Weasel Worship

OUMick

That's not even comparing spples to apples.

I think you've conviently forgetting that the hourly help has made the company very sucessful while Memphis chooses to sweep that fact under the rug. That said then yes employees are justified to ask for better wages whether you like it or not.

They can ask but why should Fedex pay it? They don't have to do they? Unfortunately the stock holders demand a certain numbers to be hit. It may suck but that's the way working for a publicly traded company. If you don't like it, leave.

OUMick

That's not even comparing spples to apples.

I think you've conviently forgetting that the hourly help has made the company very sucessful while Memphis chooses to sweep that fact under the rug. That said then yes employees are justified to ask for better wages whether you like it or not.

Ok. Have you ever paid an extra 10% on your taxes to the government?

vantexan

They can ask but why should Fedex pay it? They don't have to do they? Unfortunately the stock holders demand a certain numbers to be hit. It may suck but that's the way working for a publicly traded company. If you don't like it, leave.
Did Fred get kicked out when the stock was below $30 a share? Nope. He's the single biggest stockholder afterall. The big funds tell him pay better dividends and we'll swoop in when dividends are paid and buy lots of stock. The resultant demand drives up the price and Fred&Co exercise their options. They all make out well but are doing it on our backs. Tell me something, do you think employees who've dedicated most of their working lives to a company have no right to complain?

OUMick

Thanks for the trick question and like I said, you're not even comparing apples to apples. Besides I'm not the IRS's employer.

OK. Tell my why Fedex should pay more for drivers when they can fill the spots at the present pay scale. Please don't tell me it's because they make money. That's why they are in business.

OUMick

Did Fred get kicked out when the stock was below $30 a share? Nope. He's the single biggest stockholder afterall. The big funds tell him pay better dividends and we'll swoop in when dividends are paid and buy lots of stock. The resultant demand drives up the price and Fred&Co exercise their options. They all make out well but are doing it on our backs. Tell me something, do you think employees who've dedicated most of their working lives to a company have no right to complain?

I'm saying don't complain. If it's so bad leave. If you can't find anything else, it must not be too damn bad. See how much is on your backs without the corporate structure organizing the business.

vantexan

I'm saying don't complain. If it's so bad leave. If you can't find anything else, it must not be too damn bad. See how much is on your backs without the corporate structure organizing the business.
I think there's a FedEx puppet master pulling your strings. I'm sure they'd like to see us stop complaining.

OUMick

I think there's a FedEx puppet master pulling your strings. I'm sure they'd like to see us stop complaining.

I hate to burst your bubble. I can promise you they don't care if you complain or not. They haven't been calling you asking if everything is ok have they?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
OK. Tell my why Fedex should pay more for drivers when they can fill the spots at the present pay scale. Please don't tell me it's because they make money. That's why they are in business.
Then why is the first thing a union would do about wages is look at a companies profit margins?

According to you, people don't deserve decent wages which has me convinced that you're either a slug from the Memphis ivory towers or a managent prick that's hoplessly besotted with Fred S.

Done here.

vantexan

The turnover rate has gotten so high that FedEx has taken to bribing people to stay through Christmas, and has just announced a new 10 year plan to top out. They get people in with lots of propaganda, but the mostly 20 something's soon realize they're expected to hump like crazy with little to show for it. Fedex thought they could get away with that forever but now it's biting them. That's not complaining, that's reality.

OUMick

The turnover rate has gotten so high that FedEx has taken to bribing people to stay through Christmas, and has just announced a new 10 year plan to top out. They get people in with lots of propaganda, but the mostly 20 something's soon realize they're expected to hump like crazy with little to show for it. Fedex thought they could get away with that forever but now it's biting them. That's not complaining, that's reality.

So they will pay up if they have to. Like I said above if the market dictates they will pay more. (See your example of bribing (paying)). Looks like I'm right. Don't tell Cactus he likes the world he lives in.

OUMick

Then why is the first thing a union would do about wages is look at a companies profit margins?

According to you, people don't deserve decent wages which has me convinced that you're either a slug from the Memphis ivory towers or a managent prick that's hoplessly besotted with Fred S.

Done here.

What does a union have to do with free market?

vantexan

So they will pay up if they have to. Like I said above if the market dictates they will pay more. (See your example of bribing (paying)). Looks like I'm right. Don't tell Cactus he likes the world he lives in.
When they offer a 3 month only bump up in pay to incentivize couriers to not quit before Christmas it's essentially a bribe. Only paid out in markets where couriers have job options.

OUMick

When they offer a 3 month only bump up in pay to incentivize couriers to not quit before Christmas it's essentially a bribe. Only paid out in markets where couriers have job options.

Well that's where they have to pay. If they felt the need to do it everywhere, they would. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Van, why are you wasting your time on that clown? He is obviously either brainwashed management or one who is bleeding purple. One that Fedex hasn't screwed over....yet. Every dog has its day, especially at Fedex. Some just take longer to get theirs.

OUMick

Look, I'm not trying to insult you but it's an unskilled labor job. You can't expect to make the money of skilled laborer. Why should they pay a person that has been there 10 years 5k more than someone who has been there 1 year. They both do the same job.