Veteran Status

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our manager was very clear. It is so that FedEx can get the tax credits for hiring veterans. Google corporate tax break for hiring veterans

They only have through December to make sure that they have submitted for the tax credit so they are asking who is a veteran so that they don't miss out on any of that free money.

On a related note: the fact that many of you are not getting the real story may make me loose some of my cynacism towards management. I'll explain. After the SFA scores came out the MD visited all of his ramps to try and determine the problems. The top answers were pay, benefits, and management not being straight forward and honest with employees.

So if management is finally telling the truth (in our AGFS district at least) that is a good thing and means that not all management are yes men repeating the company line (lie), ignorant of the truth or just lacking the skills to comprehend what is actually going on.

BTW for those in the 0-25% of pay scale (2% raise) did you notice that because the scale went up 3% you are now 1% lower in scale then you were before the raises.

So much for the stated purpose of the disproportionate raises (this time) that it was to help employees get to top of scale faster. Management either cant do math or thinks we can't/won't either. It will take those in the 25-50% forever to top out, those in 50-75% between 25-50 more years. I don't count the 75-99% because I am not sure that there are any employees in that range because in order to reach 50% you would have had to been in position 12 years and received a perfect score on your reviews (when they still had them) and that barely puts you at 50%. All of the employees who were in class more that about 18 years ago topped out long ago because back then there were raises every six months...

OK...this makes sense. FedEx will go for a twofer in that they get a tax credit and trumpet their care and respect for veterans with a Costco sheet cake and some phony proclamation of appreciation. All Fred wants is the tax credit, so he could give two cents about the veterans.

I think it's wrong to try and harvest PR hay for the service of our veterans, but now I know why big corporations like Union Pacific and FedEx are trying to cash-in and simultaneously prove what great corporate citizens they are.

Never lose your cynicism toward FedEx management...they deserve every bit of it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Happy Veterans Day to all the vets. I genuinely thank you for your service.

They had a ceremony at my station this morning for the veterans. Cooked them breakfast, cake and a video presentation with photos they brought in. If it makes them feel appreciated, I'm all for it, regardless of what the motives of FedEx might have been.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
image.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

They had a ceremony at my station this morning for the veterans. Cooked them breakfast, cake and a video presentation with photos they brought in. If it makes them feel appreciated, I'm all for it, regardless of what the motives of FedEx might have been.

Thank you vets, but screw you FedEx.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center manager thanked each of the veterans personally during the PCM.