"We are the union"

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Everybody is hoping for positive changes.
DE128958-876A-451A-839E-DB43EDEDB03F.jpeg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What I'm reading in this thread is that "we are the union", but our opinion as individuals doesn't matter. Which is it?

That if you want to make a change you should run for office, but the rank and file are the ones who are supposed to make things happen. Which is it?

There seems to be a distinct misapprehension of organizational structure going on here.

What'dyabringmetoday???

What I'm reading in this thread is that "we are the union", but our opinion as individuals doesn't matter. Which is it?

That if you want to make a change you should run for office, but the rank and file are the ones who are supposed to make things happen. Which is it?

There seems to be a distinct misapprehension of organizational structure going on here.

No opinions allowed- must run for office. Can't hold union accountable. Should have named this Armchair Quarterback Cafe. Personally, I enjoy getting the "in-crowd" upset.

Thebrownblob

These replies were clearly and simply To one person who didn’t like the way certain people were doing things. Simply saying there’s a problem, and never having a solution is not an opinion that matters, it’s someone who just wants to tear down. In the past organizations such as TDU have been fine examples of rock throws. Very good at pointing out problems never good at having solutions only dividing. Hopefully moving forward that has changed. Certainly “we are the union”, but just like any organization someone is going to be steering the ship. If you feel the captain of the ship is not steering it appropriately support someone who will, or do it yourself. Most won’t because they only want to throw rocks and have no intention of helping build things up, only tear things down. There’s really no organization like your local union that you could have influence on at a grassroots level. It’s actually more difficult for your elected local officials to connect with people. Most of them don’t work side-by-side with you anymore daily. If they’re doing a poor job it should not be too hard to form or support a grassroots group to take over. Or perhaps they’re doing a good job, and most know it?

Thebrownblob

No opinions allowed- must run for office. Can't hold union accountable. Should have named this Armchair Quarterback Cafe. Personally, I enjoy getting the "in-crowd" upset.
You do hold them accountable when you vote, try to keep up. Most local union elections probably have 20 to 25% of the people vote, if they’re lucky. Are you in the 25% or the 75% I have my suspicions….😂

Thebrownblob

I wish we got 20% or 25%. I believe our last election was 13%.
Ouch, razor thin margins like that shouldn’t be hard for members to call the president of their local to talk to a BA if a member feels they’re not doing their job. Most seem to forget your elected leaders are really just blue-collar workers just like the rest of us. If they’re not doing their jobs they can be sent back to those jobs pretty easily.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Ouch, razor thin margins like that shouldn’t be hard for members to call the president of their local to talk to a BA if a member feels they’re not doing their job. Most seem to forget your elected leaders are really just blue-collar workers just like the rest of us. If they’re not doing their jobs they can be sent back to those jobs pretty easily.
Fat cats. Like @542thruNthru 🤣

542thruNthru

Yep, and some can't even go back to their previous job like UPSers can. So they really don't want to lose their jobs.

Thebrownblob

Yep, and some can't even go back to their previous job like UPSers can. So they really don't want to lose their jobs.
And it’s been my experience the majority of people elected to office, or who take an appointment full time genuinely want to help people and do a good job. The ones that don’t, or do it for money or to feel like a big shot, burn out very quick. You mostly have to deal with problems, or really bad situations, and 90% of the time you’re dealing with The same 10% of the people.

542thruNthru

And it’s been my experience the majority of people elected to office, or who take an appointment full time genuinely want to help people and do a good job. The ones that don’t, or do it for money or to feel like a big shot, burn out very quick. You mostly have to deal with problems, or really bad situations, and 90% of the time you’re dealing with The same 10% of the people.
I can't speak for all locals. I'm sure there're some bad ones out there or some that just do the bare minimum. The point is though if members are not calling them out and trying to do something then they can't really complain.

Definition of insanity:
Doing the same thing and expecting a different result.