V-Day/ Fail?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm the same way -- a bonus week of pay, just for showing up when I'm supposed to. I dunno how it entered a V Day thread. Give him time, and he'll complain about being docked for pay when he clocks in late.

BZ, what a couple of synchophants!! I know Uncle Fred wishes there were more unquestioning employees like you out there. I'm glad you're OK with a punitive sick policy that encourages people to work when they probably shouldn't be.

quadro

BZ, what a couple of synchophants!! I know Uncle Fred wishes there were more unquestioning employees like you out there. I'm glad you're OK with a punitive sick policy that encourages people to work when they probably shouldn't be.
So I'll ask you again, what would you consider a fair sick policy? And if a sick policy isn't punitive, then it's what? Rewarding? If there isn't a consequence for calling in sick then sick days just become vacation days.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So I'll ask you again, what would you consider a fair sick policy? And if a sick policy isn't punitive, then it's what? Rewarding? If there isn't a consequence for calling in sick then sick days just become vacation days.

Fair would be acknowledging a doctor's note or notification from other medical providers that an employee was legitimately ill. Those days would not be held against you on your review. If you choose to take a "mental health day" (fake-it), you take your lumps and it counts against you. Of course, some people will argue that they were truly sick and couldn't get an appointment, whether it's true or not. That will always be a problem.

At least at my station, there is enormous pressure put on being purple and listening to your manager remind you of how you've let the team down or some other BS. Personally, I don't call-in sick, so I always get my bonus pay, but there have been plenty of times where I should have stayed home for safety's sake.

quadro

Fair would be acknowledging a doctor's note or notification from other medical providers that an employee was legitimately ill. Those days would not be held against you on your review. If you choose to take a "mental health day" (fake-it), you take your lumps and it counts against you. Of course, some people will argue that they were truly sick and couldn't get an appointment, whether it's true or not. That will always be a problem.

At least at my station, there is enormous pressure put on being purple and listening to your manager remind you of how you've let the team down or some other BS. Personally, I don't call-in sick, so I always get my bonus pay, but there have been plenty of times where I should have stayed home for safety's sake.
I agree with your sentiments, unfortunately that lends itself to abuse. You'll have some people who are friends with a doctor and can easily get a note so they never get held accountable. You'll have some people who aren't necessarily friends but will go to the doctor just to get a note. And then you'll have some people who will complain that FedEx is making them spend money on a doctor's visit to get a note to prove they were sick.

For those employees who are seriously ill and miss several days, then a lot of times their absences will be covered under FMLA and those days won't count against them.

For those employees who rarely get sick but miss a day here and there and aren't covered under FMLA, they can make up for those days with a bonus point or two under the right circumstances.

Lastly, unless your absence is covered under FMLA, why should someone who was sick get the same review score as someone who was there 100% of the time?

You'll never really have a sick policy that everyone agrees with, so the best thing you can do is make it fair. At Express, you can be out about 8 days a year and still be satisfactory (FMLA absences don't count) which seems pretty fair.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

I think the real problem is that some people dare to question *you.

59 Dano

Personally, I don't call-in sick, so I always get my bonus pay, but there have been plenty of times where I should have stayed home for safety's sake.

You mean you don't mind creating unsafe working conditions and then working in them? I ask this because I know that if FedEx --pardon me, FRED FRED FRED-- asked you to do that you'd be on here screaming about how he doesn't care about your safety or your health.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You mean you don't mind creating unsafe working conditions and then working in them? I ask this because I know that if FedEx --pardon me, FRED FRED FRED-- asked you to do that you'd be on here screaming about how he doesn't care about your safety or your health.

He doesn't care, and neither does FedEx. What they do care about is making sure you show-up to work so they can run the leanest operation possible. Chances are, that you probably run your route a lot better than your replacement. Who knows, they might even have to split-it. That costs money. The whole FedEx culture operates around a false premise of PSP and "FedEx Cares", when they could really give a crap about you or how you feel. It's all about the money....all the time. That's why your manager is instructed by the corporation to make your sick call as uncomfortable as possible. Maybe your manager doesn't follow the book...I dont know how much guff you get when you give Maury a call and tell him the Propaganda Department will have to operate from home today.(ha..just kidding)

I choose to work sick because I still have pride in what I do (on my own, not for FedEx), don't like to let my customers down, and like to be good at my job. My work ethic dictates that I be responsible, and some of my real estate customers are also my FedEx customers. So, I take good care of them.

You know, the ironic thing about all of you showing-up right now is that you actually increase interest in the Teamsters....thanks! The hits on this site always go way up whenever 2 or 3 of you get on here and try to straighten all of bad attitude employees out and stick-up for what a great place FedEx is.

59 Dano

He doesn't care, and neither does FedEx. What they do care about is making sure you show-up to work so they can run the leanest operation possible. Chances are, that you probably run your route a lot better than your replacement. Who knows, they might even have to split-it. That costs money. The whole FedEx culture operates around a false premise of PSP and "FedEx Cares", when they could really give a crap about you or how you feel. It's all about the money....all the time. That's why your manager is instructed by the corporation to make your sick call as uncomfortable as possible. Maybe your manager doesn't follow the book...I dont know how much guff you get when you give Maury a call and tell him the Propaganda Department will have to operate from home today.(ha..just kidding)

I choose to work sick because I still have pride in what I do (on my own, not for FedEx), don't like to let my customers down, and like to be good at my job. My work ethic dictates that I be responsible, and some of my real estate customers are also my FedEx customers. So, I take good care of them.

So FedEx is evil and heartless for wanting you to do what you just said you're willing to do on your own without being asked???? You also seem to know a lot about my manager. What's his name?

You know, the ironic thing about all of you showing-up right now is that you actually increase interest in the Teamsters....thanks! The hits on this site always go way up whenever 2 or 3 of you get on here and try to straighten all of bad attitude employees out and stick-up for what a great place FedEx is.

I couldn't care less who is or isn't interested in the Teamsters. If you're interested in the Teamsters, go be interested in the Teamsters! Invite some friends to go be interested with you! Invite some co-workers! In case you haven't noticed in your babbling fits of paranoia, I don't believe I've ever said a word here against or in favor of the Teamsters, or unionizing in general. I don't know where "ironic" comes into play, though I suspect it's merely an indicator that you're talking about things you know nothing about... again.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So FedEx is evil and heartless for wanting you to do what you just said you're willing to do on your own without being asked???? You also seem to know a lot about my manager. What's his name?

I couldn't care less who is or isn't interested in the Teamsters. If you're interested in the Teamsters, go be interested in the Teamsters! Invite some friends to go be interested with you! Invite some co-workers! In case you haven't noticed in your babbling fits of paranoia, I don't believe I've ever said a word here against or in favor of the Teamsters, or unionizing in general. I don't know where "ironic" comes into play, though I suspect it's merely an indicator that you're talking about things you know nothing about... again.

The fact that you consistently defend the company no matter what would tend to indicate that you also support the unofficial FedEx anti-union policy and do not want to be a Teamster.

59 Dano

The fact that you consistently defend the company no matter what would tend to indicate that you also support the unofficial FedEx anti-union policy and do not want to be a Teamster.

Disagreeing with you does not equal agreeing with the company, it means that I disagree with something that you've said. How 'bout you read what's posted instead of trying to decipher some secret meaning that isn't there?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
OK, does that mean you want to go union? I could care less if you disagree with me. What's your stance on the Teamsters?