Vote yes on 177.

opie

If this goes through. We will see a lot of people retire. Lots of openings.
Yeah, but not 22.3. They haven't to my knowledge created or filled a 22.3 job in a few years. There's been 22.3 jobs vacated due to retirement, transfer, termination etc....but they just put PTers in those positions. Hope they can get UPS to allocate some 22.3's specifically to Local 177 as some other locals have done, like Local 804. Local 177 E-Board really boasted during election time on how good they are, and how nationally respected our local is, so hopefully they can come through.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yeah, but not 22.3. They haven't to my knowledge created or filled a 22.3 job in a few years. There's been 22.3 jobs vacated due to retirement, transfer, termination etc....but they just put PTers in those positions. Hope they can get UPS to allocate some 22.3's specifically to Local 177 as some other locals have done, like Local 804. Local 177 E-Board really boasted during election time on how good they are, and how nationally respected our local is, so hopefully they can come through.
They moved the 22.3 job the the hub in Nebraska.

The Milkman

Just at the local 177 meeting. Healthcare looks good. Pension looks good. Also the BA's are looking to get more out of the company.

GOOD JOB 177 UNION REPRESENTATIVES.

East Coast I know you now work in my old ctr..When I started the benefits as I can remember were never used as bargaining chips. The time bonus has slowly went away, The bonus for signing which we had I believe once, Ups always made huge profits no matter their margin. The friend/Ters got the raises while the P/ters got the shaft at our expense. If anything benefits were the backbone of our contract which made working at UPS worth all the BS and daily physical demands placed on you. The retirees that left while I was there left once told me don't give anything back because you will never see it again especially your benefits. Do not accept a bonus, they said they would rather take a dime an hour because that would stay with you throughout your time at UPS and can not be taken back..they were right. So the way things are going, little by little (I know how long you have been at UPS) eventually next contract they will nibble at your benefits again so that by the time you retire more than likely half your pension will have to go towards your benefits. It may look good to you now but anyone hired back in the late 70's or early 80's like myself will tell you that Big Brown never cared about you, only the bottom line at everyones mental and physical expense. Lip service is alive and well (always has been) used to brainwash people to believe they have your best interests at heart. Once you get to retirement age you will look back and possibly say " Ya Know I think The Milkman was right". Things should improve over time not decline by givebacks. The way this economy is and every other contract time UPS always plays the "Volume is down" "layoffs are coming" etc etc just to shake up and possibly scare some rookie drivers who are afraid to say no. Nowadays alot more people make more money for less stress. In the 80's yes my salary was well above the average guy but now 50-60k jobs are all over the place without all the crap dealt with daily at UPS. Just my thoughts, you may disagree ,but someday you will be in the same boat as me but maybe taking on a little more water than mine...:surprised:

Indecisi0n

East Coast I know you now work in my old ctr..When I started the benefits as I can remember were never used as bargaining chips. The time bonus has slowly went away, The bonus for signing which we had I believe once, Ups always made huge profits no matter their margin. The friend/Ters got the raises while the P/ters got the shaft at our expense. If anything benefits were the backbone of our contract which made working at UPS worth all the BS and daily physical demands placed on you. The retirees that left while I was there left once told me don't give anything back because you will never see it again especially your benefits. Do not accept a bonus, they said they would rather take a dime an hour because that would stay with you throughout your time at UPS and can not be taken back..they were right. So the way things are going, little by little (I know how long you have been at UPS) eventually next contract they will nibble at your benefits again so that by the time you retire more than likely half your pension will have to go towards your benefits. It may look good to you now but anyone hired back in the late 70's or early 80's like myself will tell you that Big Brown never cared about you, only the bottom line at everyones mental and physical expense. Lip service is alive and well (always has been) used to brainwash people to believe they have your best interests at heart. Once you get to retirement age you will look back and possibly say " Ya Know I think The Milkman was right". Things should improve over time not decline by givebacks. The way this economy is and every other contract time UPS always plays the "Volume is down" "layoffs are coming" etc etc just to shake up and possibly scare some rookie drivers who are afraid to say no. Nowadays alot more people make more money for less stress. In the 80's yes my salary was well above the average guy but now 50-60k jobs are all over the place without all the crap dealt with daily at UPS. Just my thoughts, you may disagree ,but someday you will be in the same boat as me but maybe taking on a little more water than mine...:surprised:

What do you feel we gave back in benefits that was so important?

mbartok

nothing has changed after 40 hrs. the $.30 give back toward the pension goes back to ups that is $.45 hr. in ot after 5 yrs. that adds up to $2.25 hr lost ot pay 10hrs a week, $20.25 a week in lost pay that is over $1,000.00 a year but I guess "that the price of doing business" according to our executive board. put all the money into the pension, not just the first 40 hrs or give us back the full overtime rate vote no until they get it right

Inthegame

... Nowadays alot more people make more money for less stress. In the 80's yes my salary was well above the average guy but now 50-60k jobs are all over the place without all the crap dealt with daily at UPS. Just my thoughts, you may disagree ,but someday you will be in the same boat as me but maybe taking on a little more water than mine...:surprised:
Benefits were always part of the negotiations or as you state "bargaining chips".
$50K per year translates to $24 hr jobs which are not "all over the place". A pkg driver working the minimum (nobody) 40 hour week makes over $67K yearly w/o benefits (another $30-35K) which is still far above the average guy.
As a retiree, I'd be comforted that my Local Union has the foresight to make adjustments to the Pension allocation that will bolster the fund that supports my retirement. If they ignore reality and do as some posters suggest, you'd likely face benefit cuts.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Maybe those P/T that got the shaft have long memories.
​Payback can be hell at some point.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

$50k-60k/year jobs are all over the place? Where?!

As Inthegame said: "$50K per year translates to $24 hr jobs which are not 'all over the place'." Those jobs barely exist any more -- my dad spent 3 years on unemployment and going through a displaced worker training program just to land an $11/hr gig at a warehouse after putting in 20+ applications a week for over 18+ months.

The Milkman

What do you feel we gave back in benefits that was so important?

Givebacks are just that, eventually you will not have anything left. Trust me someday when you are retired those givebacks will come back to haunt you. If all current friend/Ters are willing to let UPS chip away at their benefits then so be it. Again while UPS is raking in the profits at your expense there is no reason for any givebacks, if anything..leave them the way they are at current levels.. Anything less in my old local (177) benefit plan is a giveback. They add up contract over contract. If UPS was losing money like the auto companies did then YES you have to have concessions on both sides to keep the company afloat, SS BIG BROWN is not sinking as far as I can see. Just my thoughts as I see all future retirees and current friend/ters getting less with more and more placed on them. When a company is profitable I would think that everyone should benefit from the bloated Board all the way down to the preloders , Union car washers and porters (which many local do not have..I wonder why?) And I will say there are many jobs that pay more, my own nephew who is a geek sat in an office punching a keyboard yrs back making well over a 100k without all the OT and crap UPS dishes out..Gee here I am busting my tail 11-12 hrs daily while he is home by 5pm. I know others and I am sure many know of halfway paying decent jobs that pay close to what you earn at UPS..without the Stress..Again at least keep the current levels of benefits if UPS is profitable...I would think that is not asking to much.......

Indecisi0n

Givebacks are just that, eventually you will not have anything left. Trust me someday when you are retired those givebacks will come back to haunt you. If all current friend/Ters are willing to let UPS chip away at their benefits then so be it. Again while UPS is raking in the profits at your expense there is no reason for any givebacks, if anything..leave them the way they are at current levels.. Anything less in my old local (177) benefit plan is a giveback. They add up contract over contract. If UPS was losing money like the auto companies did then YES you have to have concessions on both sides to keep the company afloat, SS BIG BROWN is not sinking as far as I can see. Just my thoughts as I see all future retirees and current friend/ters getting less with more and more placed on them. When a company is profitable I would think that everyone should benefit from the bloated Board all the way down to the preloders , Union car washers and porters (which many local do not have..I wonder why?) And I will say there are many jobs that pay more, my own nephew who is a geek sat in an office punching a keyboard yrs back making well over a 100k without all the OT and crap UPS dishes out..Gee here I am busting my tail 11-12 hrs daily while he is home by 5pm. I know others and I am sure many know of halfway paying decent jobs that pay close to what you earn at UPS..without the Stress..Again at least keep thcurrent levels of benefits if UPS is profitable...I would think that is not asking to much.......

And you think you can just walk into a 100K computer job?

The Milkman

And you think you can just walk into a 100K computer job?

never said I could, never finished HS so my skills were limited, driving was my skill, but my nephew and his brother who didnt even know how to screw on an oil filter after an oil change did land such jobs, and another nephew made 72k working at an auto repair shop. This was before I retired in 08, he was skilled but fairly good paying jobs are out there. My nephews made more than me and as you know the hours away from home take their toll on our lives.