Washington Redskins change their name

tourists24

The Redskin name is so bad that only four players and the head coach were Native American on the team the first year as the Redskins lol

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My wife is half Native American. She doesn't seem to be upset with the Atlanta Braves, except the fact they lost to the Dodgers in the playoffs.

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Costas is a Liberal idiot. I watch sports to escape from political nonsense--not to be preached to at halftime.:angry:

So you call a person an idiot for standing up to a racial slur? But if I called you and idiot ( and i say "IF") you dont like it?

Lets be clear on the subject.

The word REDSKIN has no other conotation to it other than a racial slur. Now, whether or not it has been used for years is NOT the point. The argument is that the word has no HONOR value to the native american indians of any tribe. It neither is a respectful term in todays america.

We have either evolved from the racial discord that "WHITE" america created with slavery, or we are still stuck in the 1800's.

Would any of you support the following teams ( and as a disclosure, these are ONLY for conversation sake )

1) Anaheim Gooks
2) East LA Beaners
3) Michigan Towel Heads
4) Oregon Japs
5) Montana Chinks
6) Alabama N-GG-ers
7) Washington Redskins

No matter what racially intended word we use, they describe a people of color negatively. Of the 7 examples I presented, each one contains a word that is neither honorable or reflective of a race of people allthough, each and EVERY ONE of you knows exactly what race of persons is reflected in these horrible terms.

There is NO indian tribe called the "REDSKINS". You couldnt walk up to any native american indian in this country and call them a Redskin without getting punched in the mouth.

The term by todays standards is rude and offensive. The problem is, WHITE america still isnt ready to take responsibility for creating the hostility between races in this country and feel its ok to keep offending people of color.

And, for those inclined to attempt to compare the word "REDSKIN" to teams like:

1) Atlanta Braves
2) Kansas City Chiefs
3) Florida Seminoles
4) Chicago Blackhawks
5) Cleveland Indians
6) Atlanta Hawks -formerly Tri city Blackhawks
7) Golden State Warriors - who no longer use any indian logos
8) Portland Winterhawks

Etc etc etc....

These are all actual names of tribes, OR "HONORABLE" terms of a respectful nature towards the Native American Indians.

Now, if any of you can find a tribe called the REDSKINS who's faces are exaggerated red as in the LOGO of the washington Redskins, then present it.

If any of you feel you could reasonably walk up to an Native American Indian and call them a REDSKIN, the present yourself.

Its a matter of raising awareness to the insensitivity of the name. WHY NOW? well, thats easy.

MEDIA coverage and social media is helping to spread the word unlike ever before.

In todays world, white people are offended when they hear someone use the N-word in a conversation, even though for 200 years in this country white people used it in everyday language. It took time to raise awareness to the rudeness of the term and it no longer is a standard for anyone.

Thats how the native american feels about the term Redskins. They want the american public to also understand the rudeness of the term.

If you dont understand how racially motivated the term is and you feel its ok to keep on using it, well, you know you have to be somewhat of a racist.

Of the 7 "fake" team names I listed, those inclined to accept the term Redskins as ok, would probably accept those as well and sleep well at night.

TOS.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
So how often have you walked up to any native american indian in this country and call them a Redskin without getting punched in the mouth ?

So you call a person an idiot for standing up to a racial slur? But if I called you and idiot ( and i say "IF") you dont like it?

Lets be clear on the subject.

The word REDSKIN has no other conotation to it other than a racial slur. Now, whether or not it has been used for years is NOT the point. The argument is that the word has no HONOR value to the native american indians of any tribe. It neither is a respectful term in todays america.

We have either evolved from the racial discord that "WHITE" america created with slavery, or we are still stuck in the 1800's.

Would any of you support the following teams ( and as a disclosure, these are ONLY for conversation sake )

1) Anaheim Gooks
2) East LA Beaners
3) Michigan Towel Heads
4) Oregon Japs
5) Montana Chinks
6) Alabama N-GG-ers
7) Washington Redskins

No matter what racially intended word we use, they describe a people of color negatively. Of the 7 examples I presented, each one contains a word that is neither honorable or reflective of a race of people allthough, each and EVERY ONE of you knows exactly what race of persons is reflected in these horrible terms.

There is NO indian tribe called the "REDSKINS". You couldnt walk up to any native american indian in this country and call them a Redskin without getting punched in the mouth.

The term by todays standards is rude and offensive. The problem is, WHITE america still isnt ready to take responsibility for creating the hostility between races in this country and feel its ok to keep offending people of color.

And, for those inclined to attempt to compare the word "REDSKIN" to teams like:

1) Atlanta Braves
2) Kansas City Chiefs
3) Florida Seminoles
4) Chicago Blackhawks
5) Cleveland Indians
6) Atlanta Hawks -formerly Tri city Blackhawks
7) Golden State Warriors - who no longer use any indian logos
8) Portland Winterhawks

Etc etc etc....

These are all actual names of tribes, OR "HONORABLE" terms of a respectful nature towards the Native American Indians.

Now, if any of you can find a tribe called the REDSKINS who's faces are exaggerated red as in the LOGO of the washington Redskins, then present it.

If any of you feel you could reasonably walk up to an Native American Indian and call them a REDSKIN, the present yourself.

Its a matter of raising awareness to the insensitivity of the name. WHY NOW? well, thats easy.

MEDIA coverage and social media is helping to spread the word unlike ever before.

In todays world, white people are offended when they hear someone use the N-word in a conversation, even though for 200 years in this country white people used it in everyday language. It took time to raise awareness to the rudeness of the term and it no longer is a standard for anyone.

Thats how the native american feels about the term Redskins. They want the american public to also understand the rudeness of the term.

If you dont understand how racially motivated the term is and you feel its ok to keep on using it, well, you know you have to be somewhat of a racist.

Of the 7 "fake" team names I listed, those inclined to accept the term Redskins as ok, would probably accept those as well and sleep well at night.

TOS.

I have Native American blood and have no problem with the name Redskins. We use it as a term of endearment much like our black brothers as we add an "A" to make it Redskinna.

If you really are concerned for us please feel free to pack up and return to your native country and give us back ours.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have Native American blood and have no problem with the name Redskins. We use it as a term of endearment much like our black brothers as we add an "A" to make it Redskinna.

I am more than 1/16th myself.
Never meant anything to me and none of all the other "races" that make up my DNA.
We're all just people here for a hundred years or so.

If you want to talk offensive let's talk any group that goes by (..........)-American. Where you born there and then migrated? Then yes, you're (........)-American. If you were born here then you're an American. If you'd like to say American of (.........) descent then feel free.

moreluck

golden ticket member
That's B.S. you can't even say 'Indians' today......you have to say Native Americans (I never do). So, Cleveland is just as screwed up as Washington according to political correctness. Redskins is a fine name.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

If you really are concerned for us please feel free to pack up and return to your native country and give us back ours.

I am native american indian and hispanic. You are full of Cra... well , you know.

TOS