upser working for the post office

hotsplash

i met a guy in south jersey says he works for ups as a preloader and is also working for the post office. i thought being that he is in the teamsters union he couldnt work for the post office?

abc123

I was told by a sup that we could not work for the post office, Fedex, or The UPS Store because it is a conflict of interest. Not sure if the teamsters have a policy on it but UPS definitely does.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was told by a sup that we could not work for the post office, Fedex, or The UPS Store because it is a conflict of interest. Not sure if the teamsters have a policy on it but UPS definitely does.

That should have been your first clue it was bs

abc123

His "interest" is feeding his family. No conflict IMO.

It's a conflict of interest because it assumes that as an employee to a company, you want it to do well, so that they can pay you. If you're working for a competitor, you're helping them out and hurting your company. Also, you may know trade secrets that you could share with the competition. We only have like 2 competitors, why not just get a job somewhere else?

over9five

Staff member
It's just a job for most of us. We work because we want our family to do well.

I would agree with you if it was a management employee. Most of us peons don't know any trade secrets that everyone else doesn't already know.

abc123

It's just a job for most of us. We work because we want our family to do well.

I would agree with you if it was a management employee. Most of us peons don't know any trade secrets that everyone else doesn't already know.

It's just a job for me, as well, it's just that I'm a business student and by definition it is a conflict of interest. Most employees don't know "secrets" but a lot of businesses don't even want to risk it. I know someone who got fired from a gas station because he worked at another gas station.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's just a job for me, as well, it's just that I'm a business student and by definition it is a conflict of interest. Most employees don't know "secrets" but a lot of businesses don't even want to risk it. I know someone who got fired from a gas station because he worked at another gas station.

I have a four year degree in business and while you are technically correct that it would/could be a conflict of interest, I can assure that you any hourly who chooses to work for a competitor will not be in a position to either possess or share "trade secrets" nor would be asked to do so, especially those working in the hub. You may not realize that there are many former UPS supervisors currently working for FedEx so if there are any "trade secrets" to be shared they would have already been traded.

abc123

I have a four year degree in business and while you are technically correct that it would/could be a conflict of interest, I can assure that you any hourly who chooses to work for a competitor will not be in a position to either possess or share "trade secrets" nor would be asked to do so, especially those working in the hub. You may not realize that there are many former UPS supervisors currently working for FedEx so if there are any "trade secrets" to be shared they would have already been traded.

Oh, I know, I'm just a sorter. You know how they drill "business ethics" into your head in class, though ;)

over9five

Staff member
You will soon learn that the ethics you learn in the classroom have little relevance in the workplace or boardroom.

...or real life.

Real life is providing for your family. There is 9.6% unemployment, and this poor guy is lucky to have his 2 pt jobs. Might be nice to think he can just get another job somewhere else, but that's not todays reality. I say nice job taking care of your family, brother!