ups up $1.53

wkmac

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/07/27/so-which-stocks-should-i-buy-now.aspx

Motley Fool promoting UPS as a buy.

I also noticed FedEx is also up of nearly equal % so I wouldn't read to much into UPS having gone back up a little. Although the Motley Fool piece suggests UPS is undervalued at current earnings valuations so you may have something to celebrate. The upside to $92 IMO is a little far fetched but good to see we got off the low $80's a share price. Now if we could actually get there in real share price!
:lol:

Raw

Raw Member
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/07/27/so-which-stocks-should-i-buy-now.aspx

Motley Fool promoting UPS as a buy.

I also noticed FedEx is also up of nearly equal % so I wouldn't read to much into UPS having gone back up a little. Although the Motley Fool piece suggests UPS is undervalued at current earnings valuations so you may have something to celebrate. The upside to $92 IMO is a little far fetched but good to see we got off the low $80's a share price. Now if we could actually get there in real share price!
:lol:
When the analyst set a stock as a buy it is because they want it to go up a bit so when the BIG funds sell soon sell the stock they will give tha analyst a " bonus " . The market is a ponsi scheme but you can make great money if you understand that and follow the big guys ( pension funds, etc )
The Working Group on Financial Markets, also know as the Plunge Protection Team, was created by Ronald Reagan to prevent a repeat of the Wall Street meltdown of October 1987. Its members include the secretary of the Treasury, the chairman of the Federal Reserve, the chairman of the SEC and the chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
Recently, the team has been on high alert given the increased volatility of the markets and what Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson calls “the systemic risk posed by hedge funds and derivatives.”
This suggests that the PPT may have been deeply involved in last Wednesday’s “miraculous” stock market rebound from Tuesday’s losses. ( in March 2007 ). There was no apparent reason for the market to suddenly “go positive” following a ruinous day that shook investor confidence around the world. The editors of the New York Times summarized the feelings of many market-watchers who were baffled by this odd recovery: “The torrent of bad news on housing is only worsening, with a report yesterday that new home sales for January had their steepest slide in 13 years . . . Manufacturing has already slipped into a recession, with activity contracting in two of the last three months. How is it then that investors took Mr. Bernanke’s words as a ‘buy’ signal?”

How indeed, unless other forces were operating secretly behind the scenes?<SThe Working Group on Financial Markets, also know as the Plunge Protection Team, was created by Ronald Reagan to prevent a repeat of the Wall Street meltdown of October 1987. Its members include the secretary of the Treasury, the chairman of the Federal Reserve, the chairman of the SEC and the chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
Recently, the team has been on high alert given the increased volatility of the markets and what Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson calls “the systemic risk posed by hedge funds and derivatives.”
Last Tuesday’s 416-point drop in the stock market has sent tremors through global systems. An 8 percent freefall on the Chinese stock exchange triggered a massive equities sell-off which continued sporadically throughout the week. The sudden shift in sentiment, from bull to bear, has drawn more attention to deeply rooted “systemic” problems in the US economy. US manufacturing is already in recession, the dollar continues to weaken, consumer spending is flat, and the sub-prime market in real estate has begun to nosedive. These have all contributed to the markets’ erratic behavior and created the likelihood that the Plunge Protection Team may be stealthily intervening behind the scenes.
According to John Crudele of the New York Post, the Plunge Protection Team’s (PPT) modus operandi was revealed by a former member of the Federal Reserve Board, Robert Heller. Heller said that disasters could be mitigated by “buying market averages in the futures market, thus stabilizing the market as a whole.” This appears to be the strategy that has been used.
Former-Clinton advisor, George Stephanopoulos, verified the existence of The Plunge Protection Team (as well as its methods) in an appearance on Good Morning America on Sept 17, 2000. Stephanopoulos said, “Well, what I wanted to talk about for a few minutes is the various efforts that are going on in public and behind the scenes by the Fed and other government officials to guard against a free-fall in the markets. . . . perhaps the most important the Fed in 1989 created what is called the Plunge Protection Team, which is the Federal Reserve, big major banks, representatives of the New York Stock Exchange and the other exchanges and they have been meeting informally so far, and they have a kind of an informal agreement among major banks to come in and start to buy stock if there appears to be a problem. They have in the past acted more formally . . . I don’t know if you remember but in 1998, there was a crisis called the Long term Capital Crisis. It was a major currency trader and there was a global currency crisis. And they, with the guidance of the Fed, all of the banks got together when it started to collapse and propped up the currency markets. And, they have plans in place to consider that if the markets start to fall.”

Stephanopoulos’ comments have never been officially denied. In fact, as Ambrose Evans-Pritchard of the U.K. Telegraph notes, Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson has called for the PPT to meet with greater frequency and set up “a command centre at the US Treasury that will track global markets and serve as an operations base in the next crisis. The top brass will meet every six weeks, combining the heads of Treasury, Federal Reserve, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and key exchanges.”

wkmac

Raw,
I get what you are saying and in some ways agree but you also can't discount just natural occurances causing market excitement or panic here and there. When oil made it's forray into the lead seat especially after Katrina, the commodities markets were on pins and needles to the point that if a unknown camel driver made some utterances, the price of oil would react as if it were God in the form of a burning bush speaking to Moses.

Even in the stock market we saw firsthand a situation where a publication writer who had studies companies that fit a certain profile of a great buyout offer suggested that FedEx matched that profile and in 1 single day on nothing more than this opinion piece, FDX went up over $5 a share. I can see no hand of gov't here but rather just a case of pure market hype.

In the last several days we've seen the market at large plunge and of course the media at lare hype this IMO way beyond what it really is. Go to say yahoo for example and pull up the Dow graph for the last 2 years and and the one thing I notice since about mid 2005' the Dow will move upwards and then after about 4 months take a slight drop and then continues upwards. It almost looks like steps if you will but IMO it's just periods of where the valuations get ahed of themselves, again probably from hype, and we see some modest correction before the trends continue up. Gov't intervention? I can't completely rule it out because it's a known fact of anyone who studies gov't to any degree that we live in a very planned society (contary to the mass claim of open freedom we are lead to believe, and yes we still have a lot so don't get your thongs in a bunch) but at this point in time this small steps fit the more likely trend of correcting to true valuations IMO.

As for the PPT, the name itself may not be the true gov't given as the source from what I can find came from a Washington Post article in 1997' http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/business/longterm/blackm/plunge.htm
This appears to be the first time the word's Plunge Protection Team were used but that's just speculation on my part.

As for it's standing in law? No argument there as you said referencing the Executive Order and it's proper standing in law having been published in the Federal Register (without objection).
http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/codification/executive-order/12631.html

Many people consider such talk of the PPT and other things like it pertaining to a gov't planning and controlling so many aspects of society as being nothing more than X-Files type conspiratorial nonsense and some of the talk goes so far to the outside of reason, those claims are valid. However, in this case there is much standing to the claims but the question remains just when and how do they get involved. What are the economic triggers?

Societal planners IMO have taken on the mentality of military generals whov'e been given the authority to safeguard the nation. You have those who believe in truly open markets and in letting those markets and economics take care of themselves but with it comes the jusified fear of a small group of men or even one manipulating markets to their own ends. On the otherside, you have a group called gov't under the guise of elective office and the belief that they as good stewards will protect us from the barbarians at the gate. You remember in the first example that small group of men or the one man we fear? Well in this scenario they are still with us but this time they've been given by law the keys to the kingdom under the guise of the elective process and majority rule. Some you see directly in elective office but the more likely place is behind the scenes where they let their henchmen called lobbyists do their bidding while they sit in their counting house and multiple their filthy lucre. In one setting, they have to bully you into thinking that are the law and in the other setting we already believe they are law so which for them is easier?

Couple of more articles on the PPT worth consideration.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/1026200...e_plunge_protectors_business_john_crudele.htm

http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/reality/2005/0403.html

The PPT discussion is becoming more and more mainstrean so nice job in bringing this subject up although I'm not convinced or I should say I can't see their hand in all cases but am open to the potential.