Well I can now say I was wrong

STFXG

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1433882679.374878.jpg

There's a reason.

oldngray

nowhere special
what do they mean by "lanes'?

Yeah, that is a confusing graphic. Without knowing the source of the data or even what it is trying to show it probably means little. Normally FedEx Ground is as slow or slower so maybe they included Surepost in with the UPS numbers.

STFXG

Yeah, that is a confusing graphic. Without knowing the source of the data or even what it is trying to show it probably means little. Normally FedEx Ground is as slow or slower so maybe they included Surepost in with the UPS numbers.

What is confusing about it? FedEx Ground is faster than UPS Ground from point A to point B. I thought that was pretty common knowledge. Trains slow UPS down.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
What is confusing about it? FedEx Ground is faster that UPS Ground from point A to point B. I thought that was pretty common knowledge. Trains slow UPS down.

So a "lane" is anything from point A to point B. Never heard it called that. What part of the sticks are you from?

STFXG

We have maps showing transit times and all the shipping lanes in our network. The hub and spoke system is pretty impressive. Adding buildings all over the country to continue to speed up the system. Ground has been building the network pretty aggressively the last 5-6 years. Still no where near as large as UPS. I believe you guys still have 3x more trucks on the ground. Which explains the need for trains.

I'm in the west. And yes, I deliver to the sticks. :)

STFXG

And it could be called a shipping route? Not sure. I don't do linehaul. Studied international shipping a bit and that's the term for sea lanes.

rod

Retired 22 years
We have maps showing transit times and all the shipping lanes in our network. The hub and spoke system is pretty impressive. Adding buildings all over the country to continue to speed up the system. Ground has been building the network pretty aggressively the last 5-6 years. Still no where near as large as UPS. I believe you guys still have 3x more trucks on the ground. Which explains the need for trains.

I'm in the west. And yes, I deliver to the sticks. :)

I'm no longer one of the "you guys" (just ask upstate). I quit caring how my stuff was shipped when I retired. All I care about is that its as fast as possible (even if its ground) and it gets to me in one piece. I order a lot of stuff and would say the majority of it (if its small) l comes USPS-with Fedex Ground second then UPS last. If it is a larger item FedEx Ground usually brings it. UPS has maps with transit times also but I don't think they call them lanes--anyone know?

STFXG

We (Ground) have lost a significant amount of volume to SmartPost. Most of our trucks go out with around 80% of the volume we did a few years ago and the truck is still full. Lots of oversized stuff. We also used to get paid a premium for oversized packages, which we no longer do. New updates are supposed to route some of that SmartPost volume back for delivery when we are already going there. Same idea as what UPS does with SurePost.

We are getting killed with oversized though. FedEx can undercut UPS on price with those, take a bigger profit, and pay us the same as they do for an envelope.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
And it could be called a shipping route? Not sure. I don't do linehaul. Studied international shipping a bit and that's the term for sea lanes.

A lane is a major city to a major city. Usually from hub to hub.

Chicago to Charlotte.
Louisville to Detroit.
Memphis to St. Louis.
Toledo to Boston.

About 10 years ago, UPS pulled a bunch of trailers off the train coming from Chicago to Charlotte because FedEx was beating us by a day in this lane. It added quite a few feeder runs.