USPS deal

bacha29

Also dumping the entire Express business and taking a chance on the company with a bunch of shaky Ground contractors.
In light of the Houthi attacks diverting maritime shipping out of the Red Sea there is talk that Fat Freddy's old cargo planes might pick up a little more international air freight for a little while until things settle down .
But you are right. When Ground was RPS it was a much more stable platform then it is now because it operated within the market parameters it was designed for. That's not the case now. At least from the standpoint of achieving a stable service consistent nationwide ground transportation network especially given the way contractors are scraping the bottom of both barrels...free cash and cheap readily available high production labor.

Artee

Sounds like express has one customer that can keep the company afloat. That’s not good.
Its been that way for the 20+ years we have had the postal contract. The vast majority of our morning plane that comes in is filled with mail freight. The talk 15 years ago was if the post office ever went away, we would be screwed.

FedupExpress

Its been that way for the 20+ years we have had the postal contract. The vast majority of our morning plane that comes in is filled with mail freight. The talk 15 years ago was if the post office ever went away, we would be screwed.
Sounds like that's about to change, at this point Raj should sell the company for pennies to Bezos...

Amazon is strategically placing hubs next to their biggest customers and Memphis is constantly getting snowed in? Fat Freddy better throw the towel in

Aquaman

If we lose the postal contract, or if it’s even massively diminished… FedEx Express is gone. This operation makes zero sense without the postal volume. Our whole day to day business plan revolves around that contract lol.

zeev

Mail contract in my location ran during the day lots of heavyweight but that has diminished much of it given to FedEx Freight.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If we lose the postal contract, or if it’s even massively diminished… FedEx Express is gone. This operation makes zero sense without the postal volume. Our whole day to day business plan revolves around that contract lol.
What do you mean, if we lose the contract? FedEx plans to walk away from it unless the USPS agrees to significant changes when the contract is up in September. The postal volume only accounts for 4% of revenue and barely turns a profit. The main effect of not renewing the contract is a reduction in daytime flights and getting rid of some pilots.

FedupExpress

What do you mean, if we lose the contract? FedEx plans to walk away from it unless the USPS agrees to significant changes when the contract is up in September. The postal volume only accounts for 4% of revenue and barely turns a profit. The main effect of not renewing the contract is a reduction in daytime flights and getting rid of some pilots.
Contract or not, fedex is done.

MAKAVELI

What other contract accounts for 4%? That's a pretty big chunk of change.

FedupExpress

The only reason express is strong arming USPS is because they’re in the process of shrinking Express down to nothing. No postal really helps hurry that along.
100% facts, I imagine a year from now express will be a part time gig no benefits.

I can't wait to see how they will evict all the old timers in the coming months.
If all goes well I am putting my 2 weeks notice in a few days

Gone fishin

100% facts, I imagine a year from now express will be a part time gig no benefits.

I can't wait to see how they will evict all the old timers in the coming months.
All the old timers are fine with everything going part time before retirement. It’s the younger drivers I feel bad for

!Retired!

Sounds like express has one customer that can keep the company afloat. That’s not good.

Contract or not, fedex is done.
Seems I've heard this before. Didn't everyone say FedEx was done when they dropped Amazon?

Artee

There are three stations in my immediate area. Over the last few months one of them has hired 37 couriers with 20 of them being full-time. The other two stations have hired 12+ couriers over the same time. The employees at one station have been told by the engineer that everyone is safe for the next 5-7 years. For a company that is going out of business, they have a funny way of showing it.

Congrats on getting out and moving on. Sounds like a good move for a younger person who has had enough of FDX.

It will be fine

There are three stations in my immediate area. Over the last few months one of them has hired 37 couriers with 20 of them being full-time. The other two stations have hired 12+ couriers over the same time. The employees at one station have been told by the engineer that everyone is safe for the next 5-7 years. For a company that is going out of business, they have a funny way of showing it.

Congrats on getting out and moving on. Sounds like a good move for a younger person who has had enough of FDX.
No chance anyone knows what’ll happen in 5-7 years at this company.

vantexan

No chance anyone knows what’ll happen in 5-7 years at this company.
When I started at the Memphis Hub in '86 my mgr told us in a meeting that the only thing that FedEx guarantees is things will change. That is certainly true. What she failed to say was just how dishonest FedEx would be about future changes because the only thing that mattered for us as individual employees was that we were as productive as possible for as little pay as possible. Everything that we thought was part of our future with the company then was just window dressing to lure us in and keep us at it.