Use of portable GPS for Saturday Air

landrick

Even the most experienced drivers will probably need a map for saturdays but not always. It gets easy enough to where you can just use the feature in the DIAD that shows what streets are located near the one you are looking for. I do that all of the time when I run a route that I'm not real familiar with.

This makes me think of something...it's a distant memory, but didn't I read in some of the propaganda regarding the release of DIAD IV that it had graphical maps built into it? I seem to remember some line about how, combined with its built-in GPS, the IV would have the capability to show the driver the next stop on a map. (I remember thinking, "cool.") Is this is a feature yet to be unlocked? (Or was I just imagining things...)

rod

Retired 22 years
Guess I'm wandering a little from the original topic here, but since it's come up...

A couple of the major providers of map data are Navteq and Tele Atlas. Both of them have web pages for reporting map inaccuracies. Don't know if these are the ones you tried, but...if you're bored someday, it might be a fun exercise. :happy2:

The navteq page is http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/ and the Tele Atlas page is http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php. My personal experience is with Navteq, which supplies the map data for my Magellan GPS unit. I noticed a couple of errors in routing around my home (the most egregious being that it always wants me to turn onto this street that is actually an overhead bridge that doesn't even intersect with my road) and I reported them on the Navteq page. I figured that the reports would fall into a corporate black hole, never to be seen again...but, lo and behold, about 4 months later, I got two email messages saying something like "the errors you reported have been corrected and will be implemented in the next release of our map data." So...it CAN work, I guess, although this was for Los Angeles, and urban reports might take higher priority than rural ones. I don't know much about how the online map services (Google, Yahoo, etc) work, although I noticed a Google Maps page that said "map data by Tele Atlas." Anyway, might be worth a try. :wink2:

Thanks for the info. I've tried Tele Atlas but so far no luck with them. I will give Navtec a try. :peaceful: I sent in the info that Navtec wanted. It was easy site to work with. Now comes the waiting part. Thanks again

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I found an interesting fact a few months ago. Map businesses will actually include a fake street name or put in a street that doesn't exist on their maps. They do this on purpose so they can easily catch another company copying their maps and charging people for their copyrighted property.

This is totally true and if you take 2 different maps from the same year, you can usually find the copyright "key".

PS - This goes for printed maps, not online as far as I know.