Wal-Mart protesters arrested at Black Friday rallies

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The NLRB applies to a narrow range of activities that are related to collective bargaining (Unionizing).
These protests in front of Walmart that are disrupting their business without any mention of Unionizing leaves Walmart the opening they need to take "retaliatory" action.
These types of retaliatory actions have been upheld to be legal since "freedom of speech" protects the individual from a government from taking actions against the individual.

If these employee actions are determined to be of an "organizing" nature then the NLRB will be relevant.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The NLRB applies to a narrow range of activities that are related to collective bargaining (Unionizing).
These protests in front of Walmart that are disrupting their business without any mention of Unionizing leaves Walmart the opening they need to take "retaliatory" action.
These types of retaliatory actions have been upheld to be legal since "freedom of speech" protects the individual from a government from taking actions against the individual.

If these employee actions are determined to be of an "organizing" nature then the NLRB will be relevant.
Interesting perspective regarding the not mentioning unionizing in their protests. I hadn't considered that. I kind of feel like everyone assumes unionization is the only way to achieve what they're asking, especially since so many of the protesters are actually union employees. It's definitely a gray area. I guess anyone could claim their goal was unionization after the retaliation, when really they just wanted the public to pressure Walmart to give them what they want, without having to pay dues or properly organize.

I will say though that the NLRB has already come out and said they find merit in the claims of retaliation by Walmart (surveillance, threatening, discipline, termination). So I'm thinking those employees must have proof their goal was unionizing. Sadly most of those claims will probably be settled quietly out of court, and it won't help current employees at all.

Bottom line the employees need to step up and unionize, but because Walmart is getting away with retaliating against people living paycheck to paycheck it's probably never gonna happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First---you choose to work for Walmart.
Second --you are dopey enough to protest YOUR decision .:ban:

Do many of their employees have options beyond retail or service sector jobs?

This is the same argument ongoing in the FedEx Forum regarding Ground contractors. Do the contractors have the moral obligation to ensure their employees are earning a living wage or are they entitled to keep their profits while paying whatever the market will bear? Ground drivers agree to work under the terms and conditions of their employer. These include wages and benefits. Do the drivers have any recourse after the fact?

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I enjoyed that video clip which had some dumb guy stating that he would not be picketing if he wasn't getting paid .

Catatonic

Nine Lives

This is the same argument ongoing in the FedEx Forum regarding Ground contractors. Do the contractors have the moral obligation to ensure their employees are earning a living wage or are they entitled to keep their profits while paying whatever the market will bear? Ground drivers agree to work under the terms and conditions of their employer. These include wages and benefits. Do the drivers have any recourse after the fact?

Are you referring to slum-Lord bbsam? :devil3:

island1fox

ups,

Many had an opportunity to pay attention in school --did not take it.

Also --This reminds me of a conversation with a very Liberal neighbor recently. He claimed "these people" have very low I.Q.'S and we as a society must take care of them !!!

In a free society --with all the opportunities this country offers ---to be a "career walmart greater" ---expecting to make a huge salary is ridiculous.
Whether you work for UPS or Walmart or Burger King --there are always opportunities for advancement and higher standards of living for--those that remained in school and can at least read and write.
Tired of supporting school dropouts who must take menial jobs that because of the way they lived their lives --now cry that the system is against them -The bed YOU make is the BED you sleep in.:halfdead:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
ups,

Many had an opportunity to pay attention in school --did not take it.

Also --This reminds me of a conversation with a very Liberal neighbor recently. He claimed "these people" have very low I.Q.'S and we as a society must take care of them !!!

In a free society --with all the opportunities this country offers ---to be a "career walmart greater" ---expecting to make a huge salary is ridiculous.
Whether you work for UPS or Walmart or Burger King --there are always opportunities for advancement and higher standards of living for--those that remained in school and can at least read and write.
Tired of supporting school dropouts who must take menial jobs that because of the way they lived their lives --now cry that the system is against them -The bed YOU make is the BED you sleep in.:halfdead:

That is the conundrum we struggle with.
Most people want to help the truly needy and incapable.
No one wants to help the truly lazy and unmotivated.

island1fox

Hoax,

Very well stated. But in our country today ---very few if any people talk about the gamers and the lazy-----ALL "poor people" are "ENTITLED" :furious: