Warning Letter

I just got into the union 2 days ago. Yesterday, there was a lot of volume, and a lot of misloads between the entire belt. 4/6 people got warning letters. Mine was for "Failure to follow directions" I circle pals, and write the numbers on the boxes. I scan packages when I can. That is the instructions I have been taught.

The supervisor keeps harassing me to scan. When I get hit hard (basically the entire day because I load all Bulk stops some with 80+ packages) My first priority is to Make sure I can get them on the correct truck so I am not stacked out terribly. I don't misload any bulk, its normally when packages fall off the belt, or someone above me misses their work and that package ends up in my stack. I do scan when I can in a safe manner.

I don't know how I have not followed directions. There is no set amount of scans we need to have. Also, they claimed to have given me "verbals" about scanning. There was no shop stewart present. Then when I was given a warning letter, the guy who I think was a stewart ( I wasn't sure if he was or not because the only one I know of is a girl )

Should I file a grievance for the warning letter and harassment? Side Note: Supervisors also come chip in when I have 100 packages coming down the belt at once) That wouldn't make me accountable for misloads.

Today was absolute HELL. After 4 people got their warning letters, everyone stacked out to the point where you couldn't navigate one truck to the other. (Because they try to scan every package to reduce misloads) That is creating an unsafe work environment.

How would one go about this?

billerz

I would file against the warning letter for sure. A harassment grievance doesn't sound like it applies here, since they didn't just single you out. Ask your steward what articles to file under and to help you write it.

GenericUsername

Definitely file a grievance on it, warning letter or not. If a supervisor is loading cars anywhere on the belt, they are technically stealing time. This obviously isn't the way to go with every single supervisor in the world as I never would file on mine (I'm in a rough spot, he helps out a ton and doesn't give me any crap.) You should state in your grievance that you do get help daily from your supervisor/other employees and cannot be held accountable for a misload as you are not the only person loading the cars.

Mst3k

If they tell you to scan then scan. It's not you job to worry about the numbers. Follow directions. Its not your problem if it blows up and the trucks don't leave until noon. File if they work, scan every package, cover your own ass.

If they tell you to scan then scan. It's not you job to worry about the numbers. Follow directions. Its not your problem if it blows up and the trucks don't leave until noon. File if they work, scan every package, cover your own ass.

Its not that I don't scan at all, I scan when I can do so where there isn't a safety issue. There isn't a set amount of scans we need to have. I care about my work, and I do not want to :censored2: over a driver. If that's what it needs to come down to though, I will just give the drivers I load for a heads up and apologize for the "lack of effort" in future to come trucks as load quality was my main priority,but due to stiff prick management, that probably won't be a thing. Thanks for the replies though.

Nimnim

The Nim
Article 37 at the very least. "Fair days work for a fair days pay." If you're doing what they asked to the best of your ability that's the end of it.

When they discipline you they should be telling you exactly what you're doing wrong else you can't fix it. If they want you to scan everything, scan everything. If they tell you not to stack out, don't stack out. When things go wrong you just tell them you're doing exactly what they told you to do. Sure work sucks while you do this, but you just do what they say and it's so much harder for them to discipline you as you're working as instructed.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
File a grievance on the missload letter. File a grievance on the supervisor working. File a grievance if they are forcing you to work and it is a safety issue.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
this place will never ever change.

ask your boss to demonstrate the correct method EACH time they complain. they'll leave you alone after they have to do that a couple times. no matter how fast you go it will never be good enough. just ask kenmore.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

ask your boss to demonstrate the correct method EACH time they complain. they'll leave you alone after they have to do that a couple times. no matter how fast you go it will never be good enough. just ask kenmore.
You still dancin?
Gonna be in Reno this summer
Gonna stop by and check you out

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

Ill show you every method and document it. That way when you want to be a smart ass and get a warning letter for failure to work as directed you have no excuse. So thanks for the help.

GameCockFan

Ill show you every method and document it. That way when you want to be a smart ass and get a warning letter for failure to work as directed you have no excuse. So thanks for the help.
Then I'll follow every method and :censored2: you with a smile on my face. Do you think it's easier to replace one sup, or everyone on the sort? If you can't get people to work for you, you're useless

raceanoncr

Of course file on it. In this case, where it is a disciplinary letter, the burden of proof is on THEM to PROVE the reason for the discipline. Again, just like a court case, which is really is, THEY made the accusation, THEY must prove it.

GenericUsername

If you're that type of sup then I'd purposely only handle one package at a time, regardless of size and state that I cannot properly grasp more than 1 package at a time at the corners. Your comeback will be that it's a small package and that I can carry more than one on top of the other. I'll come back with 'That may be true, but if the top package slides off while I'm walking, it becomes a trip hazard. I cannot work under unsafe conditions so I'll be filing a grievance under article 37 every day until you move me off the belt."

Enjoy me stacking out every single day and getting other people to do my work for me.

Edit: My PT & FT Sups don't mess with me any more. I've had shouting matches and shut down the entire belt for multiple reasons for long periods of time due to them being complete D*s to me. Nothing they can do as if they try to turn the belt on they would have to violate safety.

El Correcto

god is dead
Sounds like they just had to react to shake people and it worked. Here we protest warning letters. Then a week later you find your protest warning in the toilette paper dispenser with the 9.5 grievances.

If you're that type of sup then I'd purposely only handle one package at a time, regardless of size and state that I cannot properly grasp more than 1 package at a time at the corners. Your comeback will be that it's a small package and that I can carry more than one on top of the other. I'll come back with 'That may be true, but if the top package slides off while I'm walking, it becomes a trip hazard. I cannot work under unsafe conditions so I'll be filing a grievance under article 37 every day until you move me off the belt."

Enjoy me stacking out every single day and getting other people to do my work for me.

Edit: My PT & FT Sups don't mess with me any more. I've had shouting matches and shut down the entire belt for multiple reasons for long periods of time due to them being complete D*s to me. Nothing they can do as if they try to turn the belt on they would have to violate safety.

Bravo my friend. I don't like to get into pissing matches. I just want to be respected. They are moving this supervisor off the belt (and to small sort lol ;) ) due to the harassment he induces on everyone. He is being replaced with someone who is actually nice and will let you do your thing.