Virginia to close rest areas?!?!??

over9five

Staff member
Absolutely not.

They do not provide hotels for railroaders that start at one terminal, finish at another, sleep, leave for their home terminal the next day.

They also do not provide hotels for pilots.

Both also have federally mandated rest periods.

TB

But both your examples have parking at the terminal or the airport. It would be very dificult to make a rest area for an airplane. I'm talking about the OTR trucker between terminals who has to park his rig in order to take his government mandated break.

lazydriver

There is a 2 hour parking limit in rest areas for cars and trucks in Va rest areas. Not enforced all the time. It has been awhile since I have seen MD troopers ticketing truckers for parking along the shoulder into the rest area. OTR drivers have it tougher than UPS. When I did layover UPS provided a hotel room. On a sleeper team you are in the bunk for your 10hrs off. So no the State if VA does not provide a place to legally rest. The state of MD does allow trucks to park in the weigh stations when closed to legally rest.

tieguy

Banned
Absolutely not.

They do not provide hotels for railroaders that start at one terminal, finish at another, sleep, leave for their home terminal the next day.

They also do not provide hotels for pilots.

Both also have federally mandated rest periods.

TB

You're taking a tough position. You never know when a driver may get drowsey and need that rest area to stretch and our take a power nap before rolling again. The benifit of having that rest area may be less family members getting killed by sleepy truckers.

barnyard

KTM rider
You're taking a tough position. You never know when a driver may get drowsey and need that rest area to stretch and our take a power nap before rolling again. The benifit of having that rest area may be less family members getting killed by sleepy truckers.

I disagree.

It is up to the driver to arrive at work rested. A railroader does not have the option to 'pull the train over' if he/she needs a nap.

This leads to the larger debate concerning logs and drivers that fudge them and companies that turn a blind eye to it.

If truckload freight moved similiarly to LTL, providing parking for the homeless would not be an issue.

As taxpayers, we spend billions providing the trucking industry with steering wheel holders so that they can continue to treat employees so poorly, that 125% turnover is the industry norm.

If trucking companies had to follow hours of service laws as closely as the railroads, most would go out of business.

TB