Warning Letter Based on Telematics

10 point

How is the driver supposed to know a sensor isn't working properly? The only way he will find out is if it shows up on a report the next day.
Yes and that's when we write it up. Our experience is that the sensors and connections are always getting repaired and noted as a system failure by the mechanic so no one in our building gets a write up until the mechanic has a chance to R & R the issue unless the "infraction" is witnessed by management.

We've have bulk head door and seatbelt issues show up (for many miles) weekly and it always turns out to be a system failure.

The last (and only) driver that got fired for not wearing seatbelts ...3 times...is now an on car supe in another building and that was a year before telematics were installed.

10 point

You can't know there's a problem with the sensor until the next day's report so that doesn't make sense.
The company acknowledges the system is flawed... especially in our center where we've got records and the mechanic's testimony to back it up.

See above post.

Their "warning letter" won't stick without other corroborating evidence.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I think some of you are a little paranoid. Unless your center is different my management team sure doesn't have the time to follow me every day hoping I screw up.
I bet if you took a poll, more than half the centers are like this. The center manager is almost vindictive if you grieve a warning letter. He has a point to prove. He will catch you and then will feel vindicated that he was "right" the first time.

I agree that there are plenty of center manager's who don't give a rats :censored2: and do not want to leave his/her air conditioned/heated office. Same with the on road sups. Too much work.

You must have a lazy management team. A good thing!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a driver who was told not to turn off his truck all day. Everytime he shut it off he needed a jump.

100+ recording while idling next day. They tried to fire him. This place is full of idiots.

I have been told by the mechanics to do this on two separate occasions. I always sent an ODS letting my mgt team know what was going on so they wouldn't be shocked when they saw how many recording in idles I had the following day.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Here's where common sense needs to be used.

I have had a few times with the lap belts where I guess it didn't latch all the way. Yet it doesn't retract it just lays across my lap and I don't realize it's not latched until I get to my stop.

I had no intention of not wearing my seatbelt but it happens from time to time. You'd be a maroon to not where your seatbelt at this place.
Agreed. And as I said before, if you "were" wearing your seatbelt, or "thought" you were wearing your seatbelt, grieve the hell out of it.

But if you were "not" wearing your seatbelt, how do you grieve it without lying about it?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Pick your battles and outright avoid them by filing on unjust grievances. In my area all grievances are generically written and each one says that the accused is being written up for "continuing to violate such such and such....." That alone is worthy of filing for an unjust grievance. If not.....the accused is basically allowing management to accuse them of repetitively making the same mistake even though THAT particular infraction had never happened before. But it could be used against them later. If they are being targeted those unchallenged grievances will be brought up again and most labor managers and center managers have been playing the game long enough to know that they only have a 9 month window in which to build a case for progressive discipline and they do it well. There was a recent thread that is a perfect example of why to file on every grievance.

http://www.browncafe.com/community/...iques-for-defending-a-driver-at-panel.358841/

If that driver had any unchallenged grievances still sitting in his file then those that were targeting him wouldn't have had to attempt to fire him/her by only nitpicking at the results of his/her OJS ride and the resulting failed metrics. They would have combined everything and they would have had a pretty strong case for progressive discipline with those mostly unrelated, but unchallenged, grievances. And if their warning letters are worded similarly to the ones in my area then they'd be toast. That is exactly why we are encouraged to file on every warning letter in my local. It's good advice so I follow it. But then again....I've only had two warning letters in my 16 years with UPS but that's beside that point.
Don't know where you're at, but we don't accept generic warning letters.

Warning letter states "failure to follow methods" and that's it. Yes, this could lead to a suspension for another infraction of "failure to follow methods."

The warning letter needs to state "failure to wear a seatbelt." And then that is all it is good for. This warning letter only comes back into play if you get caught without your seatbelt again. Bulkhead door would be a separate warning letter and not progressing the discipline on the seatbelt warning letter.

The caveat being that if you keep getting a bunch of warning letters for different things, seatbelt, bulkhead door, misdelivery, late NDA, etc...you're in deep :censored2:.

Each one is for a different infraction and cannot lead to progressive discipline on its own, but you see where this will lead to.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The company acknowledges the system is flawed... especially in our center where we've got records and the mechanic's testimony to back it up.

See above post.

Their "warning letter" won't stick without other corroborating evidence.
If you have the company admitting that their system is flawed and mechanics are backing it up, what is the company doing even issuing warning letters. The BA needs to step in and tell the company to not even waste their time, or paper.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Telematics is flawed....Orion is flawed...............allowances are flawed.......How will this company continue on with all the flaws? Seriously. Instead of running it in a systematic way, get the trucks out the door, deliver it as fast and safe as you can, they are chasing unicorns and butterflies. Until trucks are run robotically and your amazon pkgs hit you on the head from a drone dropping it, there will be flaws, human and electronic. . And then you will have system lock ups and no one will know how to drive the trucks. LOL

10 point

If you have the company admitting that their system is flawed and mechanics are backing it up, what is the company doing even issuing warning letters. The BA needs to step in and tell the company to not even waste their time, or paper.
We've never gotten a warning ltr for telematics "infractions".

Not once.
Never said we did.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We've never gotten a warning ltr for telematics "infractions".

Not once.
Never said we did.
My bad. You said their warning letter won't stick without other corroborating evidence. I took that as they have issued them.

Must be in a strong local that tells UPS like it is. As I said, the BA needs to step in and stop UPS from even issuing warning letters if they admit their system is flawed and backed up by the mechanics.

Good for your local.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
That whole "sitting on the seatbelt" trick really works. You wrap it around the seat frame a few times and click it in. Then, every time you stop you unclick it. You can even stop, open bulkhead, complete delivery and then unclick and reclick, and it doesn't (well, DIDN'T) show up on any reports.....not that I would ever do that ;)

10 point

My bad. You said their warning letter won't stick without other corroborating evidence. I took that as they have issued them.

Must be in a strong local that tells UPS like it is. As I said, the BA needs to step in and stop UPS from even issuing warning letters if they admit their system is flawed and backed up by the mechanics.

Good for your local.
Not your bad. The statement was vague.

Actually, our building is strong. The management has created that by themselves. You know, swim or drown.

We try to use every tool they throw to us and hopefully all the workers realize that it's their responsibility to do the right thing, every day, every time because people are watching.

10 point

That whole "sitting on the seatbelt" trick really works. You wrap it around the seat frame a few times and click it in. Then, every time you stop you unclick it. You can even stop, open bulkhead, complete delivery and then unclick and reclick, and it doesn't (well, DIDN'T) show up on any reports.....not that I would ever do that ;)
Sounds like more work than just wearing it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not your bad. The statement was vague.

Actually, our building is strong. The management has created that by themselves. You know, swim or drown.

We try to use every tool they throw to us and hopefully all the workers realize that it's their responsibility to do the right thing, every day, every time because people are watching.
I agree. I will bluff, read between the lines, use every trick in the book etc, to get a warning letter thrown out for an employee but I will not lie for anyone. That's where I draw the line.

10 point

I agree. I will bluff, read between the lines, use every trick in the book etc, to get a warning letter thrown out for an employee but I will not lie for anyone. That's where I draw the line.
Every employee should be a steward for at least six months. They'd clean up their methods and also appreciate what other stewards actually do for people without pay and with out thanks.

It takes a special person to be a steward that cares.