Use of Ipod

DallasPADriver

I was wondering what you guys think about using an ipod with one earpiece in while driving. Do you think that this will be frowned upon? Thanks

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Major in cab distraction. You need both ears. That's like asking if it's ok to drive with an eyepatch.

p228

It's illegal in PA.

§ 3314. Prohibiting use of hearing impairment devices. (a) General rule.--No driver shall operate a vehicle while wearing or using one or more headphones or earphones. (b) Exception.--This section does not prohibit the use of hearing aids or other devices for improving the hearing of the driver, nor does it prohibit the use of a headset in conjunction with a cellular telephone that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear, nor does it prohibit the use of communication equipment by the driver of an emergency vehicle or by motorcycle operators complying with section 3525 (relating to protective equipment for motorcycle riders).

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehicle_code/chapter33.pdf

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I was wondering what you guys think about using an ipod with one earpiece in while driving. Do you think that this will be frowned upon? Thanks

Your kidding.. right? Please pay just a little more attention at your PCM's, safety zones, etc. It will save your life one day.

brownelf

mine works great plugged into my Dewalt radio, have it attached on a piece of velcro on the dash and run a 6ft wire down to near the heater box where my Dewalt goes. In the P700 that I usually drive the Dewalt fits securely on the guard thats near the heater box, keeping my dashboard free of anything to block my vision. The IPOD attached to the dash makes it easy to control the volume when I need too also.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Its against the law to drive in my state with headphones, besides it being against company policy.

company policy aside....work a day without the ipod and take note of how often you rely on sound for oncoming traffic,pedestrians etc and you will realize its truly a safety concern.i know,i thought the headphones were a great idea til I realized even when crossing the street you usually hear the cars coming before you see them. Like said above,get a Dewalt with MP3 jack ...its safer.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Welcome to the B.C Dallas !! A place where you can be loved & bashed all in the same day !! No on the Ipod,but not a dumb question. We alllll were new at one time.. enjoy the Cafe!!!!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
There are quite a few drivers in my center that wear them daily, and on occasion I do as well. I was told once by a supe to "wait til you're off the property to put those in". What's more is our "safety committee" driver wears them. There is a deaf driver in our hub....so what is the difference? If you have an old junky truck that's loud as hell, you're not hearing much outside of your cab anyway. My wife had bought me "MP3 sunglasses" which worked beautifully ....til I busted them, none would even notice that my sunglasses had earbuds.

rod

Retired 22 years
There are quite a few drivers in my center that wear them daily, and on occasion I do as well. I was told once by a supe to "wait til you're off the property to put those in". What's more is our "safety committee" driver wears them. There is a deaf driver in our hub....so what is the difference? If you have an old junky truck that's loud as hell, you're not hearing much outside of your cab anyway. My wife had bought me "MP3 sunglasses" which worked beautifully ....til I busted them, none would even notice that my sunglasses had earbuds.

I was going to mention about UPS having deaf drivers. I wouldn't advise wearing an ear bud but I did drive a couple of rattle traps (especially the old P500s with metal doors ) that were so loud I wore ear plugs. An Ipod is no more distracting than some dip sh-- supervisor riding with you all day asking stupid questions-----probably even less distracting.

dragracer66

Oh man!!! Please don't tell me your wiring the radio into the heater!!! With these newer trucks you should'nt be doing that. In my building that's a automatic suspension!!! More road calls are caused by radio's wired into things they should'nt be!!!!!