Vacation pay?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have an issue that I hope some of you more informed union members can help me with.

I had surgery on the 13th and in preparation scheduled 4 weeks of vacation beginning on the 11th (w/e 1/16, 23, 30 and 2/6). I took vacation as the injury was not work related and disability does not pay the bills.

I expected to receive my vacation checks on 1/2-----did not get them. Notified my supervisor and steward and was told I would have them 1/9.

I did not receive any of my vacation checks on 1/9. Notified my supervisor and steward and was told that they had never been put in. Adjustment was made and I was told that I would receive all 4 checks 1/16.

3 of the 4 checks were on upsers this morning-----missing check w/e 2/6. Sent my center manager a text and he responded saying that I would receive the missing check 1/23, which would be 2 weeks prior.

This is the first time that I have ever scheduled more than 2 weeks of vacation in a row so I have no idea if he is telling me the truth as I assumed I would receive all 4 checks at the same time.

Should I have received all 4 checks at the same time or is my center manager correct in that UPS will hold and then issue the check(s) 2 weeks ahead?

I have found out that the penalty pay has been changed. Now you only get 4 hours of penalty pay for every week that the company fails to pay for a properly scheduled vacation. If my math is correct I should be up to 8 hours for their failure to pay on 1/2 and 1/9; however, would it be 12 hours as I am still one check short?

Any help would be appreciated.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I have an issue that I hope some of you more informed union members can help me with.

I had surgery on the 13th and in preparation scheduled 4 weeks of vacation beginning on the 11th (w/e 1/16, 23, 30 and 2/6). I took vacation as the injury was not work related and disability does not pay the bills.

I expected to receive my vacation checks on 1/2-----did not get them. Notified my supervisor and steward and was told I would have them 1/9.

I did not receive any of my vacation checks on 1/9. Notified my supervisor and steward and was told that they had never been put in. Adjustment was made and I was told that I would receive all 4 checks 1/16.

3 of the 4 checks were on upsers this morning-----missing check w/e 2/6. Sent my center manager a text and he responded saying that I would receive the missing check 1/23, which would be 2 weeks prior.

This is the first time that I have ever scheduled more than 2 weeks of vacation in a row so I have no idea if he is telling me the truth as I assumed I would receive all 4 checks at the same time.

Should I have received all 4 checks at the same time or is my center manager correct in that UPS will hold and then issue the check(s) 2 weeks ahead?

I have found out that the penalty pay has been changed. Now you only get 4 hours of penalty pay for every week that the company fails to pay for a properly scheduled vacation. If my math is correct I should be up to 8 hours for their failure to pay on 1/2 and 1/9; however, would it be 12 hours as I am still one check short?

Article 17 states that the check must be available no later than the work day prior to the start of vacation.
"Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to
the employees no later than the workday prior to their vacation. If the
employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer will
make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day
including delivery by Saturday or Next Day Air. If the employee
requests to see his vacation check on the Monday as permitted
below and the Employer fails to make the vacation payment
available by Saturday following the employee’s regular scheduled
pay day, the employee shall be paid an additional amount equal
to one-half (1/2) of his or her daily guarantee at his or her regular
hourly rate of pay for every subsequent pay period until the
shortage is corrected."
Did you not receive them before the start of the vacation?

UpsYours

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Then you have a case against them. Just make sure the fight is worth it to you. Extra money can lead to extra headache when you return to work.

UpsYours

i had a vaca that hasent been paid yet. got with steward and we gave management a week to and they failed to get check to me.so i filed a grievance a few weeks ago, still waiting.in process now. hope to get penalty pay as well.i was told double pay penalty,hope your right i would be getting more .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i had a vaca that hasent been paid yet. got with steward and we gave management a week to and they failed to get check to me.so i filed a grievance a few weeks ago, still waiting.in process now. hope to get penalty pay as well.i was told double pay penalty,hope your right i would be getting more .

Penalty pay has changed---you may be getting less than expected.

By The Book

They don't like frivolous grievances. This one is clear cut.
I'm guessing you signed the first 3 months of the year posting for vacation time. This is not the same as the vacation selection period where you fill out the sheet and pick on a certain day by seniority. That being said I don't think that should matter, as this is a common practice, and usually the checks are received just like normal. If you want to file, file.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm guessing you signed the first 3 months of the year posting for vacation time. This is not the same as the vacation selection period where you fill out the sheet and pick on a certain day by seniority. That being said I don't think that should matter, as this is a common practice, and usually the checks are received just like normal. If you want to file, file.

I chose my vacations based on seniority by filling out the sheet by a certain day.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Penalty pay has changed---you may be getting less than expected.

He will be getting half his daily guarantee in penalty pay for every week he does not receive his vacation check.

If he is full time, that will be 4 hours straight time every week until he gets his vacation check.

Looks like he is already up to 8 hours, going on 12 hours shortly, of penalty pay.