vision care

dei8

Hey,

This might be a stupid question, but as drivers do we get vision benefits? I know we have great medical/dental, but I have not heard about vision. Thanks

over9five

Staff member
It's a great question!

Here we get 1 free checkup (no copay) per year for each family member. I believe we get 2 free pairs of glasses per year too(Not real sure, cuz no-one in my family needs them).

HazMatMan

Hey,

This might be a stupid question, but as drivers do we get vision benefits? I know we have great medical/dental, but I have not heard about vision. Thanks

I believe it's 150 dollars per year per person. Call your union hall for the vouchers, you have to go to a participating eye care center which the union can send you info about. I believe the eye exam is free... Call your union hall for details. It may be different where you live and work...

yeldarb

I am not sure on what the vision covers, and had lasik a couple years ago. I do know that every 2 years, our plan covers 100 bucks on a pair of sunglasses.

Pip

Vision here is with VSP, company sponsored plan.

Free examination no co-pay once a year. includes family.

lenses are covered, no co-pay = single, bi-focal, tri-focal lined Have to pay extra for the progressive lenses(no lines)

Frames are paid up to $90 no co-pay, anything over that I pay the difference.

Contact lenses are covered up to $100 I think.

Everything above is once a year. I usually get a new pair of glasses every year, lenses get scratched up a lot.

laser visioncare is discounted, I think the health insurance picks up the larger portion of that, though.

You have to use a participating vsp provider to get the full discounts. they also pay non providers, but the discounts aren't as good.

raceanoncr

Vision here is with VSP, company sponsored plan.

Free examination no co-pay once a year. includes family.

lenses are covered, no co-pay = single, bi-focal, tri-focal lined Have to pay extra for the progressive lenses(no lines)

Frames are paid up to $90 no co-pay, anything over that I pay the difference.

Contact lenses are covered up to $100 I think.

Everything above is once a year. I usually get a new pair of glasses every year, lenses get scratched up a lot.

laser visioncare is discounted, I think the health insurance picks up the larger portion of that, though.

You have to use a participating vsp provider to get the full discounts. they also pay non providers, but the discounts aren't as good.

Pip,
Laser visioncare is discounted? Health insurance picks up the larger portion of that? Wow! I'd like to get in on that...serious! Been thinking of it for long time but heard that insurance or VSP wouldn't touch it.

Will make serious inquiries here now...so's SOMEBODY, besides me, will pay for it before I retire, hopefully in 2 yrs.

Pip

Pip,
Laser visioncare is discounted? Health insurance picks up the larger portion of that? Wow! I'd like to get in on that...serious! Been thinking of it for long time but heard that insurance or VSP wouldn't touch it.

Will make serious inquiries here now...so's SOMEBODY, besides me, will pay for it before I retire, hopefully in 2 yrs.

I was checking into the laser surgery the other year, but was told since I needed bi-focals, that I wouldn't be getting the full benefit of it, so I forgot about getting it. Sucks when ya get old. Recon I'll be stuck with the bifocals the rest of my life, don't even want to think about tri-focals. VSP has a website to check on employee coverages. I have Aetna insurance through the company, not sure if you have the same setup or not.

rod

Retired 22 years
Just remember that when you retire you lose you dental and vision benifits. It's surprising how good a person takes care of their teeth if your paying dental work out of your own pocket. And no you probably won't be buying 2 pairs of glasses every year either.

dei8

Thanks for all the answers. Not sure what VSP is though. I will talk to my union rep tomorrow to get all the answers. Isnt this site great when you get answers you can use, instead of hearing how bad our life is lol This job by far has given my family the best coverage we have ever had, and to think I might be able to get lasik also. Thanks again

I was checking into the laser surgery the other year, but was told since I needed bi-focals, that I wouldn't be getting the full benefit of it, so I forgot about getting it. Sucks when ya get old. Recon I'll be stuck with the bifocals the rest of my life, don't even want to think about tri-focals. VSP has a website to check on employee coverages. I have Aetna insurance through the company, not sure if you have the same setup or not.

They do have a way to correct your eyes now so you don't need the bi-focals. It is called CK or Conductive Keratoplasty

rod

Retired 22 years
rod, here in upstate new york we do not lose our dental and vision benefit when we retire. we have it until we turn 62.
Made you guys the winner. I'm envious. I'm still amazied at how many different retirement plans there are even though we all retire as a "Teamster." It costs me $100.00 a month for medical and prescription ($9.00 co-pay on prescriptions) insurance. That covers both me and my wife. Don't get me wrong I am NOT complaining. I have many friends that would kill to have a retirement set up like I do.I highly recomend retirement to everyone. Don't work one more day than you have to. On second thought go ahead and put in 35-40 years. I will spend your contribution checks wisely. A person can never have too many toys you know.

O

oldupsman

Hate to tell you this Rod and Retired but in Metro Philly we keep all our health care benefits for 50.00 a month until we're 65.

rod

Retired 22 years
Hate to tell you this Rod and Retired but in Metro Philly we keep all our health care benefits for 50.00 a month until we're 65.
Ah- but the key to your post is "Metro Philly" . Being retired in the Land of 10,000 Lakes, I wouldn't trade places with you for tripple my pension & benefits. You betca don't cha know.

O

oldupsman

Don't let Metro "Philly" fool you Rod. It's a big place. I live 35 miles out of the city. On a 10 acre lot, surrounded by 10+ acre lots. I know what you're saying though. Been to Minnesota. Wonderful place.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It is the VSP plan in Ohio also. It pays for your exam, 90 on frames, and the lenses are covered, with extra for tint, no line, photo gray, etc. I believe you can go to www.UPSERS.com, and get the exact plan for your area. I sometimes, get the script on buy them online, through various differnt places, or take the script to my local lab, which happens to be on the route, and pay less than I would pay after vsp coverage, and I stick with glass, as I got sick of plastic which gets scratched too easily for me. I dont notice the weight which is what everyone says is the downside, If you have a heavy script it may make a difference but it does not to me, and I can abuse them like I do everything else in my life and they take it. Also a few guys have the titanium, frames which you can roll up in a ball and they spring back to original fit. thats cool. but $$$