Watching Supervisors work

chester farmer

perhaps we have a problem of man power but it is not because they arent trying. they run 8 people a week thru training and yet we are understaffed. I think almost more quit then they hire. So how is a sup working taking jobs when they cant fill them fast enough.

jentrbo

I'm not sure how it is in your building but in ours there is normally about 20 people or so a week who come in for a building tour and info session. Now it's true I don't know what these candadites stories are but out of all these people there is not one or two that are hirable? There is a freeze on hiring now (so I hear) in our building at least. Why did they put this freeze on hiring if it's obvious we need workers. I guess they can just have part time sups fill in until they lift this freeze. I know all this has to do with numbers, etc. This is just what my opinion is of what is going on in my building.

trickpony1

Hello all. I stumbled upon this site, registered, and here I am! I am a clerk at a UPS in FL. I've been working for UPS for several years. I am also a student.
The title of this particular thread caught my eye as I am a witness to supervisors working ALL THE TIME!! The thing is, yes I can file a grievance against them but is it not a double edged sword? I file the grievance, then I'm looked at negatively for the remainder of my employment with UPS. There are guys that file them often but they are package car drivers and seem to be able to get away with ANYTHING! I know it's wrong that the part time sups are doing hourly work and that this is taking away from union jobs but what can I do? Anyway, I'm looking forward to contributing more to this site. :happy2:

".....but what can I do?"
You can write down names, dates and times of the PT supes doing union work, as well as any other union witnesses, and have your steward or BA file on behalf of the worker who should be doing the work but isn't.

Welcome to BrownCafe (I'm not a moderator or anything cool like that, I'm just a feeder driver).

We welcome your comments!

tieguy

Banned
Am I a union goon? I file grievances when a supe loads instead of calling in another preloader. [quote]

If you answer yes to any of these questions:

Are you filing grievances to be vindictive?

Are you filing grievances to make up for some physical or mental shortcoming?

Do you constantly coach fellow employees on how to screw the company?

Do you live in a world where everyone else is dishonest and you are the only one with a clean soul?

Do you believe you have bad working relationships with management because everyone else is a suck up.

Do you constantly plot on new ways to attack the company and the boss. Does this plotting take up all your free time?

Do you do constantly do the above things but deny doing them when challenged on the brown cafe?

If you answer yes to these questions then you may be a goon.

Ptrunner

Are you a liar, cheat, unethical, no moral value person if you do one of the following?

1. Make employees work 12hours when all you have to do is reloop the area to even out the work or also add another driver.

2. Say safety is the most important aspect of the job but then ask you have to deliver or load these packages faster.

3. Tell an employee to go to a fake doctors office and then pay a doctor to tell the employee theres nothing wrong with you, just keep working itll go away.

4. Tell people to fix their areas or truck up before work but not get paid for it.

5. Agreeing to a contract but break it on a daily basis.

6. Work part-time supervisors to deliver packages that didn't make it out in time because the sort is too darn short thus part-time supervisor is on OT but doesnt get paid for it. And then tell them when you get done, great job for the company.

7. Turn your head and walk away when theres egress problems because you dont want to abide by federal and state safety policies.

8. Treat pregnant women and people with disabilities different from people injured on the job. Instead of giving work comp people 30 days you extend their TAW to 60 or 90 days. But under federal law its illegal to do that.

9. Tell an employee theres no help you gotta get the work done when you send drivers or unloaders or preloaders home.

10. In a grievance meeting saying there were no supervisors working but when 9 other witnesses see it you still deny the fact they were working.

If you do one of these things, youre not a greedy, selfish, unethical human being that is rotting this company. Yeah it might look good on paper short term but long term sooner or later somethings going to give. The media is going to catch on and UPS is going to have a black eye.

I want UPS to be successful, their my employer, but when this crap keeps going on, Im not going to be a slave to them, they're federal and state laws that were created for labor. Why can't UPS follow them.

tieguy

Banned
Are you a liar, cheat, unethical, no moral value person if you do one of the following?

1. Make employees work 12hours when all you have to do is reloop the area to even out the work or also add another driver.

2. Say safety is the most important aspect of the job but then ask you have to deliver or load these packages faster.

3. Tell an employee to go to a fake doctors office and then pay a doctor to tell the employee theres nothing wrong with you, just keep working itll go away.

4. Tell people to fix their areas or truck up before work but not get paid for it.

6. Work part-time supervisors to deliver packages that didn't make it out in time because the sort is too darn short thus part-time supervisor is on OT but doesnt get paid for it. And then tell them when you get done, great job for the company.

7. Turn your head and walk away when theres egress problems because you dont want to abide by federal and state safety policies.

8. Treat pregnant women and people with disabilities different from people injured on the job. Instead of giving work comp people 30 days you extend their TAW to 60 or 90 days. But under federal law its illegal to do that.

9. Tell an employee theres no help you gotta get the work done when you send drivers or unloaders or preloaders home.

10. In a grievance meeting saying there were no supervisors working but when 9 other witnesses see it you still deny the fact they were working.

If you do one of these things, youre not a greedy, selfish, unethical human being that is rotting this company. Yeah it might look good on paper short term but long term sooner or later somethings going to give. The media is going to catch on and UPS is going to have a black eye.

I'll bow to your description. I think you did a much better job of capturing the mindset of the union goon then I ever could. Almost scarey to think there are people running around that think this way.

Griff

Am I a union goon? I file grievances when a supe loads instead of calling in another preloader. [quote]

If you answer yes to any of these questions:

Are you filing grievances to be vindictive?

Are you filing grievances to make up for some physical or mental shortcoming?

Do you constantly coach fellow employees on how to screw the company?

Do you live in a world where everyone else is dishonest and you are the only one with a clean soul?

Do you believe you have bad working relationships with management because everyone else is a suck up.

Do you constantly plot on new ways to attack the company and the boss. Does this plotting take up all your free time?

Do you do constantly do the above things but deny doing them when challenged on the brown cafe?

If you answer yes to these questions then you may be a goon.

Dear lieguy,

When are you going to get transfered to my building so I can boss you around, boss?

Love,
Griff

RFDUpsSup

RFD Hub OUtbound Sup.
Having just been transferred out of an administrative position (Radio Room GOODBYE) to an operational position, I can assure you that "Someone Called In" is definitely not just an excuse.

Granted, the building I work at is one of the larger air facilities in the company, but we averaged 5% call ins a night, and thats on a good night. We've had as much as 40% when the weather is poor.

And to be fair, not all hourly employees get bitchy when you help them. I run a bare bones belt with almost everyone doing either 2destinations or 2-300% destinations. They welcome the help when they get backed up. Guess it pays to have dedicated, mature employees who realize the need for management to occasionally throw in and help.

browntown2

For all you teamsters who preach that going just a bit above and beyond i.e. Gettting a Sales Lead is WAY TOO MUCH, then let this fact soak in after we all have no retirement!!!! 491 less teamster driving jobs this year compared to last in one state alone. SALES LEADS ANYONE!!!!!

For all you teamsters who preach that going just a bit above and beyond i.e. Gettting a Sales Lead is WAY TOO MUCH, then let this fact soak in after we all have no retirement!!!! 491 less teamster driving jobs this year compared to last in one state alone. SALES LEADS ANYONE!!!!!
Is the reason for 491 less driving positions because of a drop in volume? Or is it because , in their infinite wisdom, UPS has decided that with Pas/Edd the number of drivers working are not needed? Are the remaining drivers working more, less or about the same amount of hours per day compared to last year? I'm not asking for your opinion, I'm asking for provable facts.

W

westsideworma

Originally Posted by altstewie

I'll bow to your description. I think you did a much better job of capturing the mindset of the union goon then I ever could. Almost scarey to think there are people running around that think this way.

tie most of the stuff in his list happens at my center every other day, some of it everyday. I don't think some of his points are so unfounded. Save for the ones about doctors and pregnant women I've seen first hand or heard from trusted people that all of the other points have indeed happened here.

tieguy

Banned
Originally Posted by altstewie

tie most of the stuff in his list happens at my center every other day, some of it everyday. I don't think some of his points are so unfounded. Save for the ones about doctors and pregnant women I've seen first hand or heard from trusted people that all of the other points have indeed happened here.

Most of these qualities could be found in any walk of life anywhere. Heaven forbid you might even find them down at the old union hall. Go to church? Many people down there with the light of jesus on sunday have the devils glint on monday.

I guess I'm confused. Why join the managemet ranks if you really believe this way?

Griff

Most of these qualities could be found in any walk of life anywhere. Heaven forbid you might even find them down at the old union hall. Go to church? Many people down there with the light of jesus on sunday have the devils glint on monday.

I guess I'm confused. Why join the managemet ranks if you really believe this way?

I agree westwide, how dare you actually admit the company has done dirt. We would of never accepted your letter of intent if we knew you were actually going to be truthful and honest! How dare you.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Granted, the building I work at is one of the larger air facilities in the company, but we averaged 5% call ins a night, and thats on a good night. We've had as much as 40% when the weather is poor.

This I can believe. And being one of the reliable employees, I know how friend*%ked up those nights are.

And to be fair, not all hourly employees get bitchy when you help them. I run a bare bones belt with almost everyone doing either 2destinations or 2-300% destinations. They welcome the help when they get backed up. Guess it pays to have dedicated, mature employees who realize the need for management to occasionally throw in and help.

True about not all employee's minding the help. I worked in a hub that had some attendance issues. Not horrible attendance issues but some. When things got backed up, yeah, the supes would step in and help. I'm talking about part-time and full-time supes here. I heard of only a handful of supervisor working grievances and those were more myth than anything else. In the last 18 months or so, I've heard--secone hand from people I know still working there--about supervisor working grievances. And ya know who filed those? Yup....a 'goon.' A steward that simply wouldn't give an inch or a little leeway. The hourlies that saw it go down told the part-time supervisor they thought it B.S. and told him they wouldn't refuse his offer of help. He hasn't been grieved by anyone BUT that 'goon.' And these 'goons' give union employees a bad name IMHO.

I agree westwide, how dare you actually admit the company has done dirt. We would of never accepted your letter of intent if we knew you were actually going to be truthful and honest! How dare you.

I don't agree with you, Griff. There are management that have a conscience. They become rarer and rarer every year but they still exist. Unfortunately, I'll grant he probably won't go much further than he already has but there is something else to keep in mind. If you haven't seen Behind Enemy Lines, I suggest you watch it. At the end, a short 'post-script' flashes up about the Admiral played by Gene Hackman. Apparently, he was relieved of his command and ordered to a desk job at the Pentagon. Instead, he retired with the respect and gratitude of the men and women serving under him. Westside is the manager your company needs more of. Declining morale = declining quality of service = loss of customers. Not good. -Rocky

tieguy

Banned

At least I don't have to worry about westside dreaming about castrating anyone:happy-very:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Question: let's reverse the tables. if all hourlies to fall into the catagory of "act of God" if there's a large snowstorm? If the supervisors can work according to the contract in cases of "act of God"; heck, let 'em do the work and I'm banging out every weather slowdown. ;)

W

westsideworma

Tie I don't do these things personally, I have just witnessed them both as an hourly and as management. I don't like it but what can I do to stop it besides not commit these acts myself? I like this company but to say it never bends the rules would be a farce, all companies do, why should we believe we're any different. However, just because everyone does it, that doesn't make it right.

I just think if BOTH sides of the fence agreed to the contract then we should both follow it. The contract is stretched by BOTH sides in different ways, I understand that. However those people you call goons (and I know some as well) that manipulate or over-interpret the contract in their favor, do you really believe we're in the right if we do the exact same thing back to them?

I don't know if the way I handle things or not has anything to do with it, but I have the respect of my people. Many of them personally call to apologize when missing a day (I've told them to knock it off as it isn't necessary). I'm not a hardass, but I'm not doormat either. I'm fair and I don't break the national agreement unless ordered to (I too have to work as directed). As a result, I don't get grieved in the rare case that I do need to help out. I only do so because the morale of my team suffers when they're overworked and no one can send help. I do believe someone with a 1200 piece pick starting at 4:30 constitutes overworked...I can't wrap such a pick in 4 hours...I don't expect them to either, especially not when 60% of their work comes in a load that hits late daily.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingOFchester

Bottom line.......If the "Goons" and the "bosses" follow the contract, THAT WE HAVE ALL AGREED TO, there would be no problems. Nothing wrong with a union employee filing for anything that breaks the contract, just as there is NOTHING wrong with UPS disciplining, or firing for something that is against the rules of UPS. PERIOD. End of story. Let union workers do the union jobs.....let management discipline as necessary. Why can't we all just get along???? and I wonder why my kids can't go a week without arguing!!

Remember.....Teamsters have helped build UPS since before 1920!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1