UPS yanks funding to Boy Scouts of America

Indecisi0n

Wrong, this has nothing to do with it. Any type of program that is geared towards youth attracts certain adults who will molest them. Sports teams, church groups, school groups, you name it. The Boy Scouts were the first organization to recognize this and took steps to try to prevent it. The idea of "two-deep leadership" was developed where a child was supposed to never be alone with an adult. "A Time To Tell" was a short film produced to warn all kids to be wary of strange adults. The child abuse files that were released a few weeks ago actually showed how successful the BSA was. With millions of kids going through the program, the abuses were few and far between. Adults were prosecuted when caught, but sometimes the victims and their parents refused to press charges and put their kids through the ordeal of going to court. The BSA was aware of certain predators and the various councils that made up the national organization informed each other of these people. That being said, Scouting guidelines sometimes weren't followed and a child predator would figure out the system and use their authority to abuse it. The Catholic Church with the Preist-Alterboy scandals caused major damage to that church and don't even get me started about the rate of kids being abused on sport teams with no oversight at all.

The Gay Pride movement has had it in for the Boy Scouts ever since a certain Supreme Court case. A former Eagle Scout and adult leader by the name of James Dale decided to wear his uniform in a Gay Pride parade and his local Council decided to kick him out after parents in his Troop complained. The case went all the way to the Supreme Court and the Boy Scouts won a close decision. They are a private organization and have the right to decide who their leaders can be. In no way am I saying that a Gay man will molest a boy. The part of the "Scout Oath" that covers being "Morally Straight" as an adult leader should also be interrupted in my mind to include leaders who drank, smoked, used drugs, cursed, had extra-marital affairs, etc. As leaders, a child's sexual orientation was never an issue. Sexual behavior at these ages was discouraged if anything, there was never any training, classes, Merit Badges, that promoted any certain lifestyle.

I worked with a couple of Gay men who had their sons in my Troop. They realized that the leadership skills, first aid, cooking, camping, speaking, service projects helping their community, planning, and so many more skills were much more important than tossing a leather ball around a field. I know I learned a lot from all the training I took and the classes and programs I later led and taught others. It is not a perfect organization, but I have never met a better group of volunteers from all walks of life that I had a pleasure to work with.

Did you even read the article? The conduct of how the BSA handled these cases was disgusting. They make the catholic church look like saints (pun intended). The fact of the matter is in todays society you are not allowed to be anti-gay. And if you are you will get a lot of flank for it. Should it be this way? Yes. It wasn't too long ago that it was OK to be anti-black. Just because everyone was doing it back then didn't make it right. It took MANY years to overcome (not fully) that movement but we did it just as we will with gays. So if the BSA wan't to keep their anti-gay policy then so be it but don't expect a company who supports gay rights to give your money. If anything UPS was looking like a bunch of hypocrites by giving them money.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Did you even read the article?

Yes I read the article, did you comprehend it yourself or what I wrote in response to it? I am very aware of the scouting program since I had to take the initial child safety training and later helped teach it. I also took training by going to National Camp School to run Summer Camp programs as a Project COPE Program Director and I also went to Wood Badge, which is the top adult leader training.The author cherry picked certain cases that happened decades ago. The National Organization has always been against child abuse and pioneered ways to stop it. The background checks done now are much better these days than just some adult signing a leader registration form back then. There was not an intentional major coverup of the abuses that sometimes happened. Most scouting groups are chartered by churches, and lots of times that fact had a lot to do with keeping incidents private. I'm not saying that it is right, but there are often many factors that affected the outcome in a lot of the cases. Again, when you take into account the millions of boys(and girls) that have been through the scouting program, the record is much better than that article asserts. If you think your child is safer with an adult running a sports team or school program with zero oversight, good luck with that.

Last edited:
A

anonymous6

is the co. trying to send a message of hate by doing this? sounds like it to me.

as a scout and scouter for almost 50 years , this disgusts me. I have never known a leader to keep a gay child or leader from being involved in scouting. of course we knew but it never crossed anyones minds to exclude them .

our family has always contributed to the BSA. Now we will just DOUBLE it !

kmac126

If you have to have an anti-gay policy, or fund money to support anti-gay groups, there is a serious problem. I think what UPS is doing is great. and the fact that they have a policy like that is sickening.

Ghost in the Darkness

Good for the Boy Scouts, stand up for what you believe. What happened to freedom in this country? The core of this issue is the Boy Scouts saying our values are drastically different from those who live that lifestyle.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
is the co. trying to send a message of hate by doing this? sounds like it to me.

as a scout and scouter for almost 50 years , this disgusts me. I have never known a leader to keep a gay child or leader from being involved in scouting. of course we knew but it never crossed anyones minds to exclude them .

our family has always contributed to the BSA. Now we will just DOUBLE it !
I'm confused, you say you support gays in scouting, but you are doubling your contribution to the BSA, which has a clear anti-gay policy