We want your AR

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Another point to consider: the population of law enforcement and military personnel likely has a much higher private gun ownership rate than the general population. They have as much a vested interest in maintaining the second amendment as anyone else.

I understand the mistrust of "authority", I have a healthy distrust for those who abuse authority myself.
But I think the generalized anti-cop/military sentiment is not entirely warranted.
They are the tools of the "authority" of which you speak ... they blindly obey orders and laws.
Many even think they are doing good for society.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They are the tools of the "authority" of which you speak ... they blindly obey orders and laws.
Many even think they are doing good for society.

I agree that some portion do and would blindly obey orders. I don't, however, think that is a statement that can be generalized to all military and law enforcement in every context. The ones I know and have served with, by and large, are huge gun enthusiasts, and have a deep respect fot the second amendment, and understand its importance. I know some who would even directly oppose rounding up guns even if the second amendment were ever, somehow, repealed.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I agree that some portion do and would blindly obey orders. I don't, however, think that is a statement that can be generalized to all military and law enforcement in every context. The ones I know and have served with, by and large, are huge gun enthusiasts, and have a deep respect fot the second amendment, and understand its importance. I know some who would even directly oppose rounding up guns even if the second amendment were ever, somehow, repealed.
I hope you are right ... I shy away from Government Authority figures.
The few times I have been exposed to them, they were callous and their actions were not appropriate to the conditions.
I, personally, have never had any problems except once when I did (DUI 1983) and they were considerate and did me right.
Another time, at a bonfire, there was this dude who called 911 because he took too much LSD and was considering suicide. The home owner talked to the policeman and said we would watch him and support him until he came down. I'm guessing she did not say he was on too much LSD.

A couple dozen other times, they were the 'BIG MAN' and authoritarian buttholes for no real reason.

El Correcto

god is dead
The few times I have been exposed to them, they were callous and their actions were not appropriate to the conditions.
I, personally, have never had any problems except once when I did (DUI 1983) and they were considerate and did me right.
Another time, at a bonfire, there was this dude who called 911 because he took too much LSD and was considering suicide. The home owner talked to the policeman and said we would watch him and support him until he came down. I'm guessing she did not say he was on too much LSD.

A couple dozen other times, they were the 'BIG MAN' and authoritarian buttholes for no real reason.
What an inconsiderate prick. I think I’d rather just die from the overdose than call the cops where there is assumably a large amount of illicit narcotics at my friends home.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

I absolutely believe there are a lot of cops who go into that field simply to power trip. And the military is chock full of little dictator wannabes. Any position of power will always attract sociopaths. There will be plenty willing to trample over the rights of those they swore to protect, I have no doubt about that. But sometimes even some of the a-holes do what's right when the stakes are high enough.

El Correcto

god is dead
LMFAO!!!!

7B5F4336-6EAA-4FCC-95A7-FD69B1E633DC.jpeg

Oh wow this organization sounds like something I could get behind, I totally agree with this.
C6E8D245-F390-4EF2-9DF1-A483CD150AD1.jpeg

Oh wait never mind, just another fear mongering progressive organization.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I think there are enough law enforcement and military members who would refuse orders to confiscate guns (on a massive scale) that the political ruling class would lose their nerve and back track real quick.
have you ever been in the military?

not only would they follow orders, but they probably wouldn’t even be involved anyways

it would be the police over a decade or two, starting with a buyback, amnesty, then slowly going through snitches and 4473’s

there would be no refusal, the police would do exactly what they did in every other tyrannical society throughout history: follow orders

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
have you ever been in the military?

not only would they follow orders, but they probably wouldn’t even be involved anyways

it would be the police over a decade or two, starting with a buyback, amnesty, then slowly going through snitches and 4473’s

there would be no refusal, the police would do exactly what they did in every other tyrannical society throughout history: follow orders

If you read my follow up posts, you will see that I already addressed all of this. Your distrust of authority doesn't bother me a bit. I encourage it. Just felt I would share my perspective on the matter (I was in the military, and I have worked around law enforcement quite a bit). I'm not saying it can't, or won't happen, I simply believe there would be more resistance from either law enforcement or the military than you guys give them credit for. I agree that if it does happen, it will be slowly, over time, but I repeat myself.

Ask @scooby0048 about his experience with the attitude of police towards the second amendment. He will have better insight on that side of things.