Warning Letter Based on Telematics

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yep. Has to be caught in the act. It should be grieved ASAP for that reason.
Does not need to be caught in the act to be given a warning letter based off telematics. They can give warning letters all day long without direct observation. He needs to be caught in the act for "discharge" based off telematics.

If he was not wearing his seatbelt, take the piece of paper and wear your seatbelt. You could file a grievance on the issue but would be lying about it. If you're OK with lying, go ahead. If it was a false positive, grieve the hell out of it.

Article 6
Section 6. Technology and Discipline

No employee shall be discharged if such discharge is based solely
upon information received from GPS or any successor system
unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes
of this paragraph as any intentional act or omission by an
employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The
Company must confirm by direct observation or other corroborating
evidence any other violations warranting discharge. The
degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be
changed because of the use of GPS.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I call bullsh1t because who the heck is going to get a warning letter for 1 instance.

I've accidentally caught my jacket or shirt when I buckled and it came off.
Same with the bulkhead door opening because the fob was pushed between my pants and car seat.

Telematics isn't what you should be afraid of, IT'S AN INCOMPETENT STEWARD THAT SHOULD SCARE YOU !!!!!
Sounds like they were trying to make an example out of this guy. I agree with you. 1 instance of no seatbelt and a warning letter? I would guess he traveled pretty far without it, not just a couple hundred feet before he could relatch it because his shirt had gotten stuck in it and it unlatched.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yes and they will use the " piece of paper" as their basis for further discipline.
They can use that "piece of paper" all they want. They cannot get a discharge without direct observation. I don't care if he was given 20 warning letters for no seatbelt. He cannot be discharged without direct observation. They would be hard pressed to try and even get a suspension.

Now, an employee that has a couple of these will undoubtedly cast the spotlight on himself and management will be following him to get that "direct observation."

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
[quote/] A warning letter is not discipline. It is a piece of paper. Discipline means suspension or termination and neither of these can happen based solely on Telematics reports.
If it shows up again on telematics is he able to be written up?[/quote]
They can give him another warning letter, but that's about it. But the contract does not mention suspension, only discharge. So it is possible that he can be suspended without direct observation.

Article 6

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They can give him another warning letter, but that's about it. But the contract does not mention suspension, only discharge. So it is possible that he can be suspended without direct observation.

Article 6

Sure, they can have a meeting and "suspend" him, but it wouldn't be upheld and he would never serve it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We grieve warning letters here.
Too funny.

Had a new center manager come in. Gonna change the world. Came from a bonus center in a right to work state. Let's just say our numbers weren't great compared to them.

Week one all kinds of warning letters. Quickly followed by grievances. center manager was like you can't grieve warning letters. I'll be fired if I have this many grievances against me.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If this guy didn't do anything wrong and is getting warning letters because of faulty technology, maybe he has a lawsuit against the manufacturer? We'll settle out of court.

Overpaid Union Thug

Does not need to be caught in the act to be given a warning letter based off telematics. They can give warning letters all day long without direct observation. He needs to be caught in the act for "discharge" based off telematics.

If he was not wearing his seatbelt, take the piece of paper and wear your seatbelt. You could file a grievance on the issue but would be lying about it. If you're OK with lying, go ahead. If it was a false positive, grieve the hell out of it.

Article 6

Waiting to be discharged on the premise that warning letters don't carry any weight is a dangerous gamble and the stakes are people's jobs. All grievances should be grieved. All of them. What is there to lie about? Not filing has gotten plenty of people in trouble. A handful of un-grieved warning letters is a Labor Manager's wet dream. If you let warning letters stick for anything you CAN get discharged as part of "progressive discipline." Yes, they can get their jobs back but not always swiftly. I don't know about you are anyone else but sitting at home wondering and waiting to get my job back while there are bills to pay and mouths to feed isn't something I want to do if I don't have to. Especially knowing that I could avoided it if I had only filled out a simple grievance form.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This thread is full of people who stand up for themselves with knowledge. Hopefully you've learned something today and can pass it on to anyone who hasn't yet come to the light that management has a short leash as to what they can and can't do pertaining to technology.

That being said, make sure you work safely and by the book, you'll have stress free career.

upschuck

Too funny.

Had a new center manager come in. Gonna change the world. Came from a bonus center in a right to work state. Let's just say our numbers weren't great compared to them.

Week one all kinds of warning letters. Quickly followed by grievances. center manager was like you can't grieve warning letters. I'll be fired if I have this many grievances against me.
Sounds like an easy remedy to me. Is the center manager still at UPS? :)

Packmule

We grieve warning letters here.
Grieve it. Get it thrown out so it is not there the next time telematics reports something.
BTW, I've had days right out of the blue when telematics said I didn't wear a seatbelt 60 times for 90 miles.
It was BS. I'm fanatical about seatbelts. No warning letter.
I think your driver is being targeted.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Grieve it. Get it thrown out so it is not there the next time telematics reports something.
BTW, I've had days right out of the blue when telematics said I didn't wear a seatbelt 60 times for 90 miles.
It was BS. I'm fanatical about seatbelts. No warning letter.
I think your driver is being targeted.
I love when it's 20 times for .01 miles and they come in all high and mighty until you talk some common sense into them.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I might even be inclined to throw in a harassment charge with the grieve.

This center manager is actually going to start discipline on a 25 year veteran because his seat belt sensor went off ONCE ???
My Local would have a field day with this :censored2:.

choofed.gif

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I agree. Don't say "it's just a warning letter and isn't discipline" because it is part of the progressive discipline process. It's management documenting and laying the foundation.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Our a center got bored with Telematics years ago. Apparently it kills production. We had one guy get caught with the seatbelt buckled underneath his butt. Didn't get fired for it. Got fired for it plus other things.