ups up $.70 FDX up $5.33 on buyout rumors

Dand_E_Don

Yes and no. UPS may have been trying to prop up the share price by doing so, or so a poster a few months ago thought when this topic was debated. Companies buy back shares all the time but for different purposes. UPS has defied logic and/or explanation from where I sit a number of times. I couldn't begin to guess if this is the start of going private again or not. You're talking to an Arts and Humanities student lol. -Rocky

I would venture to guess that, once we went public, there's been a steady flow of stockholders who were cashing in some of their stock. In order to maintain majority ownership by UPSers, it's been necessary to purchase back as many of the unloaded shares as possible so we don't dilute voting on issues before the board that affect UPSers as much, or more, than Class B stockholders. Without UPSers as majority stakeholders in the company, I even wonder what might happen to our relationship with the Teamsters...

UPS Lifer

Given the business Exxon is in (and the fact most regular people place them pretty high on their hitlists lol) they're not doing anything revolutionary, just rolling in money due to their ridiculous prices. I'm not sure we'd survive being the Exxon of the transportation sector, do you realize how much we'd have to raise our rates? :w00t: jk

Westside...how about if I change it to the "Google" or the "Apple" of the transportation index or the "Fedex". I know it is dreaming but I would like to see our profits and our stock take off. We all deserve to see our blood, sweat and tears pay off....wouldn't you agree?