not one question was specific about this contract agreement language. A 30 Minute call in total from 2:14 PM to 2:44 PM (PST), with the last 20 minutes answering :censored2: questions.

From what I remember was asked :
  • How long does it take for a part-timer to get benefits?
  • How much will I make as a driver come Aug 1?
  • Why do we need these 22.4 jobs?
  • Why are new hires being paid the same amount I will make?

542thruNthru

Biggest thing (only thing I didn’t know already) I got from the call is that the reason they are paying 22.4 drivers less money than RPCDs is that they are dealing with the competition using underpaid delivery drivers on the weekends, so they have to pay them less to stay competitive. Also, because they will “likely” be working some part-time shifts, they will be doing some easier work.

How likely do you think it is that the company will not use this people as drivers almost every day and for as many hours as possible?

Just curious not trying to attack you. In my area they will drive everyday all day. I'm sure it's the same in a lot of areas.

I heard it and I was not in favor of them doing a call like that but I thought it went well. When they take the strike to the general public they will have plenty of ammo.
Hey Mason o worked her for a couple of years and I'm going to be making the same as a newbie.. well this is the best solution we could come up with

GTFO

Dollar Chasing

How likely do you think it is that the company will not use this people as drivers almost every day and for as many hours as possible?

Just curious not trying to attack you. In my area they will drive everyday all day. I'm sure it's the same in a lot of areas.
I no I get you. They used the word “likely” on the call regarding the 22.4s working part-time shifts. That’s the biggest concern for most people about the 22.4 class is that without 9.5 protection, they’ll be loading them up and making them spend 90% of their time driving ground for less money than they pay us. I personally don’t believe the hype. We only have 1 22.3 driver in our building of 50 RPCDs, and we don’t do Saturday ground. We’re also one of the biggest centers in our division. All I’m saying is that I believe that 22.4 drivers are going to end up comprising about 5-10% of the driver group company wide, and not going to make a noticeable difference for most drivers like all of the doom and gloom people are saying.

I no I get you. They used the word “likely” on the call regarding the 22.4s working part-time shifts. That’s the biggest concern for most people about the 22.4 class is that without 9.5 protection, they’ll be loading them up and making them spend 90% of their time driving ground for less money than they pay us. I personally don’t believe the hype. We only have 1 22.3 driver in our building of 50 RPCDs, and we don’t do Saturday ground. We’re also one of the biggest centers in our division. All I’m saying is that I believe that 22.4 drivers are going to end up comprising about 5-10% of the driver group company wide, and not going to make a noticeable difference for most drivers like all of the doom and gloom people are saying.
Maybe not at first .Ups gets the big picture and looks a decade down the line.

542thruNthru

I respectfully disagree. The doom and gloom may not be relevant in your District but I assure you it is in mine. In my building we have almost 300 drivers. In the building 30 min away they have just about 200. 22.4 will be used here constantly and will have a huge effect on drivers here.

Dollar Chasing

I respectfully disagree. The doom and gloom may not be relevant in your District but I assure you it is in mine. In my building we have almost 300 drivers. In the building 30 min away they have just about 200. 22.4 will be used here constantly and will have a huge effect on drivers here.
I mean, I guess that’s why there are a lot of disagreements. Different areas of the country will get impacted differently by the contract. :censored2:, I know my wages here are awesome, yet in some places they’re either even more awesome or worth a lot less. I guess I can understand why you would be more worried, I just don’t think it will be that bad. Considering one of us will be right, (and if you are, that’s a bad thing for us,) then I can see why you are concerned.