Weakness at local 804

enzo

The car washers at at the Mount Vernon building do customer pick ups everyday.
They make pick ups in vans and in package cars. We do not have combination car
wash jobs at Local 804. This is a clear violation of seniority and job classification.
The union has been given all the details long ago. As of today they have turned
a blind eye to the situation. Is it any wonder that management shows us no respect?

enzo

Past practice at local 804 is that no one works outside their job classification.
The car washers are full time. There are more senior men in the building
​in the feeder classification that could do the pick ups.

enzo

The current 804 leadership refuses to address the problem. Whats next? Forcing a driver to be a porter for a week with no overtime.

1080Driver

I work in the MV building and this is nothing new; car washers have been doing pu's for easily 15 years (way before the current slate took over)

enzo

Having 25 years seniority does not give them the right to violate the contract.They are making deals with management.
They are in bed with the same people who are walking their union brothers off the job!If you had strong shop stewards and delegates they would put an end to this clear contract violation.This extra work could be a new union job for someone.A new job means more money in our funds for everyone.Job classifications are an important part of our contract. Whats next,forcing drivers to do porter work??1080 driver you need to step up to the plate and force your shop stewards and delegates to enforce our hard fought for contract.local 804 was once a strong and proud union.Stop the deal makers and the scabs

1080Driver

I'm not defending the current slate, just saying that this has been happening for a long time, easily since Howie was president, maybe since the Ron days

804brown

I'm not defending the current slate, just saying that this has been happening for a long time, easily since Howie was president, maybe since the Ron days

Similar thing was going on in manhattan south building yeara ago. Car washers were doing airport runs to newark , etc. Not sure if it still goes on.

Carwasherman

There is not one car washer in bed with management ! if you don't know the facts shut the **** up!! The drivers are the ones that cant fit the pick ups in there trucks ! who would you rather have ? a 804 member or a sup? if a sup does it the driver says nothing! no grievance at all !! for fear of losing his job!! we just move trucks to the building after the driver finished. they just want to get off the road and get home!! if you want to help them , by all mean do so! I can sit in the cage and get paid for doing nothing!!or as little as possible ! if not send MARTY to help them since he want the over time!! no sweat off my back!! this has been going on way before I became a car washer ! the old 8094 knew carwashers helped driver too! so get your facts right !! I seems you haven't been a package car driver for some time! these guys are swamped and work 12 hour days!! you wouldn't make it today if you were a driver ! these guys go through hell ! and where are you?? probably sleeping on the upper level at meadow! give me a break!!

Ibt804Hammer

Was happening out east and the old board put an end to it. Classifications are there for a reason. You don't see package or feeder drivers popping out of classification doing cad washing work. If anything, they are taking overtime and other advancement in the ranks. Should not be happening.

There is not one car washer in bed with management ! if you don't know the facts shut the **** up!! The drivers are the ones that cant fit the pick ups in there trucks ! who would you rather have ? a 804 member or a sup? if a sup does it the driver says nothing! no grievance at all !! for fear of losing his job!! we just move trucks to the building after the driver finished. they just want to get off the road and get home!! if you want to help them , by all mean do so! I can sit in the cage and get paid for doing nothing!!or as little as possible ! if not send MARTY to help them since he want the over time!! no sweat off my back!! this has been going on way before I became a car washer ! the old 8094 knew carwashers helped driver too! so get your facts right !! I seems you haven't been a package car driver for some time! these guys are swamped and work 12 hour days!! you wouldn't make it today if you were a driver ! these guys go through hell ! and where are you?? probably sleeping on the upper level at meadow! give me a break!!
I think the reason is there is always driver work being taken away. If the company would hire more drivers they would not have to use car washers, but you are right. The drivers need to file and not care if you guys are doing it.
​ So the the drivers are the problem. The union can only do so much if the members don't do what needs to be done in this situation. And that is file.

Inthegame

I think the reason is there is always driver work being taken away. If the company would hire more drivers they would not have to use car washers, but you are right. The drivers need to file and not care if you guys are doing it.
​ So the the drivers are the problem. The union can only do so much if the members don't do what needs to be done in this situation. And that is file.
Nice post Navy...I think you're catching on...

enzo

the car washers are doing the pick ups because they have a deal with management! The car washers are allowed to
make overtime if they do any thing management tells them to do. They are not doing it to help the drivers. They cut a deal to violate the contract for overtime. They also helped break up a drivers route on many days. The car washer did his pick ups and he was forced to do another route. How is that helping the package driver get home early? The feeder drivers filed a grievance and both the feeder business agent and package business agent have been given the information. Another 804 board member was also given all information. So far nothing has been done.